Any pointers..

Thread: Any pointers..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Any pointers..

I have only been a SAHM for about 2 months now. I don't know what to do now that it is too cold to go outside. My dd just loves playing outside and goes a little stir crazy inside. We do paint, color and play with playdough, but she seems to get bored easy with it. Any pointers on some good activities. She will be 2 in Jan. We also use her Little Leapsters but she could care less most of the time. Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One thing I have found that works well is structure, make a schedule for your day, even though she is only 2 she can help you with your chores around the house here and there, and believe it or not they do like doing some of those things!!
    My days were insane sometimes until I made a schedule and stuck to it, then everything seemed to calm down and when you have days you can go out and just go for a walk or play in the yard, do it! Even if there is snow or it is cold bundle you both up and go out!
    One thing you could look at is bike riding, whether she's in a seat or on her own with training wheels or a trike, those are fun for all too!
    And board games are awesome to entertain too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I been hunting up ideas for you, and here are a few. It will spark you in to finding some really fun things to do.
    It has a bar on the left where you can find plenty more things to do, and its nice as it goes by age......
    http://www.savvysource.com/activitie...ars_activities
    Here is the main site, they really have some great ideas.
    http://www.savvysource.com/activities/home

http://www.nickjr.com/printables/all...rs/index.jhtml

Here is a site for some computer games, and they say for 2 year olds. I am sure you would have to be there, but hey it may be fun for you too.
    http://www.talkingchild.com/games.aspx#games2

http://www.minti.com/parenting-advic...ities-2-years/

Hope these give you some ideas, I really think some of them sound like lots of fun for you too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1. Library story time.
    2. Got to a mall (just to browse of course), let her walk a little if you can...it will tire her out!
    3. Any local playgroups. If you're not sure of any, go on craigslist.com or meetup to start one.
    4. I used to fill up the sink with water and suds and would pull a chair over just to let my boys play in the water while I was working in the kitchen. Same with a large container of dried rice or beans (if she is past the stage of putting everything in her mouth).
    5. Bundle her up and bring her outside. Even a few minutes of her running around will be great.
    6. Give her a cloth with a little water on it and let her help you "clean"...wipe down the cabinets, etc. Give her a small broom, let her sweep.
    7. Give her a large bowl of water and let her mix a few spices so she can make some soup---I know it's messy and wasteful, but it's fun!
    8. Build a fort out of chairs, blankets, couch cushions.
    9. Got to the dollar store and buy a book of stickers and let her create her own sticker book by letting her stick them into an empty notebook. Great for fine motor development, too.
    10. Aquadoodles are fun toys. It's a large mat with a pen filled with water so that kiddos can "color" on the mat.
    11. Pots and pans make great toys.
    12. Create a shoebox full of textured items. Furry, sticky, slick, rubbery, etc. I used to keep a shoebox full of items like this and pull it down when I was on the phone to keep the kids busy.

Some of these ideas may be too old for her right now, but she'll be ready for them in no time. I know it can be exhausting being a sahm. When I first became one, I had NO idea of what to do. I made sure that I put myself in places where other sahms were. I made a lot of friends that way that I still have now (7 years later). We have a little kids "gym" in the area. I always spent the money on it because it was a fantastic way to meet others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh! There are a few books out there...short and fat books, something like "Toddler's Busy Book", I used to get tons of ideas there. Bookstores also have story times too, sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you ladies for all the tips!! We do pretty well on a schedule, I do my best to stick to what we did when I worked at her daycare. I love a lot of the cleaning ideas because she does like to help wipe down things. I will def be checking out those sites too!! Thank you so much!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to put on music and dance around the house with the kids. My library has CDs you can borrow. I got some of the kids ones and copied them. (Laurie Berkner, etc). Then we do silly dances to her songs.

I also take them outside in the snow although sometimes it seems to take longer to get them dressed than we spend outside, but we still have some fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Check out the local community centers too. I know there is one the next city over that has "open gym" time for toddlers. Local park and rec departments, nature centers, etc.

One thing we found quite worth the expense is a membership to a destination, such as a zoo (ours has an indoor section, I know that's unusual) or children's museum or such. Our library has a 'passport' program whereby you can check out an admission pass for various attractions; maybe something like that is available in your area?

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to have little kid video stuff that they loved. Kinda like the "Wiggles"" OMG they loved that thing. (I think I gave it away, or I'd send you mine) Check out the goodwill they may have some kiddie exercise videos.

You could let her do somersaults down the hallway. Or see how many jumps she can do with you and count.

Maybe you could just bundle her up to check the mail everyday.

the good thing is that her attention span is short enough for her to be satisfied with just a trip to the mail box.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you ladies very much!! I will have to check out our community center and see what they have. DH doesn't like me driving out of town, waste of gas, yada yada, but sometimes it would be nice to get out of the freaking house. He even has a problem with us going to Wal-Mart! (Ok sorry, that's another whole story!!)
    We do have videos she likes to watch, and we have a little leapster she uses too. She also loves to play catch!
    Here are some of the things we made today. The reindeer I shouldn't have done her toes and should have done the hands the other way but now I know so will do them right for the grandparents. Also needed a bigger piece of paper for the tree.

Well never mind. Won't let me post pics yet. They are really cute though.
    Did the reindeer with her foot for the face and hands for the antlers. Used a puff for the nose and put on some wiggle eyes. The tree we did with her hand upside down and used her thumb to make the star for the top and fingers to make the bulbs, lights. Turned out pretty cute!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have a mall nearby? I'm thinking about our local mall that has a "stretch and stroll" program for young kids and their at home parent. It's basically mall walking for moms, but since it's before the stores open it's less chance to go spend spend spend.

I totally understand about not wanting to drive much, but seriously you do need to get out of the house from time to time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The closest mall is about 30 min away. We do go to Wal-Mart from time to time but like you said I end up buying something or Maddie finds something and throws a fit because I won't get it for her. Unless it is something nice and cheap. The weather has been decent the last few days so we have been going outside more. It is going to be in the 60's this weekend, but on Monday it will be freaking 30! Been painting and gluing stuff. Finished up some more reindeer too. She is finally starting to like her Little Leapster we have for her!!
    Thanks again everyone for the wonderful pointers. As a first time mom and being new to staying at home I can use all the tips I can get!! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think go outside no matter how cold. Just dress for it. Kids notice the cold less when we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very true! We did go out when we were getting a little bit of snow the other day. It was pretty fun considering last year she didn't really care about it. She really had fun!