Medicine Side Effects and SAHM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Medicine Side Effects and SAHM

Ugh, I feel like a truck or two has run over me! I started a new medication (long-term) and I swear I have every side effect listed. Nausea, headache, fuzziness, fatigue... you name it.

How the heck do I deal with my 3 year old and 18 month old when I feel like this? I'm not sure I've ever been honestly flu-type sick with them before... Minor stuff but nothing like this!

Any tips? Right now the TV is being a babysitter , which I hate, but their whining makes my head hurt worse and them jumping on me makes my body hurt. On top of that, even making them a simple PB&J makes me want to retch... I've resorted to letting them pretty much have free run of the fridge just to feed them!

Help! How do I get through this???

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hopefully these side effects are just temporary until you adjust to your new medication. If there is anyone who could pop in and give you a hand, like Mom, friend , or neighbor that certainly would help. However, I understand that this is the real world and that just may not be available to you. Give yourself a break, the TV will not kill them. Get a bunch of juice boxes & snacks and put them on the coffee table. A playpen for the 18 month old and some toys, a bottle, etc. Put on a few tapes and lay on the sofa and ride out the day. All of us Moms have had the Flu or something that has knocked us down. Your kids will be okay, it's not like your passed out, just feeling VERY YUCKY. Make sure you have your bathroom door locked, your front and back doors locked (I assume you have some kind of locks anyway to keep your kids from drowning or wandering outside during bedtime) Baby gates up! Safety measures are VERY IMPORTANT since you may not be as quick as you normally are to catch when your little ones are up to something. If this does not subside you really have no choice but to change medications.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am feeling off my game too today and this is what I do. We have a house alarm so I set the door alarm, so if my DD messes with the door, I'll know. I fixed her a drink and put on her favorite channel. I've generally got doors shut to the rooms I want to keep her out of and locks on the cabinets she should stay out of. I'm sure you've got that stuff.

Letting the TV entertain your kids is not nearly as bad as some people make you think it is. This is especially true when you don't feel well. Don't be so hard on yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it possible for you to take the meds at night so that you can sleep thru the side effects?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by G'MaDebbie View Post
    Is it possible for you to take the meds at night so that you can sleep thru the side effects?
    Unfortunately, no.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just allow yourself to get thru it without Mommy guilt. I have had this happen before and also had a very difficult pregnancy that forced me to use the TV/computer babysitter, etc. It should be temporary so don't feel too badly. Let your husband and/or anyone else who could be of help know and maybe they can take your child on an outing or outside to play or something for you for a little bit. If not, just do what you can and don't worry about what you can't. After all, taking care of YOURSELF will make you a better mommy long-term and you can get thru the short-term yuck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Did you call the DR.??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Did you call the DR.??
    Yes. He said unfortunately a lot of people experience the whole flu-like side effects thing, for about 1-2 weeks. It's nice to know that an end might be in sight but I've already 'failed' 3 meds and this is kind of our last resort.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear it. My body tends to go the opposite way. I have no prob. and get encouraged then when It hits full strength I can't take it.
    The first HBP meds I took made me dizzy and itchy and twitchy,my vision swam and I couldn't walk across a room. My heart palpitated and something was crawling under my skin.( I thought I was have mental prob. at first.)diovan? I think.
    All generics bother me too. If it cost $5. my body seemd to know.lol.
    Sure hope this works for you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope the meds work for you and the side effects go away fast. I remember days being sick dealing with a toddler and it's not easy for sure.