Hi. I'm new to the eastern Mississippi area
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Hi. I'm new to the eastern Mississippi area

Hubby was laid off in 2010. After trying to work with a former co-worker to start up a business, he got serious about looking for another job. We were very lucky that he got three offers all at the same time but all of them required relocating. We decided on Mississippi.

We know no one here. It took us about 6 months to find a house to buy but now that we're here, there is so much we like. Our biggest problem, though, is developing friendships. We're in a rural area and everyone around here seems to have known each other forever (seriously - some families go back to the civil war or before!) We are definitely the "newbies".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome from New York..Glad that your hubby found a job along with moving to a area that your family is happy with..I think you will find yourself quite comfortable here at the village lot's of great friendly caring member's we have here. Enjoy!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome to Mississippi!
    I'm in the central part of the state.
    As for making friends, it won't take too long - we're a very friendly bunch!
    If you have children, go to school events and meet the other parents.
    Or church, if you're a church-goer.
    Or just do what the rest of us do - strike up a conversation with a total stranger in the check out line at the grocery store, WalMart, Target, etc.

Again, welcome to our beautiful state!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, CookieLee! I didn't realize you were in Mississippi! I was born down on the Coast and like you mentioned, all my relatives on my grandmother's side had lived there since...forever I think.

As an adult, I've moved all over the place and understand what you mean...it's hard to develop friendships as adults. Work, church, school, community events...maybe join a YMCA type of thing if that's in the budget. One of the things I've found is getting out in the afternoon and taking walks around the neighborhood when people might be out working in their yards. If you have a dog it can be an instant conversation starter. Around here dog parks and dog events are very popular.

I have a relatively new neighbor above me who now knows half the people in this complex. He did this by bringing some of us containers of homemade chicken soup, delivering little cupcakes when his daughter was over for the weekend, etc. He took the kids to the eastern coast for summer vacation. When they returned, they brought all of us 3-4 pieces of taffy wrapped in saran wrap and tied with a ribbon. Instant heart warmers. Just those simple but thoughtful gestures.

It does take time, but you'll get there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WJ, when we first moved to MS we had an apartment in Brandon because that was the only place we could find to rent. When we bought, we moved much farther east. I'm about an hour away from the Alabama border.

SueBee, we're rural, rural, rural. We have one neighbor across the street who we have met but they are almost never home. Our "next door" neighbor is a few acres over. It is an older guy and his wife. He is retired but his wife still works. He is super sweet. Other than that, I would have to walk the dog on the main road and fear getting hit by a logging truck - or a chicken truck - and even then the next closest neighbor is a mile away. My DD has one friend who is about that far so we figured out how she can safely cut through the woods to get to her house without risking her life on the road. Our closest WalMart is 25 minutes away and it is tiny. There is no Target (okay, the one by WJ is 80 miles away). It is taking some getting used to.

I do try to go to church and bible study on Wednesdays. I'm signed up to volunteer at a small hospital north of me. I'm hoping that will get me out of the house. I signed up to volunteer at everything possible at my DD's school but apparently because no one knows anything about me, they're reluctant to call. I bugged the volunteer co-ordinator and definitely got the "don't call us we'll call you" routine. I keep reminding DD and myself that it will take time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I see. You are talking seriously rural. That does make things difficult. I'm such a city slicker...I was thinking rural as in "large lots." Hopefully your volunteer work at the hospital will yield some friendships and social activity groups. Getting to know the nurses might help. Most of them will probably be on the youngish side with youngish kids. Must admit, I've never lived anywhere rural - just moved around a lot in my younger years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The comment about chicken trucks gives me a pretty good idea where you live.
    I worked in Morton for about a year - at the chicken plant - it was 100 mile round trip every day!

You're right - it's just going to take time. Hang in there!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am from rural Oktibbeha County (about 20 minutes from Mississippi State University). Now I live a little north west of there.

Sign up for PTO and go to meetings. Give the other parents and staff a chance to get to know you. By next school year, you will wish they didn't have your number.