Frugal Village Forums banner

What Are Some of Your Favorite Southern Meals?

5K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  ktsmama 
#1 · (Edited)
Since food is and always will be a major southern topic, I thought it would be fun to post some of our favorite meals. You know, some of the meals your momma or grandma put on the table.:leg: LOL, this also includes wild game dishes and what you may call "weird" foods. :box:

Don't forget the desserts, biscuits and sweet tea!!!

O.K., one of my favorites, and I think I started this thread simply because I have been craving this and can't prepare it while living in this camper :angry: is fried pork chops, gravy, lima beans & rice, baked sweet potatoes, and biscuits. Dessert would have to be a big scoop of peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

* Will start moving into the new house this weekend, and hubby and dd know that this will be our first meal in the new house. Already have everything for it bought (except sweet potatoes) and ready to cook, LOL

Your turn :ponder:

#3 ·
LOL, don't tell me you forgot the rice! Or is your house like mine, and rice is a given like sweet tea? Gotta have pickled hot peppers too for peas, and green onions.

O.K., second meal taken care of! Gonna be very busy here the next several weeks with the moving and all, but I'll have a good menu here to fall back on with this thread.

#5 ·
my favorite, but I didn't realize it was a "southern thing" is Chicken & Dumplings :)

with sweet tea .... of course!

2nd favorite - my mom's Thanksgiving turkey & dressing

--- southern confession -- I don't like grits, or gravy, or lima beans, or blk eyed peas, or tomatoes ! :yikes: --- I think I was born on the wrong side of the mason-dixon line !

#6 · (Edited)
Bumplett honey, we forgive you, LOL.

I have a few food confessions of my own. I don't like catfish, chitterlings, hoghead cheese, or blackberries.

Here's why:

Catfish - To strong and fishy tasting. Hubby thinks I'm nuts, LOL! I love to catch them and don't mind cooking them, but I won't, won't eat them. Favorite fish is flounder and brim. YUMMMMMM!!! LOL, just imagine my joy when hubby and brothers set trout lines and catch catfish as big as my 12 yr. old dd! :dead: LOL, this is them trying to get me to help them skin them and cut them up for the freezer!

Chitterlings and hoghead cheese - Yuck-O!! While growing up, it was my job to help clean the chitterlings and help make the hoghead cheese after butching the hogs. I swore, when I grew up, that I would never, ever mess with them again.

Blackberries - I don't like the little seeds.

To hot here still for chicken & dumplings, but it won't be long, hopefully!

#8 ·
I'm with Dixie - give me the country fried steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and fried okra. Leave off the black-eyed peas though, please.

One thing I love and dh can't stand (though he's a Southerner) is pinto beans and cornbread. Mmmmmmmmm!

I love peach cobbler and pecan pie (not together though LOL).

I'm not a catfish eater either. It's not that I don't like the taste, it's just a fish we choose not to eat. Bring on the hushpuppies though!

My fave place to eat has to be Savannah. I make myself sick every time we visit there - especially when we go to The Lady & Sons. I always joke to dh that he's going to have to roll me out.

#9 ·
I am another vote for chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with cream gravy and fried okra. A homemade peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream on top and some sweet tea to wash it all down with and I will be one happy southern belle :D.

#10 ·
I'm the catfish lover! lima beans, black eyed peas, tomato sandwiches, hush puppies, coleslaw, frog legs, corn bread, and blackberry cobbler yum yum!
Not crazy about collards, DH's favorite there. Also dearly love my fil's gumbo!

Laurie in Bradenton

#11 ·
Here are just some of the things I love.
~Fried catfish, hushpuppies, cole slaw, and french fries.
~Cornbread, biscuits and gravy, grits, black eyed peas, lima beans, sweet tea.
~Pecan pie, peach cobbler, apple pie.
~Chicken and dumplings

I'm not really big on fried chicken (I like chicken fingers though). I don't eat chitlins, pork rinds, or any "weird" stuff.

#12 ·
Oh my, my parents were from southern Indiana and I just love Chicken and dumplings. The flat kind of dumplings. I have to go to Cracker Barrel to get them. Nobody else in the house likes them. I also have to say peach cobbler and a blueberry pie. I use to like sweet tea but broke myself and now drink it unsweetened. This is a fun question.

Monner 1

#13 ·
Hubby loves the flat dumplings too, but I like the drop dumplings. Sometimes, LOL, I do both in the same pot. Oh yeah, Cracker Barrel's chicken & dumplings are the best restaurant one's I have found.

I love, love, love tomato sandwiches, but I can't eat too many, or the acid from the tomatoes gives me a rash. :(

We grow our own cabbage and greens (collards & turnips). Love my greens with Balsamic vinegar.

QuilterMom,

Living so close to Savannah, we eat at Lady and Son's every time we are in town. Hubby is the lucky one though, they cater all of the Port's employee lunches and special holiday meals.

#14 ·
Oh boy. . my favorite subject. . southern food. . I love. . .

grits
sweet tea
chicken & dumplings
cabbage with bacon
green beans overloaded with bacon
ham baked with coca cola or pineapple juice
fried bologna sandwiches
tomato sandwiches
squash and zuchinni
country fried steaks
fried okra
fordhooks with ham or bacon
hummingbird cake
banana pudding (only a particular recipe)
pecan pie
collard greens
cornbread
black eyed peas
field peas with snaps
hoecakes
fried snook with hushpuppies
sausage gravy with bisquits
sweet potato pie
sweet potato souffle

I know it's a big list. . but I warned ya'll it was my favorite subject!!!! lol

#16 ·
Here are some of mine:

1. Chuckwagon steak sandwiches w/ Coleslaw on top.
2. Biscuits and milk gravy. I always crumble the biscuits up and pour the
gravy over the top.
3. Hominy Grits (The big yelllow ones).
4. Sage Stuffing. (recipe passed down from my mom).
5. Bean pone (pinto beans with cornbread crumbled up in them and diced
onions on top).
6. Yeast rolls and cinnamon rolls made from the left over dough. (recipe
also passed down from my mom).
7. A special recipe for potato salad handed down by my mom. Everyone
has tasted it always wants me to make it.
8. Applesauce cake with glaze drizzed on top (also passed down from my
mom. It is so moist and yummy. At christmas time I add red or green
food coloring to the glaze. This recipe uses black walnuts which I love.
We used to gather them when I was a kid. I remember we would lay
them out in the driveway to dry and then take the skin off and if you
didn't wear gloves, you sure would get your hands stained.
9. We always picked blackberries and my mom would make cobbler and we
would put it in a bowl and pour cold milk over it.
10. Pecan pie. I can make one in about ten minutes!!
11. Lemonade.

My mom cooked with bacon grease. She kept a coffee can on the stove and added bacon drippings. This really gave food a good flavor, but it is something I don't do.

#17 ·
My apparently make a really good pot of black-eyed peas, because my DH pulls no punches when it comes to food. I only hope he never says this in front of this in front of his mom. She is a true born and bred southen gal. I'm afraid it it way cause a problem.
:nerv2:

#18 ·
My fave meal to eat (but not to cook b/c it's soooo messy and time consuming when I used to have to cook 2 pounds of meat for my family) was chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, green beans, sweet tea and homemade chocolate pie. I don't cook that but once in blue moon anymore since we're trying to lose weight around here.

#19 ·
Oh yum! I was just saying I wished I had my granny here to fix me some good food. I'm pregnant, no need to say more:)
I'm in Alabama.

fried okra
turnip greens w/ham hocks
pintos and cornbread
fried taters
fried pork chops
hashbrown casserole
potato salad
alabama bbq (smoked and pulled, vinegar hot sauce)
fresh green beans with lots of bacon grease
fried corn (pulled off the cob and fried in butter)
homemade biscuits and homemade sausage sweet milk gravy
chocolate dumplings

#21 ·
My mother was a cajun from luziana :D and I spent 3 years there as a teen. I sure miss my mom's chicken gumbo and my aunt's dirty rice.

#23 ·
Gee, Lot of favorites

Fried Chicken
Fried Catfish
Country fried Steak
Fried Taters. ( I think I see a pattern with the fried stuff)
Fried Okra
Pinto beans
turnip and mustard greens
green beans cooked way down with lots of bacon
Cornbread Dressing
Chicken and dumplings
Fried pies of any kind be it peach, apricot, apple, chocolate
sausage gravy
chocolate gravy
banana pudding
any kind of cobler--made even better by ice cream
Any meal must be accompanied by sweet tea.:choco:

#25 ·
My grammy was raised in Arkansas soooo....
Fried okra, dumplings, buttermilk cornbread, pot beans w/ham. DH had never had any of these foods before we were married. Now he asks for them all the time. It isn't a holiday in our family unless there's dumplings.

#26 · (Edited)
Ok, since I'm a Yank, would someone please tell me what chitterlings are? :huh: :scratch:

And even though I'm a Yank I just LOVE Chicken and Dumplings, Grits, Country Fried Stead, Sausage Gravy, Fried Bologna Sandwiches and of course Sweet Ice Tea! My mother swears that I must have been concieved in the Blue Ride Mountains of North Carolina! LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.