Favorite Southern dishes... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by foxxyroxie View Post
    I'm a fairly new southern belle... only been in the south (Alabama) for a lil over 2 years after being born and raised in the north (Michigan). Can beat beans, turnip or collard greens, banana pudding and cobber in my book. BTW... looking for an authentic tried and true southern cobbler recipe if anyone has one...
    Well, here's a belated welcome...This is one of my family's favorite recipes for a tasty southern peach cobbler.
    Hope everyone enjoys it!!

Southern Peach Cobbler

1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup milk
    1 stick of butter or margarine - ((your choice and preference))
    1 large can of peaches - ((can use those canned in juice or lite syrup))
    1 tsp or more - ((to your own taste))

Melt your butter in the dish you are going to use in the oven.
    In a small bowl mix the sugar and flour then add milk, pour into the melted butter then pour the peaches into that.
    Don't mix anything, then sprinkle cinnamon over the top of that.
    Bake about an hour or so on 400.

Thanks to all for submitting their excellent sounding Southern Recipes...I want to cook them all lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love Southern cooking, it's what I grew up on. Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken and dressin', country fried steak,
    fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, pinto beans with fried taters and cornbread. I guess us Southern folks like our fried foods!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by DixieJ View Post
    Love Southern cooking, it's what I grew up on. Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken and dressin', country fried steak,
    fried catfish, fried green tomatoes, pinto beans with fried taters and cornbread. I guess us Southern folks like our fried foods!
    YES!! Of course, we all know that it's not the best for us, so we have to compensate in our diets...but it's awfully good...

This is my favorite way to fix our beans and cornbread...

3 cups Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans
    1 medium to large onion-diced
    salt and pepper-to taste
    1 ham hock
    water

I soak a desired amount of either Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans overnight, after I've already picked through them.
    When I get up in the morning, I drain the beans and rinse.
    Add back to the Slow Cooker. Add enough water to cover them by about an inch.
    Add onion. Cover.
    Turn Slow Cooker on high and cook for about an hour.
    Turn Slow cooker down on low and let cook for several hours until desired texture. I prefer our beans with a little bite, not too mushy.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Serve with cornbread and extra onion. Yummy...

Enjoy!

PS...
    Not trying to be crass...but we've found that by rinsing the soaked beans really, really well...it helps tremendously with the...uhmmm....gas emissions thing...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I lived in the South, I looooved hush puppies. However, it was only good in moderation. Southern food just has way too much fat, cholesterol and sodium in it for me to eat all of the time. I always wondered how people lived past 40 eating all of that stuff.

I will, however, admit that I do love me some bbq pig. Pig roasts were big for us and a fellow co-worker had this awesome recipe for a marinade for the pig. I found that it was basically the same thing that a lot of southern BBQ places used on their meat. It had a lot of vinegar in it, but it was pretty tasty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My family's Southern, but we eat our fried food in moderation and it's mostly in the form of an accent for yummy veggies fresh from the garden. We're more likely these days to have grilled chicken than fried -- it's just too hot to deep fry in the summer and the scent lingers! Heaven for me would be a huge plate of purplehull peas topped with tomato relish and some hot water cornbread. I like fried fish every so often, biscuits with gravy or mayhaw jelly, new potatoes (boiled), candied sweet potatoes, dressing (no hardboiled egg in mine, though) and Cajun cooking: crawfish, etouffee, red beans and rice, shrimp and grits, gumbo, etc. I like chicken strips, too. Pecan pie, sweet potato pie, and banana pudding are always good. I don't eat a lot of pork, so ribs, ham, fried chops, etc., are out for me.
    Last edited by MyMelody; 05-23-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Subject-verb agreement!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MyMelody View Post
    My family's Southern, but we eat our fried food in moderation and it's mostly in the form of an accent for yummy veggies fresh from the garden. We're more likely these days to have grilled chicken than fried -- it's just too hot to deep fry in the summer and the scent lingers! Heaven for me would be a huge plate of purplehull peas topped with tomato relish and some hot water cornbread. I like fried fish every so often, biscuits with gravy or mayhaw jelly, new potatoes (boiled), candied sweet potatoes, dressing (no hardboiled egg in mine, though) and Cajun cooking: crawfish, etouffee, red beans and rice, shrimp and grits, gumbo, etc. I like chicken strips, too. Pecan pie, sweet potato pie, and banana pudding are always good. I don't eat a lot of pork, so ribs, ham, fried chops, etc., are out for me.
    I agree fried foods should be eaten in moderation, and to adjust your diet accordingly.
    Thankfully, since DH LOVES fried foods, my fabulous MIL gave me several pieces of Todd English's Green Pans. They're the perfect solution for us. You only need to use a small amount of fat,( butter, margarine, or oil), to cook your item. So far, it's working well for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    YES!! Of course, we all know that it's not the best for us, so we have to compensate in our diets...but it's awfully good...

This is my favorite way to fix our beans and cornbread...

3 cups Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans
    1 medium to large onion-diced
    salt and pepper-to taste
    1 ham hock
    water

I soak a desired amount of either Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans overnight, after I've already picked through them.
    When I get up in the morning, I drain the beans and rinse.
    Add back to the Slow Cooker. Add enough water to cover them by about an inch.
    Add onion. Cover.
    Turn Slow Cooker on high and cook for about an hour.
    Turn Slow cooker down on low and let cook for several hours until desired texture. I prefer our beans with a little bite, not too mushy.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Serve with cornbread and extra onion. Yummy...

Enjoy!

PS...
    Not trying to be crass...but we've found that by rinsing the soaked beans really, really well...it helps tremendously with the...uhmmm....gas emissions thing...

This is how I cook my beans too, except I don't use the slow cooker, just a big old pot on top the stove on low heat. So yummy! I'll have to try the slow cooker next time I make them....not sure why I never thought of using it, makes a lot of sense to do so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
    This is how I cook my beans too, except I don't use the slow cooker, just a big old pot on top the stove on low heat. So yummy! I'll have to try the slow cooker next time I make them....not sure why I never thought of using it, makes a lot of sense to do so.
    I guess we'll just swap each others methods...lol I'm going to try cooking them on the stove next time. I've never tried to this way, but my Grandmother cooked her's this way...and they were ALWAYS sooooooo good.
    ps
    ((I can honestly tell you the reason I've always used a slow cooker for mine...low maintenance....lol))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Old Man is a Southern Boy and I'm as Yankee as can be (even born in Boston )

He says my cornbread is better than anyone (except his Grandmothers... and I take that as a compliment)

1 box jiffy corn bread mix - made following directions
    add 1T sugar and 3 shakes of cinnamon...

Bake in a glass pie pan for 20 mins or until firm.

When still hot, mix about 1T soft butter and a squeeze of honey together... brush over the entire top of the corn bread.

I let the butter/honey soak in and cool down before slicing in triangles (like a pizza)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    Old Man is a Southern Boy and I'm as Yankee as can be (even born in Boston )

He says my cornbread is better than anyone (except his Grandmothers... and I take that as a compliment)

1 box jiffy corn bread mix - made following directions
    add 1T sugar and 3 shakes of cinnamon...

Bake in a glass pie pan for 20 mins or until firm.

When still hot, mix about 1T soft butter and a squeeze of honey together... brush over the entire top of the corn bread.

I let the butter/honey soak in and cool down before slicing in triangles (like a pizza)
    Hhhmmmmm...this recipe sounds very interesting...and YUMMY! I've just got to try this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    When I lived in the South, I looooved hush puppies. However, it was only good in moderation.
    There is a baked hush puppy recipe. You put it into mini muffin cups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ahmom View Post
    There is a baked hush puppy recipe. You put it into mini muffin cups.
    I've GOT to find that recipe. My BF just loooooves hush puppies...I could really care less about them, but I might be more apt to eat them if they're not fried. Fried foods and my tummy don't get along usually But I've really been craving some fried catfish....so now at least the hush pups can be baked

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Cornbread Salad

This is really good in HOT days.

2 Cans of Pinto Beans
    2 Bell Peppers
    2 Tomatoes
    1-2 Onions
    Mayo
    Small jar of sweet pickles
    Corn Bread
    Bacon

Cook corn bread according to directions. Let cool. While this is cooling, cook your bacon and then crumble. Dice up your vegtables. Take your mayo about 2 cups and the juice from your sweet pickles and mix it together, set aside.

Crumble up your corn bread in the bottom of a pyrex pan, then pour your pinto beans on top, juice and all. Then layer bell peppers, tomatoes and onion. Pour your dressing over top and then add your crmbled bacon on top as you serve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This does sound good!
    It's also simular to 'cornbread salad'. It's a recipes a good friend gave me several years ago...It's a cold dish that's perfect for hot weather also.
    Thanks for sharing!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Southern food I love ..... chicken and slick dumplings,pinto beans and corn bread with a side of hot peppers of your choice,pork chops with gravey and biscuts,and many more.I was born in big stone gap VA my mom from Kentuckey my Dad from Big stone so there has been so many food from the south I LOVE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast