Wondering about something

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wondering about something

Do you think it is an easier decision to stay home if you don't have as greater earning potential? Let me explain....
    A friend, for example- she is a sahm without a degree or trade- the benefits of her working even parttime for 6-7 bucks an hour - by the time you factor clothes,food,travel,childcare, etc -probably not worth it. So doesn't work and probably never will. Which is great, imo.

It seems like a harder choice to give up more money. I am completely disgusted with my profession at the moment, but the money is so good.
    Of course, once the kids are older, I will be grateful for the ability to have a good paying job... I am not ungrateful for having the degree, just wrestle with completely giving it up for a time.

I think I just need a different flex job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well lets see, i have a degree in management with lots of experience even if a good portion of it was volunteer...i could earn near 20/hr...and after you factor in daycare for 2, clothes for work, food budget increase...i'd clear about 100/w....not too mention the tax differences at the end of the yr...so NO NOT worth it in the least to be away from my kids for that amnt of money..

you need to get something from your job, not just money.....if you get fulfillment from it..then keep at it...if its killing you for a few bucks you can make due without it....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Feast or famine

For us, it is either feast (I'm working) or famine (I'm not working.)

We could survive on dh's income, but that would be it. We would have just enough money to have shelter, food, clothing and health insurance.

With my job, because I carry the health insurance, we make way more than we need, but we use the money to give generously, save for college bills and retirement, and pay off our last big debt, our mortgage.

I find I feel an even greater responsibility with my money because of what I give up for it (missing my kids all day), so we are VERY careful with our money. We have even goaled ourselves to pay off the 100,000 mortgage in four years. We can do it, but our budget is very tight and we must be very disciplined.

I must add that I am also very blessed to have inlaws that watch my kids, a very supportive husband that helps around the house, and a job that is more than just a paycheck - I teach!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is wonderful, what you are doing with your money. And very good to have family to watch the kids! And the fact that you seem to like your job. I really don't like mine. At all. And I only work 2 days a week. Maybe I am burnt out. Dh doesn't care either way, work or don't. My whole point of the thread was just if it weren't decent money, I would quit today. Sometimes the money isn't worth the stress, though. I think if I had something remotely rewarding, I would actually like going to work and it would be a lot easier. Sorry, I am just whining today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As far as the nursing goes, there are other jobs that nurses qualify for. My sister is a RN and was working at a local hospital which she was very discouraged with the managers and the way the staff was treated. She applied and got a job as a Mental Health Social Worker. She loves her job and doesn't make that much less than she was at the hospital. Maybe you could find somewhere different to work and that would help you feel not so discouraged.

As far as the staying home, I was working at a good paying job (without a degree or formal training) but decided that staying home with my son was more important than any money that was coming in. We struggle at times but we never do without and always have money to give to others and enjoy our lives.

Maybe you could go to less hours a week and that would help you decide it staying home or working is right for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by NoDebtMom
    I think if I had something remotely rewarding, I would actually like going to work and it would be a lot easier. Sorry, I am just whining today.
    Been there, done that. I would call this about my fourth career avenue. However, when I had a job that wasn't remotely rewarding, I didn't have kids and it did pay big $$$. You certainly determine your priorities once you have kids. This job pays less, but has many more rewards. I think the above suggestion is great - explore all of your career opportunities.

Don't apologize...whine away. I know it feels better and I'm happy to listen!