1 ½ tbsp (22.5 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp (10 mL) crushed garlic
¾ cup (85 mL) chopped onion
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried basil
3 cups (750 mL) chopped broccoli (1 large head)
¾ cup (85 mL) dried green lentils
4 cups (1 L) low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp (30 mL) parmesan cheese, grated
Optional: 2 green onions, chopped (for garnish)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add the carrots, celery and basil and cook for a few more minutes until the spices coat them nicely.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour covered, covered.
6. Using a wand blender, puree till smooth. Garnish with green onions if desired.
Makes three 2 cup (500 mL) servings. Freeze some portions for workdays on the run.
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
This does sound wonderful & I know DS will eat it...I'm going to make a batch and add some spinach to it for even more of a boost! Thanks!