have a "life" while living on one income....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default have a "life" while living on one income....

Seems funny to even say that doesn't it? Most people I encounter think that because I stay home we don't have anything and can't afford to do much. That I am unable to work or some other nonesense like that.

People ask me all the time how do you have a life since you don't work. Well for me anyway the answer is simple. My "life" is my children and doing things for them and my spouse brings me great joy. My Dh and i go out to dinner from time to time or even put the kids to bed early and have an at home date. i am not deprived from the greater things in life and have seen alot in my life. I ENJOY on income living because I know in my heart that's what I have been called to do.

I think the easy way to answer that question (I'm sure you've all gotten asked it also) is this: How can I afford not to love my life no matter whether I work or not, life is what you make of it and having a life to me is just what I do everyday.

Just some passing thoughts I had today after a friend asked me how I could like staying home at all because I didn't have a life....SIGH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH and I are seen to not "have a life" by many of our friends, but funnily enough it's by the people that we never see!

The people that we visit, or that come to see us or that we meet up with at a rugby game or for a drink - they don't think that we don't have a life because there we are - with them, enjoying ourselves and having a life!

The people that tell me I don't have a life are the people who only contact me via a quick e-mail from work because there's no point in calling me to go out as I don't have a job so I can't have any money.

The main difference between when Dh and I both went out to work and now is that now we can see where we are and where we want to go. We can be true to our own vision and not be sidetracked by what we "should be doing at our age".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel the same way as you, mommy2many. I have always felt complete to be a sahm. I think what really matters, is to chose what makes you really happy--wether to be a sahm or a working mom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by hmsclmom
    You know something...my life was much more pleasant when we lived on one income. Even working part time is adding to the stress around here.
    Same here. I miss being a full time sahm. The extra money is helping us get out of debt but I am looking forward to "retiring" in a few years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love what you've written. I agree, many people equate living with spending. What a sad lot they are. You're on the right track, it's a pity they can't see past their consumerism to recognise your genuine happiness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm sounds to me like someone is jealous of your SAH life! To each their own, I wanna be home! No missing life here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I would be as happy outside the home as I am right here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ITA with you. I do get lonesome at times, but I love my job. Just because we stay home doesn't mean we don't have a life. Actually, in one way we have more of a life, because we get to do a lot of things we couldn't if we were working.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Right now, I'm working outside of the home p/t and I hate it. I am striving to get my portrait business going so that I can be home all the time.

I resent any time that takes me away from my home and family. I found out 2 days ago that my EX-h got fired which means my childsupport won't be there. Reality...I've got to get the art paying or find a full time job because even w/ the changes we've made, my darling dear husband cannot pay all the bills alone.

Send up prayer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a single person on 1 income. I found being blessed with what I have helped tremendously and be able to enjoy life on the "slow track" unlike most people. I rather stay home and be with my family and pets and do the things I want to do. I don't want to wait to retirement to enjoy life to the fullest because I may not live to that long.

Jill

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with you. We do a lot as a family that doesn't cost much. We go bowling together, to some free local sites, the flea market. We play games and rent movies. DH and I spring for a babysitter once a month or so and go out. So we drive cars with a gazillion miles on them, and I buy my clothes off ebay. Big deal, I am at home with my kids and I love it.

My favorite response when someone asks what I do and I say SAHM is "Oh! I wish I could afford to stay at home!" LOL! I always say - "So do I!" LOL!

When DH was out of work for 6 weeks a few years ago, I filled in at the afterschool program at our church. It became very apparent to me that my idea of necessities and other people's ideas were vastly different!

HUGS to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been a sahm all my life...my girls are now 27 and 25 and I continue to stay home...I am free to watch my grandson, get him to school or fill in for dd with him in lots of ways...Since she will be having a second child my being at home to help is going to be more important than ever....DD#1 has said that I am here role model of how living on one income is possible...She has watched us through the years as we have been on top then at the bottom, and always paid our bills, kept a roof over us, clothes and food on the table and she is quite proud...Remember that there is no higher calling on this earth than being a homekeeper

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Paying job = A life? I just don't get it. I work part-time , two days a week. I certainly do NOT consider my job to be my LIFE. My life is what happens when my time is my own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE being home with my kids. I wouldn't want it any other way. My dh and I have been talking more about cutting back on our expenses, so we can learn to live a more simple life. We've been home all weekend and I haven't missed going out. Our kids have things to play with outside and we have food in the house, what more could I want? I like to go out every now and then, but I prefer spending the majority of my time with my dh and kiddos. I've been decluttering for the past year and it amazes me how much *junk* we had accumulated and don't even use. I'm glad these things have found new homes. It shows me how much I really need to be happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast