SAHM's....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAHM's....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default SAHM's....

I was just wondering if anyone had a set routine they go by whiel being a SAHM?
    Im home 5 days a week and I work 2 nights Wed/thur for 5 hours each night!
    Im trying to organise my time, Im trying to fit in so much that Im finding it a bit overwhelming right now
    I have a set day for shopping and gardening, but right now I have no set in stone routine....
    I was wondering if anyone else has a good routine they would share?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry, no set routine here. I just like doing what needs to be done first thing in the morning so I have the rest of the day for whatever comes up.
    I do try to plan meals a day ahead so I can defrost whatever I need to.

So far today I've made the bed, exercised for 1/2 hr., had breakfast, washed a load of laundry & picked up the house. In a few I'll take a shower, hang laundry out, walk to po, get prep work done for dinner & vac. Taking time to start a new book, watch my soaps declutter as I watch them. Oh popping in here off & on too.Tomorrow is spent taking lots of stuff to the salvation army (stuff I decluttered over the winter) and visiting with my sis. Already have dinner planned & house will be picked up before I leave.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I have tried a schedule in the past, and it seemed to work ok. Then something always messed up the schedule and I got off track. So I usually do what needs done. I can't have a specific laundry day, I prefer to do a few loads each day instead. I wish (in a way) that I would stick to a routine, as it broke the big chores up (scrub floors on Monday, tubs on Tuesday, etc) - but I don't.

I probably should have a routine for dd and for the other 2 after school is over for summer. We have a semi-routine. But there is no set "play time", "clean up time" etc. such as SuperNanny would have. I may have to come up with such a thing, esp to keep the older ones focused and get chores done early in the day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'ts like menus, the more set in stone it is, the more fragile the system because life hands a person a lot of curves.

Figure out your bare minimum and make a little tick list based on that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my off season (I work from Feb. to June), I find that if I do 2 loads of laundry each on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, then I am done with that for the week. I like to vaccuum on Fridays and Tuesdays, pick up the house first thing in the morning, dishes after that. I also do the shredding on Mondays.. (we get ALOT of junk mail). When I'm working, it's a totally different schedule!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

back with a little more time to answer and elaborate on my minimum maintenance list idea. (Bonnie McCullough in her book Totally Organized got me onto this years ago and it works well).

It's the stuff you HAVE to do, that if you don't do it, you face even MORE work to dig your way out of. That is the stuff you must find a way to deal with.

Figure on systems like laundry, meals etc that if you lose control of, they cost you more time and energy to deal with when you let go of them.
    I have them numbered but it's in no particular order of importance. These are my basic minimums.

1--Laundry (if you lose control there, you spend more money on clothing, and dealing with issues like not having enough room to put it all away when it's all clean etc)

As Goodi2shooz mentioned above, a load a day or every other day, tends to keep it from becoming overwhelming and you can get by on less clothing, which means less clutter.

2--bill paying-- this is paper management and it costs us a lot of time every day. Pick up the mail, sort, toss, dealing with bills. Find a bill holder spot. I use a drawer in the desk and on pay day dh goes thru and pays the ones that are due. As for the rest, I toss the other mail, putting stuff on my wall calendar as needed. If its got special instructions, or a ticket involved staple an envelope on the back of the calendar and shove essentials like that in there. Toss the rest.

3--garbage removal. Closely related to meals, and paper management. Stuff comes in, stuff has to leave or you can't see straight for mess and dirt.

I consider it like laundry, a load a day keeps the dr away. So I take the one under the sink, lined with a no leak no name version of a kitchen catcher and run thru the house, emptying the trash cans in each room, as I head out to the garbage cans in the garage. (it can be every other day if that works better). This keeps things nice.

4--Meals: this is shopping, cooking, and clean up. Daily chore.

Decide on dinner by 9 am or the longer you wait, the less choice there is and the more your options will cost you. Strawberry here (one of my "offline" real life friends for over a decade or more) taught me years back to make a list of meals-- about 10 per every two week pay cycle-- and make a grocery list based on those meals. why 10? because you can do leftovers or take out or go out or fix a company sunday dinner on the other 4 days.

When grocery shopping, do most of it for the whole pay day cycle, and leave a bit for a top up of produce or milk etc midway thru. The more you enter the store, the more money you spend, and the more time and energy you waste.

That way come 9 am in the morning, I choose a meal off my list, defrost it, and I'm ready to roll. All the fixings are there, handy, I'm not scrambling to the store for anything. It's all stuff my family is used to, although I like trying new recipes, I only do one or at most 2 new ones per pay day.

If you work, make the rule 9 pm in the evening to figure out tomorrow's dinner. You pick based on what is happening in the family, who is doing what, and what you feel like eating. It brings the joy and creativity back into the preplanned menu, leaving it flexible.

This also means, less takeout, less trips to the store, thus less cost, and also less fuss and bother, less gasoline, less stress in the grocery line ups as 5 pm approaches etc.

Meal time clean up. I have another load a day rule. I run my dishwasher same time every night whether it's full or not. I unload same time every morning, full or not. By making it routine, it's a no brainer, it gets done and the family always knows that they can put their dirty dishes in the dishwasher. No sudden screams of NO DON"T PUT IT IN THERE, that is a Clean dishwasher, I have to put the dishes away still. No sink full of dirty dishes waiting for the chore person to empty and start reloading.

The other rule is clean as you go. Sometimes that is filling a soapy sink of water, sometimes it's just rinsing and tossing in the dishwasher as I wait for the final thing in a meal to finish cooking. Whatever else you do, try not to leave clean up for later, as things dry and harden and take a lot more of your precious time and energy to clean later.

I wipe down the stove and counters when I'm done. That is easy because I don't keep a lot of stuff out on those surfaces to get dirty. One wipe and done.

Lately I've been using one paper towel per day as a disposable dishcloth to wipe everything down with.

When I'm done at the end of the day, I toss it onto the floor and scoop the crumbs out of the corners and any little blops of spaghetti sauce or veggie peelings that landed during supper prep. Toss in the trash and I'm done.

5--Vacuum and dust. This isn't daily doing everything, but I do a little each day. I use an ostrich down duster, not a feather duster, it works great and is SO much faster than any other dusting method. I'm asthmatic, and I need dust control to keep breathing happily, and I find this works easiest along with my Hepa filter vacuum.

I leave the vacuum pretty much where I quit for each day, slowly vacuuming around the house in a circle route. Dust first, then vacuum. Stop when tired and leave it. Pick up later and keep going. Sooner or later over a week or two it all gets done.

A little oftener in the kitchen where I use a couple of tricks to keep from having to clean the fridge and stove too often.

Fridge--when in the kitchen with the vacuum, hit the fridge inside, in the corners and fronts of shelves where dead crumbs of cheese gather along with dusty dried bits of spinach. It's amazing how much faster you can wipe those shelves down when the dried bits are removed first, but even if you don't wipe them down (and I don't do that very often) it's amazing how much cleaner it stays for longer.

Stove--dump some BAKING SODA on any charred smoking spillovers. Next time you are thru the kitchen with the vacuum, just vacuum up the bubbley shiny black clinkers that formed and leave a nice white layer of soda on the oven bottom or bottom of your stove top rings. Amazing how it keeps it going till you actually really HAVE to clean. Even then, the heat treated baking soda acts as a wonderful scrubbing degreaser!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Final thought. Everything goes faster and easier when you declutter so keep a giveaway box handy and use it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

forgot, I do a little clean and tidy work when i'm in a room.

So for the bathroom, I keep it clean in dribs and drabs. When I go in to brush my teeth, I clean the mirror and taps. When I'm in next to use the facilities, I wash my hands and at the same time, run them round the sink to clean it with my soapy hands, rinse and dry and throw the hand towel to the wash after drying the sink.

I do the tub every other day when I do my shower, and I take my body puff and run it around with some shampoo or cheap bubble bath or hand soap or dish liquid. Whatever I've got handy.

Rinse and step out. Helps too if you train the other family members to spritz a little daily shower spray in there as they use it too.

I usually do my toilet every other day, and I dump some comet in, and run around the bowl and rim with the brush, then leave the brush to sit for a while to disinfect. Next time I'm in the area, I pull the brush out (Comet has bleach to disinfect both brush and bowl!) take a few squares of toilet paper, spritz some spray cleaner on the seat and rim and base, and wipe clean, then flush the whole mess. Clean and disinfected.

I have some threads somewhere that I called the kitchen that cleans itself, house that cleans itself and bathroom same that I will refresh for you.

In those I talk a lot more about doing little tiny bits of minimal maintenance as I move thru my day so it pretty much stays clean without a lot of heavy effort.

Forming little habits that work with you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Every morning I 1 -2 loads of laundry. Stiaghten up the kitchen, living room. vacumn area rug, kitchen floors too, make sure dishes are put in dishwasher, wash down counter. Clean budgie cage. Go downstairs make bed, My kids make their own beds and are responsible for their own rooms.
    This is every second day. Start at bottom , quick touch ups with swiffer, with old face cloth, and spary bottle(hot water, vinegar) all the rooms.dRy dust the rooms, then scrub the stairs working my way up.landing is always bad every day. scrub upstairs, light dust.

Start getting supper ready at 3:00 p.m.. get snacks ready for kids for after school. At 5:00p.m. have supper, the clean up when done, put rest of dishes in , put it on. If there was lots of laundry during day, then thats when i put it away. And go for walk after that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Scheduals

Scheduals don't you just love them?!

I have a lose one.

Up early - 5 am I love the morning!
    Lunches packed, cat feed coffe made for me, check email
    6am - Walk with dog then feed
    7am - Breakfast and devotionals
    8am - Son up and eventually out the door. (18yr old Senior that should explain everything.)
    8:30 - Simply Quilts - appointment Tv and Copy Carol D
    9am - House work -

After Housework and planning the dinner meal, getting it started and making phonecalls the day is mine.

Yep, I know, Life is goood.

PwM

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not a mom, but I'm a SAHW. I do laundry on Wednesdays, clean the house on Thursdays, and reserve the other days for errands, doctor's appointments, etc. I have it so organized that I always see certain doctors on certain days of the week. I'm not a list maker, but I'm big on keeping a schedule!

As for dinner, I always cook on Mondays and Tuesdays, and usually on Fridays. Thursdays are usually something really quick and easy since I've spent the day cleaning house. It's typically tacos or organic boxed mac and cheese. I'm pretty consistent with the time dinner is ready, too.

I'm sure I'd have to be more flexible with my schedule if I had kids, but this works well for me right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really don't have a schedule written down. I am usually up at 4am to get dh up and his cooler ready for work. Once he leaves, I do any dishes dh or son put in sink after I went to bed ( I keep a small bucket in the evening after supper dishes are done, filled with soapy water). Then I pick up bathroom and clean. I go back to our bedroom and make bed pick up and decide if there is enough to do laundry. I iron every wednesday and sunday evening. I make me some breakfast or sometimes I just have coffee. If I have errands to run I am usually out of the house by 9am and home by noon or 1pm. Just depends if I stopped at my parents. Back home I go through mail, pay bills online. Have some lunch, finish laundry and clean another room and vaccumm. I also feed the dogs and cat. About 3pm I start supper. Sometimes later if it is taco night or breakfast night. Dh doesn't get home until 6:30pm - 7pm, so I want what I have prepared hot for him or close to it.
    Then I clean dishes, put away any laundry and find me a program to watch or go to bed. Most days about 3 I have the afternoon to myself. Plus some nights I can't sleep, so i may be online, either reading or searching for recipes, articles of interest and so on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOW!!!!!
    I thought I had a routine Until i read all the great posts!!!!!

Canadian Gardner....adopt me please and fill me with your knowledge!

So many ideas and tips, thanx to everyone!!!
    I now have a plan of action, which is different from yesterdays ideas
    I will post up how my new plan goes!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL UKMum, you are welcome. I put a lot of my thoughts down in the Cleaning forum at these links [ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64627"]Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64236"]Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67694"]Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69244"]Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

http://<br /> http://www.frugalvill...ad.php?t=71478

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't seem to get that last link to work but it's here [ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71478"]Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast