Looking for Property Info
    Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Looking for Property Info

DH and I are considering moving to the southeastern area of Texas around Victoria. Would appreciate any info on the area. We are commerical painters working mostly on new construction resturants. We also rasie plumerias and other plants. Here in Floida the home owners insurance, taxes and rule making retireres from up north are driving us out. Have done some reach on the web but would like some personal input.

Thanks
    Laurie in BRadenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Laurie, I was born in Victoria and my family is from that area. Victoria is a nice, large sized town with approximately 60,000 people. I haven't been back there for awhile, but it's grown quite a lot since I was born. I know that there is a small college there and it has a lot of restaurants, stores and businesses. Property values are very reasonable, compared to Florida, but it is still fairly close to the coast so you may still need hurricane insurance if you buy a house. When I was just a toddler, Hurricane Celia hit Corpus Christi and, since my family was living there at the time, we
    drove north to Victoria to stay with my grandparents. We missed the brunt of the hurricane but were still flooded in for a few days. The good thing is that, unlike Florida, there aren't nearly as many hurricanes that have hit the Texas coast as seem to hit Florida.

Personally, I would highly recommend Victoria. It's not quite a city, but it's a big enough town to have most anything you would need. Also, I admit I'm partial to the area since it feels so much like "home" when we are able to get down there. I think you'll find the real estate to be much more affordable and, although, we do have "Winter Texans" down here, I don't think they even compare to Florida retirees.

Let me know if you need anymore info. Good luck!

--Michelle