It's Quasi Official
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default It's Quasi Official

I got a call today saying that my position is being eliminated as soon as I go back to work (beginning of August). I have to figure out all of the ramifications of this yet. I do get to keep my top-up from mat leave and I should get severance pay as well so we might be able to get rid of most of our non-mortgage debt. Overall it could be a huge blessing as I will have more time with my children. It still makes me a bit nauseous though as I set up the lab to be functional and essentially worked myself out of a job. The reality is starting to hit. However, we have been trying to live off DH income only and we are doing okay especially since he had a bit of extra income at the end of the year. Two years ago I would have thought this would be impossible, but I am learning a lot!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry to hear that your position is being eliminated. The severance pay will help and you also should be able to apply for unemployment also. I would definitely look into that. I would consider it a blessing and enjoy your children. Lots of luck to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome to a club nobody wants to join: the unemployed. I'm glad you'll be able to clear your debts. As upsetting as the loss of income can be, I can't imagine how freaked I'd be if we carried debt other than our mortgage.

Are you planning on being a SAHM or will you look for a new position?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can I ask........ what do you do??? I'm curious when you say "set up the lab".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Ph. D. in Biochemistry and managed an instrument lab.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will stay home with my girls (ages 6, 2, 4 mos) and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
    I have a Ph. D. in Biochemistry and managed an instrument lab.
    Ohhh....... thanks. Sorry for being nosey, LOL! This is totally off your topic, but I was curious.

My daughter is in 1st year of college and doing a concurrent program of BSc and Med Lab degree. They went on a tour of the labs in one of the local hospitals the other day. She was surprised to learn that they did not offer fulltime positions. The gal who was talking with them was saying that she'd been working there 15 years and still was only part time. Most have to get other jobs.

Originally she wasn't sure if she'd go to graduate school (med school, pharm. school, whatever), but I liked the fact that with this program she could still get a good job without going further. Now we're not so sure.

Decisions, decisions...........

Glad for you though that you're able to clear away your debts and have a warning and some time to learn to live on one income. It's amazing what can be done when learn to live with what you have and not like everyone else in the world.......... loaded with debt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lost my job 3, almost 4 years ago. It was a blessing in disguise. I had a tough time getting any work but I found a part time job 5 months later. My girls (11 and 13 at the time) were definitely happier. We have struggled financially a bit now and then but we didn't have a huge severence package and we used what we had to move to a much lower cost of living area. It worked out. I think that if you get rid of the debt with the severence, you may be ok. If not, with your qualifications, you may be able to do occasional consulting jobs or part time temp. work. Keep up your contacts. Good luck!!!