Your favorite Thing About Living in the South - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bamamomto4 View Post
    oh...and I like lighting bugs and rolly polies lol (not sure if they're everywhere)

Edited to add: We would sit out in the evening and see who seen the 1st lighting bug lol...then it was time to catch them lol
    Me too!!!!! My aunt and her daughter live in Idaho and was here last summer. Her daughter caught lightning bugs for the first time because they don't have them there. I'm not sure about the roly polies though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was younger we'd pull the lighting part off and stick them all over us lol....but thats not nice.My kids have to let them go after they play with them awhile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL ewwwwwwwww.... that's gross! My brother used to step on them and then smear them across the sidewalk. It used to make me so mad! lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
    LOL ewwwwwwwww.... that's gross! My brother used to step on them and then smear them across the sidewalk. It used to make me so mad! lol
    OH I KNOW..I wont even touch them now.Makes me gag thinking of what I did.Like I said...my kids can catch them,a few at a time, but they have to be nice and not harm them and then we let them go

You know I dont see as many now as I did as a kid.Or maybe it just seems that way.Now I feel bad cause we killed so many

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I love it when friends say, 'how's your mama 'n' 'em?
    There ya' go!! Ya'll come back now...y'hear??? Sweet tea, fried green tomatoes, Co-cola and moon pies too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Roger Wood sausage, Vidalia onions fresh from the fields, local, fresh shrimp, crabs, oysters, crawdad's, frog legs and fish that you catch or gather yourself, wild berries free for the picking, fresh field peas, homegrown tomatoes, cukes, squash, okra, hot peppers and corn from the garden. Homemade cane syrup, the list is endless.

LOL, I have to mail my son in Indiana Roger Wood sausage. He found a little soul food restaurant close by him that let's him buy grits. We were sure he could find Roger Wood sausage in Gatlinburg, but there was none to be found. Nobody had even heard of it. He simply loves fried R.W. sausage, grits & eggs w/peanut butter mixed in. My father-in-law started him on the peanut butter/grits thingy when he was a baby.

Reminds me of the Alabama song, "Down Home".....Where they know you by name and treat you like family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the friendliness. You can smile at a perfect stranger and they will smile back.

I also love the fact that it never really gets cold and we can swim almost all year long.

Gulf Coast beaches are the most beautiful ones in the world.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MarshHen View Post
    I live on the Georgia coast. I love the mild winters, long summers, good food and sweet tea.

You said it all except I would add in southern hospitality.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say the same as alot of you gals. Southern food is the best. Can you believe there are people in this country( Yankees) who don't eat Biscuits and Gravy??? What kind of existance is that?
    Not the mention fried foods. They do them everywhere but it's a way of life down here to just fry everything. Love it.
    The manners is a big one. When I lived up north( Baltimore) I found people just rude and impatient. Cashiers for instance. Here they will comment on every little thing, ask about your day, say Yes Maam or Sir.
    Of course everyone here uses their manners. Not so everywhere I don't think.
    I like that southern men( some of them) still tip their hat at women, give up their seats for women. There is still a sense that women are dainty.
    What's not to love about the south?? lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
    Me too!!!!! My aunt and her daughter live in Idaho and was here last summer. Her daughter caught lightning bugs for the first time because they don't have them there. I'm not sure about the roly polies though.

I don't know about everywhere but I never saw any lightning bugs up north and although I think they have rolypolies everywhere they aren't called that anywhere but the south to my knowledge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaof2rugrats View Post
    I would say the same as alot of you gals. Southern food is the best. Can you believe there are people in this country( Yankees) who don't eat Biscuits and Gravy??? What kind of existance is that?
    Not the mention fried foods. They do them everywhere but it's a way of life down here to just fry everything. Love it.
    The manners is a big one. When I lived up north( Baltimore) I found people just rude and impatient. Cashiers for instance. Here they will comment on every little thing, ask about your day, say Yes Maam or Sir.
    Of course everyone here uses their manners. Not so everywhere I don't think.
    I like that southern men( some of them) still tip their hat at women, give up their seats for women. There is still a sense that women are dainty.
    What's not to love about the south?? lol
    I agree with you.My MIL is from Maryland and although she is polite (but shes been down here like 20 yrs) some of her family is rude.I cant stand her sister lol

People dont eat biscuits and gravy or fried food...lord they starve around here.I do a lot of 'from scratch' cooking and thats just the way I've always known how to cook.I do bake chicken and pork chops,but ..a lot of foofds are fried.
    We are known for our hospitality.Ive met many people online over the yrs and they'll say they visited the south and couldnt believe how laid back and nice people were..even ..what THEY called rednecks LOL
    Most men are still polite,especially the older men.The will hold the door open for you and wait till you get there and be like 80 yrs old....Some still tip their hats and says "Howdy ma'am"...now the "yes ma'am" Im not fond of LOL makes me feel old but I know its only from good upbringing.So my friends who have children and have to say "Yes ma'am....and thank you ma'am" I tell them to just say 'thank you ms Tammy'..lol Im 35...and still get carded buying beer or whatever (ssh) so being called 'ma'am' messes up my carding LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And do you know FL doesnt sell sweet tea LOL..we went to Disney in March and NOWHERE cross the FL line to orlando sold sweet tea ...we were SHOCKED LOL....we were coming home and I told hubby I didnt want to have lunch till we hit GA to get SWEET TEA lol

I hear some people talk about how fast paced places are and Im glad Alabama,and the south is still laid back and not in such a hurry.Course now the bigger towns like Birmingham..they are fast paced....rush hour..youd better watch out lol.

I may have already said this but ......The funniest thing that ever happened to me meeting someone online from up north was ..my friend from WI...she though grits were a type of meat LMAO..now if you KNOW what grits are..thats pretty funny lol...
    I ended up sending her some and they loved them

And yes,Ive been called dainty.....also sweet and sassy lol...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the South, females are treated like ladies--the old-fashioned sense.

Most people are friendly.

The food, of course. Oh my, nothing beats good Southern cookin'.

The way we talk is so much more soothing to the ear than the accents from other parts of the U.S.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There' NOTHING I don't love! The mountains, the low-country food, NC BBQ, sweet tea, community, neighbors who say hello, affordable living (for the most part), tons of free recreation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

May I ask what sweet tea is?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To put it in plain Georgia english, sweet tea is the house wine of the South, LOL.

Take a small saucepan and fill it almost full with water and throw in 3 or 4 family sized tea bags. Simmer on top of the stove for about 3-5 minutes. Place sugar (I use two cups to a gallon) in the bottom of your 1 gallon pitcher and pour the hot tea over the sugar, making sure you don't pour the tea bags into the pitcher or break them open. Stir the hot to to dissolve the sugar and add cold tap water till full and serve immediately over ice or chill in fridge. A lemon slice added to the bottom of the glass before the ice and tea is wonderful too.

I drink it 24/7, 7 days a week.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast