I want to live a simple life
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool NEW - I want to live a simple life

Dh and I had a good talk about our future last night. Many of you would know that DH had a small stroke in March this year and collapsed again a few weeks after that. Since then he's been fine, he is 64 and I'm 56 ( ). We are both in good health, we own our own home and have no debt. We own a store now and he works there 5 days and I work 2 days. I have wanted to sell the store since he had his stroke but he was firm in the belief that he couldn't manage financially without it. Now he's changed his mind and wants us to have more time together and to be able to get away occasionally. He also wants to work from home. We need to have an income, we will sell the store and get a reasonable amount for it but we have no money put aside for our old(er) age. The government here offers an old age pension to anyone over the age of 65, he could go on this next year but I couldn't.

We've been trying to think of something we could sell from home that would allow us to have a small income and be independent. We thought about emu oil, which we sell a lot of in our store, but it's not enough. Besides, everyone is selling emu oil on the web.

Last night we decided to test out some eBay sales. We realised that the key point is not to have one product but to have many. We're going to see how well we go for a 6 month period, and if we do ok, we're selling our store and retiring full time to work from home. Our financial year ends June 30, so that is our deadline. We are lucky in that we have a list of suppliers for a huge range of wholesale goods and as we'll keep going to the gift fairs to see the new products being released each year, I doubt we'll run out of items to sell. I'm so pleased about this and even happier that it was his idea to go for it now.

I want to live a simple life. I want to grow and produce as much as I can from my home. We have vegetables growing most of the year, we have chickens and I make all our food from scratch. We don't need a lot. We have everything we need to live a happy and fulfilled life and I see it as am exciting challenge to make ends meet each week.

My family and I have changed so much during this past year and much of it is due to the inspiration of this site. I thank you all for unknowingly helping us change. I see this next period of our lives as a huge challenge and a time of creativity. I've also started writing again, which pleases me a lot.

I'll keep you posted about our progress as we go. I don't see any pitfalls but who knows what will happen, as CJ says, be prepared for everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish you guys the best of luck......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Geez - Rhonda - like there is nothing you couldn't take on!! I truly believe Homeopathic is just at the crest of what it is going to do - I feel like you can't go wrong and another (kindof silly thing) that you have going for you on the American Market which I (perhaps wrongly) feel like a majority of your income will be from - is that Americans right now love all things Australian and English. they don't believe in our products/our word any more as much as they do yours - they believe European but they really believe that Australians are in the know - and have nothing to gain by lying , if you know what I mean - it is a good time for overseas entrepreneurialism!! Good luck to you I know you'll be fine - and if you ever decide to come homestead n American soil you know I have room for you and your animals!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks roxy and kimmee, it feels good knowing others are wishing us well. As you know, kimmee, I'm a confident woman so i'm feeling really good about what is ahead.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well Rhonda (now that's hard for me to type to you..... ) I think you're on the right path. Gripey and I have been talking about and planning on doing much the same thing. His business is one that we could possibly train someone else to do (we have a wonderful helper at present, who would be an excellent candidate) and still maintain an income from. We have invested in another venture that we're very excited about and hope to be able to count on that for future income as well but it's a wait and see game. We're also considering rental property. I truly want to find some ways to make some more "passive" income rather than the kind that you have to be physically working at to make, kwim? I'd love to have an ongoing dialogue with ya about this....Rhonda (I'm still having a hard time with this.....B. )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm having a hard time typing in Rhonda too even though I knew for a long time.

Its nice to hear that your looking at ways to retire and have a home based business Rhonda. I look forward to hearing more of what your plans are.

Retirement can be an exciting time in our lives. Its all what we make it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH did a printout of our expenses last night. At the moment we spend around $450 a week - that includes food, all insurances (including private health @ $1000/year), rates, electricity, gas, entertainment, phones, internet, clothing and everything else that we could think of - I'm sure, like CJ, there will be things pop up that we don't expect but that have to be bought and paid for. I'm not sure if anyone is interested in the exact details as none of the dollar amounts relate to north america.

We have one adult son living with us and although he pays board and for cable TV I'm sure we'll reduce our expenses when he leaves. He's going to Canada to work next year.

Much to DH's horror I said I wanted to keep the cable TV, even though I've never watched it at night (and he does) I love watching Martha Stewart's Living, the cooking shows and some of the lifestyle programs. I see this as my entertainment and sometimes I tape the shows when I'm busy and watch them when I have time. I also want to upgrade to broadband internet when it becomes available in this area. Although this will increase our internet bill it will reduce out phone bill and with us listing on ebay, it will save a lot of time with our listings.

One of the big things that DH will be doing is to enlarge our garden and to produce most, if not all, of our vegetables. We might also get a few more chickens so we have eggs for bartering.

Dh is liking the idea of self sufficiency and simplicitiy more and more now. He said we might be able to sell the store in February, depending on how well we go on ebay. Up to now it hasn't been great but I haven't spent a lot of time on it either so this is something I'll spend much more time on in the future days and weeks. Yesterday I sold $200 but I need to double that on a permanent basis for us to be successful.

I have to go finish off my bread now, I'll be back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To continue on, I tried to sell our old second car on ebay last week but it didn't sell. It's a good reliable car but although I had a few watchers, no one bought it. I'll try again with that soon. I also have many other things to sell on ebay, things from my home and stuff we can buy for our store. I really like the idea of ebay. It allow you to recycle items and get a little money for them along the way. Mind you, some of our stuff I've just given away and I'll contunie to do that every so often - it makes me feel wonderful.

My goal at the moment is to cut my grocery bill in half. I currently spend around $200 a week on groceries, meat, fruit and vegies. I'm sure I can cut this down, I hope I can get it down to $100 a week. With our garden and chooks in full production I should be able to do it. It would help if DH was a vegetarian too but I doubt that will happen. He did say he's perfectly happy to eat meat only twice a week so I might try him on that and see how he goes. It will make a huge difference to our food expenses, particularly when our DS moves out next year.

I'll update everyone again soon. I hope you have some tips and hints for me. I need all the help I can get.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda, you can do this & I'm so happy for you! It can only work if you 2 are on the same page & you are. You my friend are well on your way. And when you rest your head at the end of the day you are indeed going to sleep well with all the hard work your self sufficiant hands will be doing. I am so happy for you & Hanno.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda, I am so happy for you and your hubby! and a little jealous too. I just know you will meet your goals and soon be living the "good" life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe that you can accomplish anything that you set your mind to!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda, what can I say? This plan of yours and dh's sounds wonderful! I really admire people who chose this path

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This all sounds so wonderful Rhonda, I wish you and your dh all the luck in the world!

Julia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda- That sounds like a wonderful plan, and a very worthwhile way to live. I wish you and your DH all the very best, and just know you will do well! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda,

I think this is a wonderful goal and I wish you the best making it a reality! I know you can do it and I am so inspired by you!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast