Arizona Attractions?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Arizona Attractions?

Just wonder what some of the big attractions are down by Phoenix and/or Tucson. OR anything else worthy of an honourable mention.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What are your interests and how long will you be there? I can list about a million things to see in Arizona, but I don't know if they would interest you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying to see what the options are. I will be traveling with two people that have limitations but its still nice to know whats possible. Prob be there for about 2 weeks.

Historic sites, landmarks/monuments, hiking/parks, shopping, touristy attraction areas, theme parks - basically all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Grand Canyon isn't that far from Phoenix, I don't think.

Request info from the Arizona tourism office. They'll send you a packet of brochures.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grand Canyon is at least a 2.5 hours away from Phoenix.
    Tuscon has the Desert Museum is great. There's and Old Plane Museum down that way.
    We went down past Tuscon to Tombstone.
    Phoenix has some old west towns.
    In Apache junction out side of Phoenix is an Old Gold Town and Superstition Mountain.
    I go to AZ once or twice a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I knew the Grand Canyon wasn't very far away, but I couldn't recall exactly how far. Thanks for info.

Arizona Tourism will also have a website with tons of info, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On our last trip down that way we visited Tombstone and the Sonoran Desert National Monument/Park. I think we wanted to visit the Old Tucson Studio's too but there wasn't enough interest/time.

I know I could order brochures and search online (hence my post ) but was wondering if there were any hidden gems I should know about.

Seems like all the fun/action is up near Phoenix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From what I have heard SEE the grand caynon.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really liked Chiricahua (Chiricahua National Monument - Chiricahua National Monument), which is down past Tucson. It is mainly a scenic drive, so suitable for people with mobility problems, although there is also hiking if you are so inclined. I loved the old ranch house there, such a peaceful spot.

Most of the truly 'must-see' spots IMO are in the Four Corners area - which is a long way from Phoenix/Tucson. However, Montezuma's Castle (Montezuma Castle National Monument - Montezuma Castle National Monument) is only about 1.5 hours north of Phoenix, and also easily accessible (flat walking trail). If you're in to cliff dwellings you need to go.

If you do go up that far, you might want to loop around and go on the train ride at Clarkdale (Verde Canyon), beautiful scenery, relaxing, suitable for mobility challenged. Might as well swing by the Tuzigoot NM if you're there - more archaeological ruins if that's your thing (obviously my thing ).

Actually, if you want to do that stuff, you'd be better off based in Sedona or Flagstaff - which is actually a more central location for sight-seeing than Phoenix. Then you actually are within shooting distance of the Grand Canyon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks mw - I'll have to get to researching that stuff. The ruins & train ride sound awesome!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure when you are going but it's cold in Flagstaff in the winter months.
    I enjoy that area though. My niece went to UNA in Flagstaff.
    Sedona in beautiful too! Again check the weather for when you are going.
    I was underwhelmed by Montezuma's Castle. It really was not much to see. I am not sure what I expected!
    We then went to see the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest. Amazing!
    Also the Meteor Crator! DH loved that.
    Apache junction is called Crafty and Tacky. I want to explore more of that area!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I'm trying to see what the options are. I will be traveling with two people that have limitations but its still nice to know whats possible. Prob be there for about 2 weeks.

Historic sites, landmarks/monuments, hiking/parks, shopping, touristy attraction areas, theme parks - basically all.
    Along with what is posted here, I would go on-line and sign up for the brochures...........you will get LOTS of them and some will 'usually' give the $.....should give you some great ideas and also knowledge of the travel/time involved............you can't see it all in 2 weeks and will have to make some choices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll have to keep this thread marked in my fave's for future visits....great ideas!

This visit we visited the town of Tubac, saw the Titan Missile, Reid Park Zoo, Old Tucson Studios and discovered quite a few local restaurants that were awesome. I think our next trip out that way may not include dad therefore we'll be able to do more things further away from Tucson. The castle sounds very interesting and was highly recommended along with Mt Lemmon and the Biosphere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ghost towns, Indian ruins, gold panning, sleeping out in the desert and waking up early in the morning while the saguaros are in bloom, rock collecting, Tucson Rock and Gem show, best Mexican restaurant is Mi Nidito Restaurant | Tucson, Arizona
    Desert Museum, Heard Museum Heard Museum: American Indian Art and History all come to mind. However, if I had the opportunity to go there, I would go to American Discount Foods, Unbelievable Low Prices!!! which is a scratch and dent grocery store where the prices are so good that people go there from out of state to buy cheese. I bought 5# blocks of mozzarella over there for $5 {9} years ago. Also Lee Lees oriental grocery store in Awautukee.