Is it wrong of me to ....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is it wrong of me to ....

Like being home and not wanting to work outside the home?

My DH doesnt ask me to get a job and I really like being home, I dont mind cleaning, cooking, taking care of the kids, scrubbing toilets and nasty bathtubs but is it wrong of me to NOT want to work? Even when I feel bad about us not having much money I fill out an application at a local store and when I tell DH he get's this look on his face, like "Why did you go do that?".

I used to work from home about 1.5-2years ago until the company started wanting "in-house" people to do the work I was doing so I lost my job, after that I had a part-time job at the grocery store which was nice but I worked like 10 hours a week and drove 15 minutes each way to get there, thus not really making much after figuring gas and taking out taxes, KWIM? So I had to quit.

Personally I really dont want to work, I love being a SAHM, does anyone else feel this way?

Let me add that I dont want to work because I am lazy, if that was the case my house would be a total mess but I dont want to work because I am happy being a SAHM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Doesn't sound wrong to me. I enjoy being home also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like being home too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think it's wrong. As you are working at keeping your house and kids together, it seems like a fair trade of work. I only think it's unfair when one person wants to stay home while the other works, but then doesn't do the work at home either. Which doesn't sound like your case at all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel the same as you. If we needed the money I would go to work, but knowing my dh he would take a second job before we put our 2 year old in daycare for me to work. I do plan on going back to school partime, doing most of it online for now, and be a teacher when my kids start leaving home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the responses... sometimes I just feel guilty and I know I shouldnt... my home is clean, the bills are paid, we have food, I cook and do wifely duties I guess I feel more assured now that I have read some responses, thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Works for me & I've been doing it happily for the past 22 years since just before dd was born. We like it this way. Kids always had someone at home and we lived a more traditonal lifestyle.
    I'm not bored and find great satisfaction in doing what I do. It's not for everybody & I know not can everbody afford to do it. Some people need/want more & they need to do what's best for them.
    Kudos to my friends who work outside & inside the home, you all are awesome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some days I wish I could stay home and do all the cleaning and laundry and cooking, etc. instead of going to my looong 3 hour classes

Registered User northernmom2boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally know how you feel.I like doing all the things that go with staying home.I like being home for the kids when they come home and when they are sick I can be there for them
    So for now I am a stay at home mom and proud of it lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked for most of our marriage. I have only been home full-time since the end of October 2006. Even when we started homeschooling three years ago, I continued to work evenings, anywhere from 12-25 hours a week. We have NEVER used daycare, and I worked full-time from our daughter's birth until she was seven years old. That second income is quickly eaten up by daycare costs, and no one can take better care of our child than DH and I. We just worked opposite shifts.

If we were really hurting for money, I would take another part-time job. DH realizes how much I save us with coupon shopping, cooking at home, getting clothes and other household items at yard sales and thrift stores, etc. All of those money saving activities take time. He would rather I add to the family "income" that way. We have more money in savings now than we ever have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's what I mean, no worrying about a messy house or no one home when the kids get home from school or what's gonna happen if a snow days comes, or the school calls that I have to pick up my sick child? I dont have to worry about asking to take off work or leave work early, it's so convenient and dinner is on the table before DH goes to work at 3:30pm, etc... I love being a SAHM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love being at home, too. I used to be a preschool teacher. I worked part time, 3 half days a week. It was great because I got a huge discount on tuition, which means all my children went to an awesome preschool for next to nothing. Also, I was able to keep my babies in the same room as I was working in. Last May, the preschool closed so I lost my job. I contemplated getting another job. I actually applied at a Montessori school and got hired, but then decided I would rather stay home.

I have had so many people ask me, When are you going to get a new job? Ummm...I'm not. I decided I don't like to work. lol I save quite a bit on gas money now that I'm not driving back and forth. Plus no tuition, no work parties to buy stuff for, etc. Really our income hasn't taken that much of a loss. I have been able to cut back on other things, like our utilites and grocery bills to make up for it.

I like being at home with my youngest. My older 3 are in school all day. My youngest will be 2 on Saturday and I really enjoy being at home with him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love being a SAHM-always have. I have had a few, piddly part-time jobs in the past years, but nothing steady. (Puts us into a higher tax bracket but that is a whole different matter) I think as my children are older now, (I really only have DS at home) some people have commented as to what I will do with my time-"whatever I want" is my usual reply now. I have time to clean my house, do my cookies, see my friends, volunteer, etc..it's really nice.

Tracy-I've read your daily "to do" lists-you do have a job!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think it is wrong of you to want to be a SAHM. It sounds like your home runs great and that there is no need for the extra income so it is wonderful that you are home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love being home with my girls. My days are way busier than they ever were when I was working outside the home. And until recently I was taking a heavy load of correspondence courses to graduate college (which I just finished!). Not sure how I'll "fill" that time now, but I'm pretty sure homeschooling Isabel this fall will do the trick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast