Need suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Need suggestions

We are a one income family. That is two adults, one child, another due very soon and a dog. I worked until October 2003. My departure from the working world was sudden so there was not any savings to fall back on. I am interested in any ideas to spend less, save more, be frugal etc. I like to think I am already doing a good job but I want to do better. I shop for groceries at Walmart and buy quite a few of their Great Value foods. I turn off the lights when they are not in use, don't go out to eat, don't have cable tv or a dish. We don't have call waiting or caller id. We currently owe on our house, 2 vehicles, a small loan and a credit card. Things are tight here now to say the least. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One of the best things to do is to read some of the threads here, especially some of the challenges in the homespun frugal tip and challenges forum . Read as much as you can because you'll find some really great tips. https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...p?s=&forumid=5

You can join any of the challenges anytime you want.

A couple quick tips:

~make all your meals from scratch. If you go out for meals, cut way back.
    ~start a change jar and keep all your change. It adds up quickly.
    ~try to get your credit card paid off.
    ~use your vehicles as little as possible. If you can walk to the store, etc. do that a couple times a week instead of using your vehicle.
    ~watch for good loss leaders and great sales. I know our Walmart is higher in grocery prices than our Superstore. Watch the flyers and compare prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like you've already cut back in a number of areas. Well done. Remember to stay focused and you'll succeed. Good luck with the new baby and keep us updated on how you progress towards the end of your pregnancy.

My only suggestion is to read the archives of posts here. You'll find a lot of very helpful information there. You should start with this thread.......
    https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...threadid=45649

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

High five, CJ, we were posting at the same time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am taking a look right now at what you suggested.

We don't live within walking distance of anywhere so that is out. Our choices of stores within a reasonable driving time are very limited. I know we should pay off the credit card but at this time I am just trying to keep the bills paid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sounds like you're on the right path....we have 9 kiddos and live on one income. the walmart here seems to be higher priced in the grocery department, so we shop at nother grocer's..also buy our fruits& veggies at a local fruit stand (cheaper than the grocers). for other things that we need, we shop the dollar stores first..walmart is our last resort. we have 1 vehicle and combine errands, hang laundry outside to dry, wash laundry in cold water,never waste anything..everything has a 2nd or 3rd use..buy garage sale clothes..never buy new unless its absolutely necessary...there are other things that we do, but that's all that i can think of right now...hope that helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! I started shopping at the thrift store for my clothing. I have saved a fortune shopping there for myself. I really do find nice name brand stuff. It's AWESOME! Before finding this website, I would walk right by the thrift store without a second thought, now it is my favorite place to shop. I do buy my groceries at Wal-Mart also. I like the great value brand too. It is cheaper to shop there than at other stores in my area. I try to watch for sales at the other stores though also. Another thing to bring in a little extra is selling on ebay. Good luck and Congratulations on the baby!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh yeah, forgot to add...have you ever considered a homebirth? I thought that it was a little strange before I tried it...it turned out to be the most wonderful experience ever! We had our youngest 2 at home with a midwife...the cost was $900...campared to a $7,000 hospital birth...and i honestly feel that we were given better care. Even after a c-section w/#6 we were still able to birth at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great suggestion, houseapes! Homebirths are very popular here and quite safe. You'll already have an idea about how difficult your labour will be from your first birthing experience. If you had no problems with your first, you'd be an ideal candidate for a home birth.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have children, but WOW I never realized there was such a difference between a midwife and the hospital!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't really buy myself clothes. I am still wearing things from the 90's. My daughter's clothes are mostly from garage sales. We have a consignment shop in town but it seems pricey for used clothes. I have gotten her some stuff on clearance at Walmart if it is cheap enough.

I don't know about the homebirth. We do have health insurance with BCBS and with my daughter going to the emergency room and having stitches in her face and my ultrasound we have the deductible paid for the year. I was due with her on Dec. 24. On Dec. 25 at 8pm I felt some amniotic fluid leak out so we went to the hospital. By 5:47 in the morning I had a 9 pound 8 1/2 ounce, 21 inch long baby. I had no warning she was going to be that big! No episiotomy and no epidural. I was literally begging for the epidural. I did not get any stitches either. So I guess I could have done all that at home. Not sure that my family would approve. To tell you the truth I am kind of looking forward to going to the hospital and spending some time alone! Closest thing I am ever getting to a vacation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i know alot of ladies that prefer the hospital, but with the experiences that i've had with some of the doctors left me questioning hospital births. and it seems that everytime that i had a baby, they were always doing things differently. i guess too, that it would depend on where you live as to what kind of care that you get. when we lived in wis. I had a wonderful doctor and we had most of our kiddos in a small town hospital...we moved to texas and they did things like barbarians! The doc induced...i thought that she would take me off of the pitocin once my body kicked in...noooo i had that stuff going all the way through labor..doc was mean & pushy, wouldn't let me birth the way that i was most comfortable...i hated that experience....man made contractions are hell compared to natural. when we had the youngest ones at home, it didn't hurt as much b/c I was more relaxed & had an easier time of it...youngest ape(Sam) weighed 9lbs. 10oz. although I had apes #1-5 natural in the hospital...it seemed to hurt more there than at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

forgot to add some more ideas for making ends meet.....We sell on ebay,raise bunnies to sell to pet shops and do craft fairs when we can..also do hold garage sales 1-2 times a year and do a little freelance work for craft magazines...hey Dee!...i should be hearing from them soon..sent out those designs a litle over a week ago. wish me luck b/c it's chicken one day and feathers the next!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL Debra, can't wait to hear they accepted them all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter was born at a small hospital in Wisconsin. They have two labor rooms and two recovery rooms. There was one other mom and baby during the three days I was there. This baby is scheduled to be born there, also. My daughter's birth seemed to hurt quite a bit. I couldn't sit directly on my rear. I had to eat in my hospital bed leaned to one side or the other.

I could never stand to give up a baby bunny. Ebay is definitely not for me. We had one garage sale last year and I plan on having one around Memorial Day. My husband does woodworking but the craft shows have been a real let down so we are getting out of the business. I did try an at home business. I won't say which one but I turned into a money loser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast