Question for Sooners on this Forum
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Question for Sooners on this Forum

My SIL & DD have been thinking seriously of packing up and moving to Oklahoma when DD graduates college in May.

SIL is originally from the Tulsa area and would like to be closer to home, something I definately understand. His mom is alone and not in very good health and he's her oldest son.

The problem, of course, is JOBS. We're close enough to Michigan in this part of Indiana for their unemployment problems to have drizzled south of the state line. Many businesses here were Detroit peripherals (harness & cable, extruded plastics, etc.) and they've all but disappeared. He's on unemployment right now and picking up side jobs as he can.

Anyway, what's the business climate in your part of Oklahoma, wherever it may be? And what is there for my grand-daughters? How are the schools and so forth?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Registered User jayneluvsmickey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i live outside tulsa and my dh now works in broken arrow

dh lost his last job beginning of february and started this one about two weeks later. he started looking a week before they cut his position

most of his work experience is in plastics extrusion and his last job and this one are in that field

has you SIL checked out the job postings at tulsaworld.com? that's where dh found this job. we had been looking in kansas, missouri, chicago, and generally anywhere monster.com had listing for his field, and the best options were here, in his opinion

as far as things to do, here are some things we have that i love: tulsa zoo, jenks aquarium, tulsa air and space museum (this area was very instrumental in the aviation field), public water parks, the oklahoma state fair (the food network comes every year for a competition), muskogee renn faire, the bluegrass & chili expo (one of the top in the nation), the gilcrease museum and others i'm not thinking of

schools depend on which part of the city you live in. if i were living there i would want jenks, union, or broken arrow schools

here in claremore we also have good schools...owasso is another one

if i can answer anymore questions, i'll do my best

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much, Jayne, for the info. I'll ask my SIL about the job website, in case he hasn't heard of it.

They're actually looking at Broken Arrow & Claremore, so I guess SIL knows the area. He's Potowatomi (as are we on my mother's side) so he's looking forward to getting back to his roots and getting my grand-daughters involved, too.

My DD is very, very concerned about tornados, though. We had one here in '93 when she was just a kid, and she's terrified of them. From what I can see, Oklahoma and Indiana are both subject to them, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Have you ever experienced any tornados where you are?

Her other concern has to do with maple trees, oddly enough. She loves them - lots and lots of them - but when they visited family there last year she didn't see many maples. Do they not grow well in Oklahoma?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User jayneluvsmickey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes, i've been in the middle of a tornado when i lived on the state line of kansas/missouri near joplin

claremore sits in a valley and everyone here has told me that we won't have tornadoes here because of that

they had a small one in broken arrow last year

in truth most really bad weather flares up south of us or north of us

believe it or not, i really miss maple trees, too, and i really miss the midwest in the fall...but when it was 82 degrees last week it balances out. i don't know why there are none here

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While we are not recession proof, there are still jobs available here. Home prices are very reasonable and you don't have to make 100,000 dollars to live here comfortably.

I'd rather have tornadoes with warning than earthquakes! I've been in both! You know when the tornado season is and the weather guys here are primo.

I like the weather except for July and August but other than that I like it here. Course I was born and raised here too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    Thank you so much, Jayne, for the info. I'll ask my SIL about the job website, in case he hasn't heard of it.

They're actually looking at Broken Arrow & Claremore, so I guess SIL knows the area. He's Potowatomi (as are we on my mother's side) so he's looking forward to getting back to his roots and getting my grand-daughters involved, too.

My DD is very, very concerned about tornados, though. We had one here in '93 when she was just a kid, and she's terrified of them. From what I can see, Oklahoma and Indiana are both subject to them, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Have you ever experienced any tornados where you are?

Her other concern has to do with maple trees, oddly enough. She loves them - lots and lots of them - but when they visited family there last year she didn't see many maples. Do they not grow well in Oklahoma?
    Milly,

I found something on the internet for your dd about Maple trees in Oklahoma (I've seen them, tho I think most people don't plant them for whatever reason), so I hope this helps!

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docush...eb%20color.pdf

Also, tornadoes really aren't that bad. I know that sounds crazy but YOU CAN HIDE FROM A TORNADO!!! Whereas from an earthquake, hurricane, flooding, or mudslide you can't... you just have to run. I've never seen a tornado that doesn't run in a pattern of coming from the SW going toword the NE. You have plenty of time to get to shelter before that tornado hits as our weather forcasters (when it comes to tornadoes) are the best in the US!

Also, here in the Oklahoma City area, yes, while we are not recession proof, MOST of us have faired pretty well thru it all. There are TONS of places that are still hiring, as well as Temporary work (for temporary employees) for any number of companies. I'm thinking it's pretty much the same in Tulsa. In fact oklahoma has one of the lower unemployment rates in the country! Also, home buying is relatively cheaper here than most of the other states around the country.

Tulsa is an hour & a half drive from Oklahoma City & BOTH cities have lots to offer.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oklahoma+city+tourist+sites&aq=1&oq=oklahoma+city+touri"]oklahoma city tourist sites - Google Search[/ame]

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-at...-us-ok-okc.htm

http://www.planetware.com/top-touris...-us-ok-okc.htm

the above is a websites that I googled for you & it shows a few of the sites that are great to visit. By no means are these the only ones! & don't forget, Oklahoma City just got a NBA team... the Oklahoma City Thunder!

There are also plenty of lakes around all of Oklahoma to go camping/fishing/boating/swimming... you get the idea! & no, I didn't grow up here in Oklahoma (that was Wichita Kansas), but I've been here since I was 18 & still wouldn't want to live anywhere else! Hope this helps!

Kim

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tulsa OK area has good jobs available about all the time if you work as an electric lineman or any electric company job. The schools at Claremore and Owasso are good. I lived at Collinsville for awhile and hubby worked for a company that puts up lines (electrical) for other companies. He also worked for a company in Claremore.

Less specialized jobs may not be as plentiful. The wages paid in Tulsa area are highest in Oklahoma for electrical work for PSO, AEP, or other electrical line/power companies.

Housing is on the more expensive side in that area of the state though.

Soonercare (medicaid) and other state aid is the same all over though if you need it.

The system here is not stressed as bad as either east or west coasts.

Hugs,
    Debbie