Chicken soup

Thread: Chicken soup

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Chicken soup

I cooked a chicken to night and thought id make some soup tomorrow

I have never made chicken soup before - do i just shove the carcass in a pot and boil with water??

what do i need to add to it?

thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hi - i have some soup cooking right now! so i made a roast chicken last night, took off the breast and some drumstick meat for our meal, then i popped the carcass (ew) in a pot and covered it well with water. i put in a bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. i didn't bother with anything else as the chicken had been cooked with garlic and thyme. let it cook with a lid on a low heat for a couple of hours. then i remove the bones, take off every bit of chicken (much easier after its been cooked) and shred it. drain the stock with a colander, discard the bones and put the shredded chicken in the stock. when you are ready to make the soup - best the next day, as overnight the fat will rise to the top and you can remove it. then i finely diced an onion and a carrot, sauted it in olive oil and added the stock and chicken. i put in another bay leaf and a couple of cups of water. an hour or so later i put in some rice noodles (but any would work). this is only the second time i've made it but i think it will be a steady favourite (kids love it). i remember when i was a kid my dad would make it, and just before serving he'd crack an egg in the pot and swirl it around. it would go into pieces and was very yummy. i might try that tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sheidi View Post
    hi - i have some soup cooking right now! so i made a roast chicken last night, took off the breast and some drumstick meat for our meal, then i popped the carcass (ew) in a pot and covered it well with water. i put in a bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. i didn't bother with anything else as the chicken had been cooked with garlic and thyme. let it cook with a lid on a low heat for a couple of hours. then i remove the bones, take off every bit of chicken (much easier after its been cooked) and shred it. drain the stock with a colander, discard the bones and put the shredded chicken in the stock. when you are ready to make the soup - best the next day, as overnight the fat will rise to the top and you can remove it. then i finely diced an onion and a carrot, sauted it in olive oil and added the stock and chicken. i put in another bay leaf and a couple of cups of water. an hour or so later i put in some rice noodles (but any would work). this is only the second time i've made it but i think it will be a steady favourite (kids love it). i remember when i was a kid my dad would make it, and just before serving he'd crack an egg in the pot and swirl it around. it would go into pieces and was very yummy. i might try that tonight.
    Yummy! I like carrots and macaroni in my chicken soup. The macaroni makes the soup thicker.