Missing anything??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Missing anything??

What do you miss most about the two incomes?

I love being a sahm and would not have it any other way but I worked from the time I was 16 until I was 33 and had ds....I think the biggest thing that I miss is not so much the money because there is nothing that I want or need that we don't have...but the "making my own money". My dhs salary is all "our" money but it still doesn't feel like I have my own....does that make any sense? I feel funny if I spend any money on something for me....I have always had a income and it was really hard for me to get used to not getting a check. Does anyone else feel this way, what other things do you miss?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can honestly say that I don't miss anything about having two incomes.

Since I stopped working we have taken control of our lives, the house is more organized, our money situation is far better than when we both worked. there is less stress because I am on "slow time" and there is never a rush to do anything and this rubs off on Scott, when he comes home from work then we are "at home" and work is not an issue.

Even though we have less money coming in, because we are in control of our money it goes further and we don't seem to do without anything.

As far as spending money on myself goes, it's not really an issue as my input is just as important as Scott's. simply because I do not have a paid job doesn't mean that my role is any less valuable, I think it's when people see their status coming from how much money they personally have that this kind of work is devalued. I take care of food, shopping, most housework, organising the house, help with the budget and deal with the savings.

DH always says that the fact he knows he can get up in the morning and know that everything we need for the day is ready and where it should be gets him in the right frame of mind to be happy and productive - believe me it wasn't always like that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only thing I miss is daily contact with other adults that I call friends. I don't miss anything else.

Eileen

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

ssn01
    Tourist

Since I'm not the one who makes the (most) money (as i barely get a couple hundred a month) - I miss (from having a full time job where i grossed 27K / yr) the freedom of going out & getting whatever I wanted/needed.

I nearly restocked my wardrobe in a matter of a couple weeks. I'd never owned clothes that were brand new & treated myself to getting 5 prs of work pants, 1 pr of jeans, 20 button up shirts (i can wear year round) & maybe 5 plain tshirts (to wear to work or outta work). I evengot 2 new pairs of shoes.

Now... I cant go out to get birthday presents, a new hair brush (since mine broke & kinda hurts to use), toothpaste, shampoo, etc... w/out asking for an "allowance" - basically (that's how it feels... but it's not really).

Most of what I earn (what few pennies it is) I turn over to my new-found family. I'm not married in - so I feel I should contribute something. So by cooking & cleaning & caring for the kid(s ) & all else... it almost completes or pays for my living here.

It's a hit in the ego for me to not work (much) as I've always taken care of myself since I was 16... and to not work (more than a couple hrs here & there) is hard for me.

I just wish I could add more money into the household to pay for whatever may come up.

It is only money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love being a SAHM too, but I sometimes miss the affirmation that getting paid for doing my job brought. A raise or a bonus if it was done well, etc. Of course now I am paid in other ways, but after 25 years of getting a paycheck the adjustment was hard.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I owned a couple of video stores for a few years, but otherwise I've always been a stay at home wife/mom. I have to say that I much prefer staying at home to being a working wife b/c I am in control of my life much, much more. I am also on slow time like britbunny and I feel like I make my dh's life so much easier and more comfortable than when I worked. It feels good to me to be at home. Now what do I miss? hhhmmmmmm Face to face communication with several people a day. That's it.