Thread: Vegetarian Grain Soup
09-23-2004, 04:04 PM #1
Vegetarian Grain Soup
Before I make this filling vegetarian soup, I look in the cupboard to check for small amounts of grains or legumes I might want to use up, and I toss them into the soup. So even though this recipe calls for equal amounts of split peas, barley, and lentils, feel free to substitute one cup of any dried legumes or grains you have on hand that sound good to you.
- 2 quarts Vegetable Broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 12-inch-thick rounds
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- One 14 1/2-ounce can tomatoes with juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1/3 cup split peas
- 1/3 cup lentils, preferably tiny French lentilles de Puy
- 1/4 small head chopped green cabbage (about 2 cups)
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 yellow squash, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, or chives, for garnish
1. Bring the broth, water, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic, and thyme to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Add the celery root, barley, split peas, and lentils and cook for 40 minutes.
3. Add the cabbage, potato, zucchini, and squash. Simmer until all of the ingredients are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Serve hot, ladled into soup bowls and sprinkled with herbs
Reprinted from BACK TO THE TABLE The Reunion of Food and Family by Art Smith Copyright &c 2001 by Art Smith
09-23-2004, 11:58 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jul 2002
- Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
- Blog Entries
- Rep Power
I'm copying this one and definitely putting it in my recipe book and going to try it later. Thanks Ellise.
09-30-2004, 06:16 PM #3
By DJ1972 in forum Kitchen BasicsReplies: 8Last Post: 12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
By staciah in forum Question and AnswerReplies: 4Last Post: 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
By peanut in forum AppliancesReplies: 2Last Post: 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
By homesteadmamma in forum Homesteading and gardeningReplies: 1Last Post: 10-09-2002, 12:20 PM
By Sara Noel in forum Homesteading and gardeningReplies: 14Last Post: 08-20-2002, 04:40 PM