What Are Some of Your Favorite Southern Meals?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up What Are Some of Your Favorite Southern Meals?

Since food is and always will be a major southern topic, I thought it would be fun to post some of our favorite meals. You know, some of the meals your momma or grandma put on the table. LOL, this also includes wild game dishes and what you may call "weird" foods.

Don't forget the desserts, biscuits and sweet tea!!!

O.K., one of my favorites, and I think I started this thread simply because I have been craving this and can't prepare it while living in this camper is fried pork chops, gravy, lima beans & rice, baked sweet potatoes, and biscuits. Dessert would have to be a big scoop of peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

* Will start moving into the new house this weekend, and hubby and dd know that this will be our first meal in the new house. Already have everything for it bought (except sweet potatoes) and ready to cook, LOL

Your turn
    Last edited by MarshHen; 09-07-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fun topic!
    My favorite is : country fried steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, fried okra, black eyed peas and biscuits. Dessert would be apple pie ala mode.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Fun topic!
    My favorite is : country fried steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, fried okra, black eyed peas and biscuits. Dessert would be apple pie ala mode.
    LOL, don't tell me you forgot the rice! Or is your house like mine, and rice is a given like sweet tea? Gotta have pickled hot peppers too for peas, and green onions.

O.K., second meal taken care of! Gonna be very busy here the next several weeks with the moving and all, but I'll have a good menu here to fall back on with this thread.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My favorite is Chicken and dumplings - which I understand some Northern villagers do not like. Another favorite is my grandmother's biscuits, gravy, sausage, eggs, etc. breakfast, they are simply the best I've ever had anywhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my favorite, but I didn't realize it was a "southern thing" is Chicken & Dumplings

with sweet tea .... of course!

2nd favorite - my mom's Thanksgiving turkey & dressing

--- southern confession -- I don't like grits, or gravy, or lima beans, or blk eyed peas, or tomatoes ! --- I think I was born on the wrong side of the mason-dixon line !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bumplett honey, we forgive you, LOL.

I have a few food confessions of my own. I don't like catfish, chitterlings, hoghead cheese, or blackberries.

Here's why:

Catfish - To strong and fishy tasting. Hubby thinks I'm nuts, LOL! I love to catch them and don't mind cooking them, but I won't, won't eat them. Favorite fish is flounder and brim. YUMMMMMM!!! LOL, just imagine my joy when hubby and brothers set trout lines and catch catfish as big as my 12 yr. old dd! LOL, this is them trying to get me to help them skin them and cut them up for the freezer!

Chitterlings and hoghead cheese - Yuck-O!! While growing up, it was my job to help clean the chitterlings and help make the hoghead cheese after butching the hogs. I swore, when I grew up, that I would never, ever mess with them again.

Blackberries - I don't like the little seeds.

To hot here still for chicken & dumplings, but it won't be long, hopefully!
    Last edited by MarshHen; 09-07-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Carolyn, I thought I was the only Southerner who doesn't like Catfish! lol When my late dfil would visit us from NYC, the first meal he wanted was always, catfish, hushpuppies, cole slaw and french fries. I never touched the catfish. Ewww.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with Dixie - give me the country fried steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and fried okra. Leave off the black-eyed peas though, please.

One thing I love and dh can't stand (though he's a Southerner) is pinto beans and cornbread. Mmmmmmmmm!

I love peach cobbler and pecan pie (not together though LOL).

I'm not a catfish eater either. It's not that I don't like the taste, it's just a fish we choose not to eat. Bring on the hushpuppies though!

My fave place to eat has to be Savannah. I make myself sick every time we visit there - especially when we go to The Lady & Sons. I always joke to dh that he's going to have to roll me out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am another vote for chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with cream gravy and fried okra. A homemade peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream on top and some sweet tea to wash it all down with and I will be one happy southern belle .

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm the catfish lover! lima beans, black eyed peas, tomato sandwiches, hush puppies, coleslaw, frog legs, corn bread, and blackberry cobbler yum yum!
    Not crazy about collards, DH's favorite there. Also dearly love my fil's gumbo!

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are just some of the things I love.
    ~Fried catfish, hushpuppies, cole slaw, and french fries.
    ~Cornbread, biscuits and gravy, grits, black eyed peas, lima beans, sweet tea.
    ~Pecan pie, peach cobbler, apple pie.
    ~Chicken and dumplings

I'm not really big on fried chicken (I like chicken fingers though). I don't eat chitlins, pork rinds, or any "weird" stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my, my parents were from southern Indiana and I just love Chicken and dumplings. The flat kind of dumplings. I have to go to Cracker Barrel to get them. Nobody else in the house likes them. I also have to say peach cobbler and a blueberry pie. I use to like sweet tea but broke myself and now drink it unsweetened. This is a fun question.

Monner 1

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby loves the flat dumplings too, but I like the drop dumplings. Sometimes, LOL, I do both in the same pot. Oh yeah, Cracker Barrel's chicken & dumplings are the best restaurant one's I have found.

I love, love, love tomato sandwiches, but I can't eat too many, or the acid from the tomatoes gives me a rash.

We grow our own cabbage and greens (collards & turnips). Love my greens with Balsamic vinegar.

QuilterMom,

Living so close to Savannah, we eat at Lady and Son's every time we are in town. Hubby is the lucky one though, they cater all of the Port's employee lunches and special holiday meals.

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh boy. . my favorite subject. . southern food. . I love. . .

grits
    sweet tea
    chicken & dumplings
    cabbage with bacon
    green beans overloaded with bacon
    ham baked with coca cola or pineapple juice
    fried bologna sandwiches
    tomato sandwiches
    squash and zuchinni
    country fried steaks
    fried okra
    fordhooks with ham or bacon
    hummingbird cake
    banana pudding (only a particular recipe)
    pecan pie
    collard greens
    cornbread
    black eyed peas
    field peas with snaps
    hoecakes
    fried snook with hushpuppies
    sausage gravy with bisquits
    sweet potato pie
    sweet potato souffle

I know it's a big list. . but I warned ya'll it was my favorite subject!!!! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also enjoy pinto beans & cornbread, pecan pie, sweet potato casserole, sweet tea (of course!), and Moon Pies.

I'm not crazy about apple pie, lima beans or anything weird (chittlin's, pork rinds, etc.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast