Your favorite Thing About Living in the South - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, you ladies are gonna hate me but here goes. I hate living in the south. It's hot and humid and I have allergies all year round. The food is bad for me as I have diabeties. Sweet tea is definately a no no for me. It's good but I can't really have it. The polite people I find to be the most gossipy and since I'm not God fearing I don't really fit into the whole religious scene. There truely is nothing for me here and I can't wait until I can move up north.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MarshHen View Post
    To put it in plain Georgia english, sweet tea is the house wine of the South, LOL.

Take a small saucepan and fill it almost full with water and throw in 3 or 4 family sized tea bags. Simmer on top of the stove for about 3-5 minutes. Place sugar (I use two cups to a gallon) in the bottom of your 1 gallon pitcher and pour the hot tea over the sugar, making sure you don't pour the tea bags into the pitcher or break them open. Stir the hot to to dissolve the sugar and add cold tap water till full and serve immediately over ice or chill in fridge. A lemon slice added to the bottom of the glass before the ice and tea is wonderful too.

I drink it 24/7, 7 days a week.
    I use to make mine like that but managed a Captain D's and we made it in a big coffee pot looking thing lol..So I started making mine in the coffee pot.I use 2 family size(qt size) RED DIAMOND (a must lol) decaf tea bags(cant tell the difference),and 1 and a 4th c sugar...I just eye ball it.(use to use 2 cups as well...truly a southern thing lol)

But yea I use to make mine like that.So did my mom...well heck our whole family does LOL....Aint it funny thinking some people dont drink sweet tea (my MIL is from MD) and you never see tea boiling on the stove.Everytime I go to my families house or someones...there's tea being boiled LOL

Even though I use the coffee pot now,I think next time I will boil mine ...the old fashioned way lol....

We go thru about a gal a day..more in the summer (family of 6...oldest dont drink tea though..shes weird lol)

Gotta have my sweet tea

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
    Okay, you ladies are gonna hate me but here goes. I hate living in the south. It's hot and humid and I have allergies all year round. The food is bad for me as I have diabeties. Sweet tea is definately a no no for me. It's good but I can't really have it. The polite people I find to be the most gossipy and since I'm not God fearing I don't really fit into the whole religious scene. There truely is nothing for me here and I can't wait until I can move up north.

No,I dont hate you....to each their own ya know. I would actually LOVE to move up north.I to hate the heat.and allergies.I mean think of our winters...its like...WHAT WINTER lol....I had my a/c on last week in NOVEMBER.
    My husband COULD get transferred for his job to either Ohio,Indiana,Canada,or Japan but wont....I would move in a heart beat,but no matter where I lived,I'll always be a southern girl.
    Id have to have people ship my red diamond tea though...and other 'southern' food items...
    Honestly..Id get homesick.Im use to small towns....laid back people.I wouldnt fit in a busy,non stopping town.I love the friendly people...people you dont even know who waves everytime they pass your house or pass you on the road....EVERYONE just throws that hand up.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never been there, but I would love to visit! There's so much history there!

Hmmmm... I live in what's termed "South-Central Alaska"...that has "south" in the name...does that count? j/k
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had to explain to a Bostonian a few months ago what sweet tea was. Amazing that restaurants don't sell it up in the north. I remember being in Baltimore asking for sweet tea. What's that? is what I would always get! No other drink like it. We literally go through gallons a day over here.
    Oh and I think it's terrible that whoever it was that said it feels like since she's not god fearing she doesn't fit in. I'm not Christian by any means( religious Jew here) but honestly in the south I've never gotten anything in regards to my religion. I went up north and the anti-semitism was alive and well and they weren't afraid to tell me! I think we're pretty darn tolerant down south in comparison.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaof2rugrats View Post
    I had to explain to a Bostonian a few months ago what sweet tea was. Amazing that restaurants don't sell it up in the north. I remember being in Baltimore asking for sweet tea. What's that? is what I would always get! No other drink like it. We literally go through gallons a day over here.
    Oh and I think it's terrible that whoever it was that said it feels like since she's not god fearing she doesn't fit in. I'm not Christian by any means( religious Jew here) but honestly in the south I've never gotten anything in regards to my religion. I went up north and the anti-semitism was alive and well and they weren't afraid to tell me! I think we're pretty darn tolerant down south in comparison.

Well by religion..we are Baptist...Southern Baptist at that...but I am not religious either.We dont atten church anymore.We went for yrs,but I didnt really like going.Thats bad to say,but Im being honest here.My husband was raised in church..his grandaddy was a preacher...I didnt grow up in church and honestly rather spend my time at home...I know that sounds horrible....

I do feel different around the people we went to church with.I have a friend that goes and I hate cussing around her,but it just slips out and we to drink on occassion.Just for respect I try to watch what I say,but...this same woman will send some 'dirty' emails. I myself think if you go to church and call yourself christian you should act christian...Thats why I quit going.I was only "christian" on Sunday....

Hope that made sense..I got kids hollering for food lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking All of it

the food of course. Nothing beats Mama's home cooking. A nice honey glazed ham, biscuits, green beans, and very cold ice tea! Grits with red-eye gravy. A good piece of tenderloin, breaded and fried.Maybe a touch of the 'lightning when it gets cold I have been out west a few times and could not stand it! Even the air felt wrong. Too dry. The ground was odd looking, not a nice deep red. And the people were so rude. I love the smell of honeysuckle in the summer, and the wild wisteria that turns the trees purple every March. Watching the Yankees complain about the pollen when it blows in yellow clouds across the roads and the way a fraction of an inch of ice or snow can shut down everything. The way old men will tip their hats and hold a door open, calling me"Ma'am" even if I'm young enough to be their grand-daughter. The way everyone is called "honey" or "shugah". My family getting together every holiday, talking loud and enjoying ourselves.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234