Six figure salary
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Six figure salary

    Do you know that they say that if people had to pay for the services that a stay at home mother does in a day that they would earn at least a six figure income.
    Tell me that anyone could afford to pay for what a sahm or sahd does! They seem to forget all the extra's a wife and mother does (or a husband or father that stays at home). House keeper, cook, computer operator, laundry operator, teacher, day care, driver, psychologist, you also have to add in manger of the whole family and the way they do things. You are also the secretary who does all the schedules, keeps track of all the appointments and birthdays. Most times you are the CEO, so sahm and sahd hold your head high, let the world know that you are proud to be a Stay at home mom or dad! Not many could afford to pay you what you job is worth, but the paybacks for you are a happy family and that is truly priceless!

  2. #2
    Registered User Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    21,255
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Indeed. :yes:

    And lately with Dave working even more than he used to, and Kathryn going through tween stuff, I think I deserve even more.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Oh, that is SOOOOOO true. Was Personal Shopper on that list? I hate that job most of all.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Registered User Moor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Age
    51
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    when dh and i got married, we talked long and hard about me working.
    we decided that it was not worth all the hassle for me to work. daycare, clothing, and all.
    so i have been a sahm mom for most of our 14 years of marriage.
    there have been a few times when i have worked. now that the two youngest are in school all the time, i work on and off. at places that do not require me to buy clothing, or special shoes, or such. lol
    my oldest dd, asked me one day, what is my payment for taking care of everyone?
    i told her, when we go out, and people compliment us on you kids being so well behaved, being polite, and actually having manners (without me having to remind you) makes part of my paycheck. lol
    she wanted to know what the other part was. i told her, when you are older, then you will find out! lol

  6. #5
    Registered User Michelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    21,255
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    my oldest dd, asked me one day, what is my payment for taking care of everyone?
    i told her, when we go out, and people compliment us on you kids being so well behaved, being polite, and actually having manners (without me having to remind you) makes part of my paycheck. lol
    So true. It makes me feel very good to hear people like my mil & fil tell me that I've done a wonderful job raising my girls.

  7. #6
    Registered User BlessedMomof2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    It's the best job I could ever have and the most rewarding too!

  8. #7
    Registered User MomToTwoBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,972
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    I love being a SAHM sometimes but before, it was like pulling teeth! With both kids in school, I actually get a three-hour reprieve from them and it helps cure my stress a bit. I can go places without having someone tugging on my pant leg going, "Mommy, where are we going? Can I get this? Can we do that?".

    Now with both going back to school next year all day long, it's time for this SAHM to become a working mom again.

  9. #8
    Registered User Monner 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Without going into details I agree 100%. The stay at home parent does it all. Three cheers for all of us. Have a great day.


    Monner

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I totally agree with that. Most people forget that and I know my sister is one of them and it irritates me beyond belief. Occasionally dh will let something slip about his mom but is usually very careful because he knows how I feel about it.

    Not to say he doesn't agree that my job is a zillion times harder than his. When dd was born I was home with her for the first couple of months then when my maternity leave was over I went back to work and dh was home with dd most of the time (occasionally my MIL would watch her when dh had work to do). Well in that time he learned how hard it really was and has the most respect for SAHMs and what they do through every day.

    One day I did complain because I came home from work and the house was a mess nothing was done and he had the nerve to call me on the way home from work to ask what I was making for dinner. I explained to him that although its hard to watch dd it didn't mean he had no household responsibilities. I told him that I was working full time and doing was more around the house than he was. His response? "I don't know how you manage to do it all but I just can't. I'm not as good as you are". It wasn't a cop out either. He just couldn't handle being a SAHD. Needless to say it wasn't long before I was home with dd and he was back at work.

    I think all husbands/dads should be stay at home dads for a while and then they'll really understand!
    Last edited by MandaRenee; 09-24-2008 at 05:02 PM.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MandaRenee View Post
    I totally agree with that. Most people forget that and I know my sister is one of them and it irritates me beyond belief. Occasionally dh will let something slip about his mom but is usually very careful because he knows how I feel about it.

    Not to say he doesn't agree that my job is a zillion times harder than his. When dd was born I was home with her for the first couple of months then when my maternity leave was over I went back to work and dh was home with dd most of the time (occasionally my MIL would watch her when dh had work to do). Well in that time he learned how hard it really was and has the most respect for SAHMs and what they do through every day.

    One day I did complain because I came home from work and the house was a mess nothing was done and he had the nerve to call me on the way home from work to ask what I was making for dinner. I explained to him that although its hard to watch dd it didn't mean he had no household responsibilities. I told him that I was working full time and doing was more around the house than he was. His response? "I don't know how you manage to do it all but I just can't. I'm not as good as you are". It wasn't a cop out either. He just couldn't handle being a SAHD. Needless to say it wasn't long before I was home with dd and he was back at work.

    I think all husbands/dads should be stay at home dads for a while and then they'll really understand!

    My hubby got laid off 6 weeks after my oldest was born. So, we both started sending out resumes and I got a job first. It was about a year before he found a job (which made a lot more than I did). He was great at taking care of our son, horrible at taking care of the house. However, he has very low expectations of me, never cares if the house is clean, never complains about what is for dinner, etc. That is just his personality. To him, the kids come first, us next, and then the house.

  12. #11
    Registered User HandyMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Sure! Why do you think most men want to get married? When I am having trouble over here with kids or I am sick and can't take care of things who do I call? My Mother! Not my Dad.

  13. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    See, my dad is wonderful with kids and the younger the better. My mom seems to always be too busy or has something to do so it seems like I am imposing. My dad is always so happy to help. However you can guarentee when the kids spend time with grandpa, they will have tons of snacks, watch as much TV as they want, and play on the computer as much as they want.

  14. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    well i am not a housewife...i am a DOMESTIC ENGINEER...LOL

  15. #14
    Registered User Marie78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I really want to be a SAHM after we have children. We completed a budget and then revised it and we still couldn't see how I could be home full time. Next year it looks like I will be a SAHM and work outside the home 20 hours a week and Dh will take care of our child/children during the 20 hours I am at work. He gets paid full time for working on his Phd and taking one class a week and teaching one class a week. That leaves him open to handle 20 hours of baby while I am at work.

    The hardest part for me aside from working while sleep deprived with a new baby will be having to somehow pump breast milk at work. We are adament about using cloth diapers at least 90% of the time and me breastfeeding as long as I am able to provide enough milk for the baby.

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonMommy View Post
    My hubby got laid off 6 weeks after my oldest was born. So, we both started sending out resumes and I got a job first. It was about a year before he found a job (which made a lot more than I did). He was great at taking care of our son, horrible at taking care of the house. However, he has very low expectations of me, never cares if the house is clean, never complains about what is for dinner, etc. That is just his personality. To him, the kids come first, us next, and then the house.

    My dh is the same way. He doesn't expect the house to be clean. To him my most important task is making sure dd is taken care of. He's always been great about it. I had such a hard time at first with letting the house go a little bit. I felt like I still had to do it all and was overwhelmed and exhausted. Dh was great about it and helped me to realize that no one cares what the house looks like *and if they do they can get over it. As long as we are happy and healthy that is all that matters. I always hate to hear about the dh's that are so demanding and not understanding. My heart goes out to those women.

Similar Threads

  1. dh has gone salary
    By Jayne in forum Debt Reduction & Money Management
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
  2. How to survive w/o a salary
    By homesteadmamma in forum Supplemental Income, Small Business
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 08:15 PM
  3. Anyone budget on a monthly salary?
    By Sara Noel in forum Debt Reduction & Money Management
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2002, 07:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •