Anyone making about $16,000 a year?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone making about $16,000 a year?

Is anyone making less than $16,000 a year. I make about this much a year. I am very frugal to the bone. I do get child support, but I don't count that with my income, since it will be there for only a few more years. I do have an emergency fund, a savings account, I have $200 deducted out of my check each month in a credit union that I very seldom go to. I cook by scratch, turn off lights, turn heat down, buy at thrift stores, if it's not on sale for 50% or more it stays in the store, bulk shopping, stay out of the stores unless I absolutely have to go, consolidate all my shopping so save on gas, do laundry twice a week to save on water. Was wondering what others do to save to keep the bills down? Would love to hear everyone suggestions. The one thing I do have going for me is where I work at I don't have to pay a dime for my insurance as long as we use their doctors. Was using their doctor anyways. My two girls can get on for free. Whatever their dad's insurance don't pay mine pays. Prescriptions I only have to pay between $2 to $15. So don't have to worry about medical expenses. Any suggestions where I can cut more I would greatly appreciate. Also, went through all my bills to see where I could cut more expenses. Thank you Renee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Yove done great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your doing great!
    What kind of phone plan do you have? We got the cheapest plan available.Our bill is $24 a month. We got rid of the long distance(hated all those surcharges) & bought a calling card that's about 3¢min.

Cable?If you have it, try going with the lowest tier of service.

Maybe, menu planning could help?

You are already doing bunches to lower your cash out, keep up the good work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you're doing well - we actually make less than you, but we do many of the same things.....

I agree with Darlene - we use a calling card (2.9¢ a minute) instead oflong distance......also the menu planning thing is the only way to go - otherwise (for us anyway) the cost per person per meal skyrockets.....

WTG!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. I do have a calling card from Sam's. Think it's 2.9 cents per minute. Been using my daughters cell phone to make long distance after 9 pm or on weekends. You can get free minutes than. Renee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now you just knew I was going to mention using your library didn't you????

Instead of renting videos, borrow them from your local library along with books, books on tapes, cd's etc.. I just finished putting out a bunch of new Christmas cd's out at our branch and I know I will be listening to some fo those this holiday season. I also borrow lots of books on space saving gardening, container gardening, how to stretch your money, cooking, etc..

If you have some room on a porch or a small yard you could grow some tomatoes, salad crops and even strawberry plants in hanging baskets this Spring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hmsclmom, believe me the library is my best friend! I love to read and go to the library about every two weeks. Glad you did mention the cd's to listen to christmas music. Don't know why I didn't think of getting music cd's while I was at the library. Duh! I love to listen to christmas music. I was playin christ-mas music from Frank Sintra (sp). The girls thought I was nuts. I just told that them that it relax's me and calms me, so anything that relax's me and calms me down they should be glad. If mom's happy, everybody's happy! Thanks again about reminding me about the cd's at the library. Renee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you have family close by? I used to eat one meal per week at my family's house.

Can you ebay anything or do you have any hobbies that can bring in extra cash? With the holidays almost here, a lot of people are willing to buy lots of different things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do housekeeping on my day off and one day after I get out of work. This keeps me from getting money out of the bank and tell the next time I get my paycheck. I hate getting money out of the bank that I have in savings or my emergency fund. Will only do that if it is an absolute emergency. Very seldom do get money out of the bank.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live on around $20,000/year or so, but my husband is in law school and we are trying to pay for his schooling without going into debt, so it keeps things quite tight here!

I have done all sorts of things to help supplement his part-time income. I just finished writing a book/ebook with lots of those ideas in it. I also have my own business, mystery shop, and write/edit for pay. My business has been growing quite a bit recently and so I have been able to do less supplemental stuff, and spend most of my time focusing on the business. I am hoping it continues to move in that direction.

We save money any and every way we can and God continues to take care of us and provide for us so faithfully!

Crystal Paine
    http://www.CovenantWeddingSource.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't buy cleaning supplies when you can make them! For example, a fifty-fifty mix of vinegar and water works great as an all purpose cleaner. I use it on mirrors, counters, rugs (to spot treat), etc.

Use rags instead of paper towels and cloth napkins instead of paper. It goes without saying that you'll get the napkins from the thrift store and the rags are worn out tshirts, sheets, etc.

Barter for services. For example, let's say you make killer brownies and your neighbor is a chocoholic, but a lousy cook. However, this neighbor knows how to change the oil in cars. Well, you bake her some brownies and she changes your oil! Bingo--everyone wins!

Powdered milk is your friend. Use it in cooking even if you can't stand to drink the stuff. When you're making mac & cheese, save 1/4 of the water the mac was cooking in and dump it back in the mac after you/ve drained the rest. Add a couple of teaspoons of milk powder and stir it in when you stir in the cheese powder and margarine. Works great and is cheaper than fresh milk!

Glean--that is, find wild or leftover food in new places. If Americans picked up just the apples that rot in this country every year, we wouldn't need to buy apples for the entire country!! Pick blackberries, pick up walnuts, offer to help weed your neighbor's garden in exchange for a few tomatoes...well, you get the idea.

Hope these help! It sounds like you're doing a great job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Crystal what kind of business do you run? Lori I'm with you I don't buy cleaning products either when I can make them myself. I also use rags and cloth napkins. I did buy some powder milk, but always forget about it when I bake something! I get lucky where my girlfriend has a garden and gives me some of her garden surplus. Always want to get to the farmer's market each year, but always forget. Everybody has such great ideas here. I use to come to this forum, but didn't read direction very well and thought we had to pay to get on this form. Tell's you how good I follow directions at times. Well I am glad I did pay attention, because this is one of the best forums on how to save. Thanks everyone! Renee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rebecca,

My business is Covenant Wedding Source ~ an online retail bridal business specializing in custom-made wedding attire. We also sell a lot of other things, but that is our main focus. You can check out our website below.

Crystal Paine
    http://www.CovenantWeddingSource.com

Looking for ways to earn an income from home?
    Check out our new book/ebook:
    http://www.covenantweddingsource.com/MerchantMaiden.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok maybe this is really cheap, LOL, but some banks have free checking, and free bill pay on line. It saves the cost of a stamp and sometimes envelopes, to go on-line if you get the bill pay for free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Powdered milk is your friend. Use it in cooking even if you can't stand to drink the stuff. When you're making mac & cheese, save 1/4 of the water the mac was cooking in and dump it back in the mac after you/ve drained the rest. Add a couple of teaspoons of milk powder and stir it in when you stir in the cheese powder and margarine. Works great and is cheaper than fresh milk!
    I do this too!

Renee, I think you are doing a wonderful job! All of these suggestions are great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast