Has anyone left their job to become SAHM-due to cost of living?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Has anyone left their job to become SAHM-due to cost of living?

I currently work 4 days a week, about 9 hours each day. On the days I work I run my youngest to preschool in the next town over, then drive into work. I'm spending more & more money on gas, even though my car is good on it. DH picks up my youngest each day-so that's another trip to the next town. He's spending $40 a week in gas, I'm spending $30 a week. He walks to work. I'm paying $$ to daycare, and now with summer coming, I will have to run 2 boys in two different directions-because my oldest doesn't go to daycare, he goes with one of our dads. We figured out that after all is said and done, I'm only bringing home $440 a month. If I pull my youngest from daycare (this is his last year before kindergarten) and SAH, but continue to work 1 or 2 days a week, using Grandpas for babysitting, I'll still break even, or close to it. WWYD? I know money amounts are different for everyone, and it's all relative. It just seems like I'm running to work, paying for gas, missing my kids, for such little money. I do LOVE my job though. I know my boss would be flexible & allow me to cut back, without losing my job. I need to bounce this off some others that have been there. TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a tough one, I know that you won't be bringing in much money if you do work. If you do quit, what about when your youngest IS in kindergarten. Would you be able to go back to the same place or not? That may influence my decision.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why don't you cut back and see how it goes? You can always quit later. Sounds like what you're doing now is not working.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wendinbill View Post
    I do LOVE my job though. I know my boss would be flexible & allow me to cut back, without losing my job. I need to bounce this off some others that have been there. TIA!
    Can they arrange it for you to do some, or all, of the work from home?

UKBB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work in a doctor's office, so I can't do that from home. I spoke with my boss, and he's willing to let me try this for the summer. I'm still going to keep my "foot in the door", by working 1 or 2 days a week. I may go back to school once my youngest starts first grade.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I became a SAHM a year ago January. BEst thing I ever did. My daughter was 4 months old and I worked from 6 weeks until then. I wasn't 100% sure we could afford it, but guess what? we could. I was working 34 hours a week and was still there for when my son got home from school, but was spending $100 a week on daycare plus the cost of gas. I made a little less than $300 bring home so that probably brought it down to about $160 a week. Plus we ate out more, we spent more, etc. Our tax bracket was higher so we paid more in taxes too. i didn't have the time or energy to invest in really being frugal. I now have a 6 month old and my daughter is almost 2. Daycare for the 2 of them would be pushing $200 probably. So, the only way I could work is if I had a really well paying job. A $10 an hour job just wouldn't cut it. Dh makes about $20 an hour and being a family of 5 we qualify for heap, wic and are going thru rural development for a direct loan. So, really it is not worth me working for now. I take classes at the local community college to keep me from going totally insane. lol.

So if you can reduce your hours.. go for it!! I don't think you will regret it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work cleaning houses so that the kiddos can stay with my mom while I work. I by no means work full time. Daycare for 2 kids just isn't work it IMO. It costs way too much and most people just don't do the math. Most times I don't think it's worth it at all.
    When I get married again I won't be working at all.
    Considering you ain't bringing home much I would just look for other ways to cut your budget to make up for your lack of working outside the home. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I had my 2nd son 4yrs ago. DH and I decided it wouldn't be worth it for me to go bac to work. I was working for peanuts plus had to drive 40 miles a day and then daycareon top of that. I wouldn't have made any thing. I stil am a SAHM. He is in preschool two hour perday everyday but the school picks him up. In Sept he will start all day preschool but we can walk to that school.

We live in NJ (moved here almost 3 yrs ago) and we will be moving again this year but we don't know where yet. NJ is a very expensive state to live in but we are doing better here than any of the states we have lived in.

I have always been quite frugal but in the last 2 yrs I have become very frugal. We are not lacking for anything, actually we just took a cruise vacation.

Im telling you all this because it can be done. Anyone can be a SAHM. You just have to WORK. My DH says I work very hard and I guess I do, when It comes 2 my home and kids.

I m not saying go and quite your job either but if you do, plan it don't just walk it one day and say I quite. Plan a budget, the in's and outs. Do you have money set a side already "just in case"?

If it's costing you more money to work and your not bring home anything than yes I would quite but seriously think this over before you do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lots of support and ideas here.

It's a scary thing for sure. I mean... with prices for food going up and up.

A $440.mo deficit - you might be okay. Assuming you are good at and comfortable with frugality.

But it depends on what that $440 shortfall is? are you talking.. you'll be short on your mortgage? will you be short on any debt? or is it your buffered budget that has wiggle room (like entertainment, clothing- etc)

It can be done as people have told you here.

You also need to factor in the tired mommy factor. It makes for an unhappy home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did this one year ago in May. That is when I started my daycare. It's been a rough year, but so worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did not but my oldest dd did. Her and her husband were each driving separate vehicles about 1hour each way to work. Her job is only a part time job from 8-1 Monday - Thursday. It definately was not paying off with daycare and gas.

When she turned in her resignation last week and told them she could not afford the gas any longer, the office manager brought up an idea of maybe having her work from home. They could possibly set her up to work that way. That would be wonderful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was 5 months pregnant with our second child, I quit my job because we moved. My thinking was, I'd go back to work in the medical field when baby was around 6 months old. Then we realized between childcare (my mom would love to watch our children, but has 3 jobs!), taxes, gas, meal expenses, etc; we wouldn't come out ahead at all. At this point it's financially better for me to stay home and coupon to get the most bang for our buck. When working, I didn't have the time to focus on that.

So I plan to go back to work when all of our children are in school. I do miss it, but am grateful I'm not forced to work like when we were first married!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might consider working from home. Beware of all the "make a fortune overnight" scams though. If making $5000 a week from your computer was really that easy- no one would ever do anything else!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to work a more than a full time when I had only 2 kids. My MIL was wathching them. But I had to sucrifise A LOT! She was living with us and it's realy hard to live with a messy person who constantly forgets stuff. She also was not willing to contribute to our expences even though she had the income and we were driving her places. And I also had to juggle 2 jobs and working for low pay because I had to have a flexible schedule because of her and because she can't drive. I was very stressfull and after all the taxes and work expences I was making like maybe $2-3/hr.

Because I was't spending much time at home, my house was very messy. Even if I spend hours cleaning in the evening, the house will be a total mess the next day. And I also had to cook and do the laundry for everybody. Also my kids were watching tv a lot and have broken things because they were not watched properly.

When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, I quit job and she moved to a different place. Now my MIL is much nicer, I get to spend time with my kids.

I don't work, but moneywise we are still good. Now we qualify for some free stuff because of low income, and I have time to go to food closet and participate in programs where you get free stuff for the kids. We barely pay any taxes and get all the tax credits for the kids and low income, something we didn't get before.

So, if your job is costing you money, it's not worth it. Because you not only working for free and spend money on gas, but your income is higher on the paper and you might be missing out on some tax credits and not qualifying for some low income programs because of that. So it also might cost you even more than you think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On my last leave, when I knew my jobwould probably be cut, I figured out after expenses, I was making about $500/month with a 60K/year job! We chose for me to stay home and finances were about the same -less eating out and buying prepared food as well as finding frugal activities and simplifying helped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast