I need some soup suggestions - not recipes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb I need some soup suggestions - not recipes

I don't think I've EVER followed a recipe exactly from start to finish. Soups especially. I believe that soups are a great way to use up leftovers and small quantities of foods, and to stretch the budget. However, I'm stuck in a rut. My soups are bland and they all tend to taste the same.

My basic soup is a poultry broth (turkey or chicken), with potatoes, carrots, & onion. If I have celery I use it, but if not, I have dried celery leaves. I usually season with sage, dill, garlic powder, maybe some rosemary, a bit of cayenne pepper, and a dash of salt. I add more salt to my bowl at the table, but dh & dd's are fine low salt. I also may use rice or noodles (homemade or commercial) and if I do that, I may or may not eliminate the potato (since both are starch.

I tried to make something different this week, but it was SO bland. I had turkey broth, fake 'meat' (soy strips), white beans (AKA navy beans), kidney beans & pinto beans. Plus potatoes, carrots & onion. And seasonings similar to those listed above. It just had so little flavor.

I am getting some beef bones next week & can make some beef broth, as well as a turkey that I can use for meat in the soups. But I just need some ideas. What can I do to spice it up a bit? (Not too much tho, little kids, y'know). What seasonings do you use?

TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about some Italian spices? A can of chopped tomatoes with some oregano and basil?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What made my turkey soup better ...After a holiday meal is to put the leftover gravy in the soup too. It adds so much flavor.

ssh...I've even put in stuffing

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find that anything with beans needs a lot of flavour and I agree with pkelly, tomatoes, oregano, garlic, parsley, basil and bayleaf.
    I use that combo for anything with tomato.

For a soup with rice I use curry, you can make your own that's spicy without being hot - just leave out the chilli. I make a tasty curried onion, celery and carrot soup.

For plain vegetable soup I always add barley, it thickens it up and adds a lovely nutty flavour. I also add worcester sauce or soy sauce to this for added flavour.

You can make great soups by just blending one vegetable that has been boiled with an onion - pumpkin, spinach, peas, caulflower, brocolli etc. The onion adds a lot to the flavour but it's the other vegetable that dominates. I add a slurp of cream too after I finish cooking these soups to make them creamy.

Valerie, I never follow recipes either, I just get general ideas from them. It's a great way to cook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These are just the ideas I'm looking for! Keep 'em coming!

I also was realizing (after I posted) that the bean & vegetable soup had NO fat in it. A bit would probably help the flavor. I usually always skim it off of my broths before I can them, but maybe I'll freeze small bits of skimmed fat to add to soups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of my favorite soups: curried squash or pumpkin. I usually do it by sauteeing a little onion, garlic and the curry powder together, then blending in broth and cooked squash. Adjust for desired thickness and add some cream, if you like. It'd delish.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put onions and minced garlic in many, many foods that I cook. I'd use a lot more garlic, actually, but DH doesn't like it nearly as well as I do. I also favor cilantro and parsley.

Honestly, I just grab random spices from my spice rack sometimes when I need more flavor. Open it, smell it, decide if it suits the flavor of the dish... and add a bit. Nothing organized about it, lol, but it works for me.

Another thing I use for soups or gravies is powdered boullion... not enough to make all the broth, but, maybe a teaspoon here and there for just a bit of extra  flavor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi...in most of my tomato based soups, chile, sauce; I usually add cinnamon, and a few tablespoons of salsa. you could use the ingred. of salsa....I try to have chopped red and green peppers in the freezer. Then I can just throw in a handful. (buy them when they are cheap....chop and freeze). I have also added ginger and nutmeg in small amounts for a bit of flavor...think German pot roast.

As far as different ingredients....try a sweet potato chopped up, shredded cabbage instead of noodles. My Mom made a simple soup that we all loved....left over macaroni and cheese...mixed with tomato soup. She called it "pizza soup". To us it was a treat, but I suspect it was her way of stretching things.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I personally lurve a potato soup made out of left over mashed potatoes. I saute' an onion in a little bit of butter and throw in some home made (left over) bacon, chopped in bits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One word

Chipolte!!!!!

Think, tomatoe based, a little brown sugar, everything in your fridges bottom drawers, beans, and smoked chili peppers.

Very yummy,

Different everytime (like a soup should be)

With squash one of my favourite things to do is to smash it, soup it up with milk, salt it a bit and add several cardamom seeds. Very delicate, exotic and delicious.

babs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the onions and garlic. I think what makes or breaks a soup is the way you start the onions. You have to sautee them to past soft and a bit browned. I love garlic in soup.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The "fake meat" soy products really don't add flavor to soup. I think its because the flavor is not in the soy, it's added to it. I sometimes use the sausage style soy crumbles in my cabbage soup, but wait till the end to add them. It is the same way with turkey "ham" or "sausage."

For an oriental flavored soup I add a couple of squirts of low sodium soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos, garlic, a little ginger and sesame seeds if I happen to have them. I used to have an oriental seasoning blend I used a lot but haven't been able to find it lately. Sometimes I also add a couple of squirts of Worchestershire sauce to soup to zip it up a bit.

We like hearty soup so I often use rice, pasta, beans, lentils etc. I think you do need more other seasonings when you use them though. DH is fond of Italian spices so I often use an Italian blend I get for a good price at a kitchen outlet store.

I haven't tried it yet, but have been coming across a lot of soup recipes with fresh spinach or kale in them. That might also add some flavor as does cabbage.

I don't add salt to anything. The only salt we even have in the house is for the ice cream freezer. I've been cooking this way since I was a child, so don't miss it. DH has helped me with other spices though. If you use any canned products in your soup they are already loaded with salt. Broth and buillion cubes, crystals, etc. are really loaded. Some seasoning blends (even most lemon pepper) contain salt. Even certain vegetables such as celery are high in sodium. So added salt is really not needed, especially if your soup is rich in flavor from the spices and foods you use in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

summer savoury and sage and poultry seasoning are great additions to anything where you want a sausage flavour.

Chemically, fats carry flavour and enhance them so make sure you have some in the soup. I start EVERY soup with butter or olive oil.

I'm a fan of sauteeing onions, celery and spices such as a pinch of curry or chili in butter to start.

I ALWAYS brown the meat, fat and skin of any meat based soup FIRST in some hot olive oil till it sticks to the bottom, and all sides are browned. THEN add the water. Makes a rich broth.

Some people roast the bones then start their soup, and wash out the pan with your soup water. Don't lose the brown bits, they are the flavour.

Let it sit and marry the flavours a day in the fridge BEFORE you harden and skim off the fat, because the fat flavours the broth in that time. After a day you can skim off the hard fat, and your broth will still be tasty.

A word about skimming the scum that rises when you cook meat based soups. Please skim and discard. It doesn't add a thing to the finished product and actually can detract from flavour and appearance. Good chefs always skim and discard. Don't be afraid of losing the soup with it, some goes down the drain, there is plenty more.

Remember onions, celery, parsley, and salt for the beginnings. Fry them gently in butter, sprinkle with salt and add a few whole pepper corns and a bay leaf for a good basic chicken or meat based broth.

When you are finished cooking the skin and bones and fat and meat, those onions and so on will need straining out too. They've given their all to the soup, and the sad remains DON'T ADD ANYTHING nice. This is stock you have created, and it needs straining. I let it sit in the fridge for a day, then skim fat, heat it to liquid, then strain it.

Strain it, and start the rest of the soup additions using the highly flavoured stock as the base.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Since I like to avoid washing extra dishes, I wonder ....

Could you saute a BUNCH of onions, then freeze them in 1/2 cup portions? That would make starting the soup much easier on subsequent meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

AWESOME suggestions!! Thank you!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast