Any Kind of Bean Soup
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Any Kind of Bean Soup

I love this recipe because it's inexpensive, and oh so yummy...and oh so impromptu...

I buy whatever kind of beans strike my fancy. I soak them. I cook them and add whatever spices strike my fancy (that's what "to taste" is) and throw in whatever kind of veggies and/or meat I have. I know this sounds vague...and it is vague by design. There is no magic trick to it. You let the beans soak over night. I wash them after they've soaked. And then, I use either water to cook them in or I sometimes use 2 larges cans of canned tomatoes or...I use small cans of tomato paste and dilute it with water. The glory of it is, you can do no wrong. You can't mess it up. Once you start making your own soup, you'll never buy canned soup again.

I will put anything and everything in a soup. If fresh veggies are too expensive, I'll buy frozen veggies. Sometimes I'll mix and match frozen and fresh veggies. I experiment with spices. I like to spice it up with Cayenne Pepper (not for kids or the faint of heart). Sometimes I add meat, but that's on rare occasion. My daughter-in-law likes my "veggie" soup with ground beef added. You can also throw in a little rice, a little macaroni, barley,or whatever.

One of my Mom's favorite soups started with a base of 2 large cans of tomatoes, 1/2 med onion (chopped finely) ,1/2 cup celery (chopped finely), 1 small bag frozen mixed veggies, 1 can corn, 1/2 cup mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste, garlic (smash 1 toe)n. In a dutch oven, sautee onion and celery in 1T olive oil (Mom would nod her head yes if you used butter *S* or any thing else you wanted to use). Add garlic. Stir while cooking for 45 to 60 seconds. Be careful not to overcook or it will taste bitter Add the cans of tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Add the bag of veggies. Stir and bring to a simmer again Open can of corn and drain. Add corn. Continue to simmer. Add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are tender. (This takes only a few minutes). Add the spices to taste. Variations include oregano, basil, tyme.
    And of coure, cayenne pepper. Serve with biscuits/crackers and a beverage.

I truly believe that no one can make any soup like you can. And, no one can make any soup like your Mom did. If you are not a vegetarian, you can make the same soup and add ground beef.

You can also make any kind of bean soup...or pea soup. I love split pea soup. Soups are provide good nutrition, they are filling, and they are my food of choice (particularly in the winter). Oh dear...I'm going on far too long.

Blessings to you all. Make some soup and tell me how much you love it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds really good, we've been eating lots of beans lately. I may give this a try before long. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

UIm..lI forgot to add the obvious (to me) which is that the beans have been soaked, washed and cooked before I put the other ingedients in. Also, if adding meat, either add it cooked and separately at the end, or add it and cook it wth the beans while they are cooking. Meat and poultry should be washed and thoroughly cooked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you think this would work in a crock pot?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep...I'm sure it would. You'd just wash and sort the beans first. Let them cook over night, and then start putting the rest of your ingredients in. I usually soak them overnight in a regualar pot. But, you can do doulbe duty by putting them on low and letting them cook all night. I'd put them on low and make sure I had plenty of water in the pot. Burnt beans smell pretty bad. *S*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My favorite bean soup recipe is simply this. Just like you said, soak pintos overnight. I fry up 3 or 4 slices of bacon in a dutch oven. Break bacon up and leave in pot. Cut up one onion (diced) and saute in bacon grease. Add the beans and water to cover 1/4' over beans. Add just a "hint" of salt and pepper. Mince 1 clove garlic. Add 2 cans of Rotel (tomatoes chiles). Let that simmer til beans are soft. I add cilantro at the last minute to give it that mexican "kick". It's a hit at pot lucks, bbq's. I also make a batch of cornbread (mexican cornbread) in my cast iron skillet. Mmmm mmmm good. I think I just made my menu for tomorrow night

Be blessed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally agree that once you make your own you won't buy canned soup. I was brought up on home made soup (north of Scotland) and i love all kinds. I freeze left over veg and even salad now and then throw it into a batch of veggie soup - comes out different every time.
    Thanks for the reminder of how lovely soup is. I rarely follow a recipe but did find one for something like Red Nile Soup or River Nile Soup which was fabulous - spicy and yum. Found it on the internet - can't remember if it was recipezaar or another recipe site.
    W
    edited - tried to put up a smiley for Scotland and it came up with a red faced one! had to take it out immediately!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm a big believer in refridgerator soup -- anytime we have any leftover veggies, mashed potatoes, meats, etc. they go into a big container in the freezer and become refridgerator soup at a later date. Normally we freeze it, then take it out, dump it into the crock with about a cup of chicken stock, and let it go for the night. Yay for crockpot soup!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Being seasonal eaters here,
    it's time for gazpacho as the summer time soup
    I will start making pots of veggie soups again when
    it gets chilly in the fall.

You are absolutely correct,
    being a soup from scratch cook,
    the only canned I buy is tomato
    for the kids.