At what age...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what age...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default At what age...

Ok, I need help settling a dispute between DH and I.

At what age do you or did you let your kids walk/ride bike to school by themsleves?

We are arguing about wether or 7 year old can ride his bike to school by himself (actually with a few other kids from our neighborhood). I won't tell you which side I'm on, because I don't want to sway the arguments!

Anyhoo, we live about 3 blocks from the school. He would not have to cross the street alone, both streets have crossing guards. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood, no major crime, etc.

So what do you think? Would you let him go or not? (There is also only 7 days of school left, so it would be a test for next year).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I watch kids all the time.. I even watch the ones in our safe neighborhood too.. I think 7 is too little.. Maybe walk with him while he rides. To make sure he follows the rules.. I think at 7 they can't make choices that well. They mean too, but they just don't get it.. Now this just comes from my observation of kids around us. Also you have to really make sure they understand the stranger rules.. there are alot of crazys out there. I also have an 11 year old boy and I still have to keep a look out on him. He is just now getting to where he can wait for the bus by himself.. but he still gets a wondering eye sometimes..
    It is a hard choice.. I wish you luck in either choice.. I am more protective than some.. but hey I could be worse..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would let him walk, not ride. In Finland kids walk to school by themselves from the age seven, which actually is the school starting age. If he rides, make sure he wears a helmet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ok, I am SO on the other side of the debate. I would totally let him ride the bike to school. 3 blocks? crossing guards? other kids to ride with? It doesn't get any easier to work your way into it than that! I let my kids ride their bikes with other kids all over town when they were 9, so 3 blocks to school with other kids and crossing guards would be a peice of cake! I know not every one would agree with me, but I like my kids to be kids...playing in the creek (when it's low) etc....
    let us know what you end up deciding AND what side you are on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3 blocks with a guard? Yup I would. Probably only walk though; a bike might be cumbersome at school to lock up, etc..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While I feel 7 is still too young I would have to say that it's only 3 blocks, he will be with others and there are crossing guards, I say let him ride his bike.

For you it might be nerve racking but you could always watch him

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would but would watch to make sure, from somewhere easily visible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't but I'm a paranoid parent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me it would depend on the other kids too. How old and responsible are they, are they good kids?? My twins were allowed to start biking to school when they were 10 but only if they stayed together. I let my oldest son start biking to school when he was 7 but only because his older sister went with him and she was very responsible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't even think of letting my 7yr old do anything that might endanger his life period! You can call me over protective..but..I just don't trust people...no matter how save you think your neighborhood is there is always a freak among the crowd..KWIM? Just yesterday there was a man trying to abduct a 8yr old in a Aldi's store where I shop every 2 weeks..this is a very small store where no one would be able to get out of that store without being noticed..very very scary!!!!!
    About a month ago someone was trying to bribe a little kid with candy to get him in his van..this is the next town over from mine.. this town is so small that if you blinked your eyes you would miss it.. luckily the child knew not to take candy from a stranger and ran to safety... we consider our area a very safe place to live(I lived here for 40yrs)..You never know better to be safe then sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did not let my kids walk or ride their bikes to and from school when they were in traditional schools. We actually only lived 2/10 of a mile from the school, very safe area, crossing guard, etc... But I was just too uneasy about it. I would have had no way of knowing whether they made it to school or not. That would have driven me nuts.

Even if I were not uneasy about it, there was still no way I would have let either one walk alone at age 7. I can only speak of my kids, but at age 7 I do not feel like they were responsible enough to go at it solo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is very interesting to me. Here in Finland parents don´t take their kids to school. Well, for the first couple of days, but not after that. Children walk there by themselves or with their friends. Most parents work, so they are not even at home, when the child leaves to school or gets back home in the afternoon.
    Parents of first graders who work can have shorter days for the first semester of school, though. Some kids go to daycare before and after school, but they are a very small minority.
    This might be strange to you, but for us, it´s normal.

There is one thing us Finns do, that is propably even more schoking to you. I have been thinking about telling this. I am not ready yet, but maybe some day. It is a different subject all together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No way would I allow a 7 year old to go off alone on a bike, or walking, to school.(or anywhere)This is a child.Adults are supposed to be responsible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't be objective at all because I live in Florida. Land of few sidewalks and many sickos. You don't so that's a different story. That being said, trust your mom instincts.

You know your child better than anyone, some kids that age are so ready for an experience like that, and others aren't. You also know if the older kids will watch out for your child and help if needed. You are the mom and you already know if it is the right thing to do or not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not let my child do that....also the paranoid thing. We also feel we are in a very secure/safe area.

My dd is 9 and pretty responsible but when she is with other kids, she sometimes just does not pay a lot of attention and it would be so quick to get in front of a car . JMHO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast