More interesting issues with my three year old!!!!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default More interesting issues with my three year old!!!!!

I am at a loss as to how to solve this problem that has occured the last several times I have given her a bath. She will stand up, screaming that frightened panicky scream of fear, and try to run away when its time to wash her hair. Its the water that is the problem not the soap. This is a recent development and I'm not sure what to do. Daddy has tried to do it and had the same results as she not only screamed but yelled for me. Its not the water temp. I've tried different cups, different size cups, the small hand held shower head, covering her eyes with a washcloth, using a washcloth to rinse it, my hand to cup water and rinse it, taking turns with her with a little cup, and nothing has ceased the screaming. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great if not (I know this may seem odd to some) I could use some extra prayers to try and figure out how to help her not scream when we wash her hair. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been thru this many times with my kiddos... I let one of mine where swim googles when it was time to rinse his hair. Funny site! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whenever I would babysit nieces and nephews and gave them a bath I'd just have them lay on their backs in the tub (water was only about 2 inches deep) and have them swish their heads a little to wet their heads and then have them use some baby shampoo to wash it. Not perfect but it got the job done. Letting them do it themselves makes it less fearful I think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think this is an "age" thing. Kids all seem to go through a "I hate to have my hair washed" thing. Trying giving her some control and let her help wash her hair. It might help, even a little for her to feel less afraid if she is helping do it. They do grow out of it, but it does happen out of the blue and can make you wonder what the [email protected]!! is going on!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Truthfully, when my kids did this I cut back to weekly hair washing unless it had food in it or something. Eventually it passed.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wesley is going thru the same thing. I found this nifty little 'shampoo cup' at Wal-Mart, with a flexible plastic edge. The flexible part kinda molds to his head and doesn't get water in his eyes. That seemed to help him.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think my DD ever went through this stage. She has always loved getting her hair shampooed. I would say have her help you rinse out/clean her hair that way she knows exactly what is going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Been there, done that...three times!

We just let them rinse their own hair and that helped a little, but not totally. Eventually, it passed. Feels like you are going through it forever, and then one day, it's gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went through this with both my boys. Try swim goggles and a cheap snorkle. I guess it made it more fun for them wearing these things, and they actually began to look forward to washing their hair. Plus they didn't have to worry about getting it into their eyes and could breath through the snorkle.

I picked up a cheap set at Target a few years ago. I think for the goggles and snorkle it was less than $5. It paid for itself, just in the fact that they stopped fighting with me about washing their hair!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I went through this phase as a child, my grandma put a plush towel on the kitchen counter and had me lay up there on the towel while she washed my hair in the kitchen sink.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We did the goggles and snorkel thing here too. It made bathtime a little more fun for them and eventually I was able to wash their hair without the fussing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used the goggles too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about also giving her a doll that she can take into the bath with her. She can wash the doll's hair while you was hers. May help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    I went through this with both my boys. Try swim goggles and a cheap snorkel. I guess it made it more fun for them wearing these things, and they actually began to look forward to washing their hair. Plus they didn't have to worry about getting it into their eyes and could breath through the snorkel.

I picked up a cheap set at Target a few years ago. I think for the goggles and snorkel it was less than $5. It paid for itself, just in the fact that they stopped fighting with me about washing their hair!
    What a cute idea! I wish I had heard this when my kids went through this stage.
    PP is right though all of a sudden one day it's over and they are fine. It's just a phase, this too shall end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my daughter went through that, and she was too big to lay on the counter and get washed in the sink, I bought some No Rinse Shampoo and No Rinse Conditioner and used that for a couple of months. It's the same stuff the astronauts use. It kept her hair clean enough and she eventually started letting me wash it again with real shampoo, though she still hates showers (at age 7) even when I let her wear goggles, and she prefers to wash it in the bathtub.