Frugal Village Forums banner

Any single moms out there ?

Tags
moms single
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sueh 
#1 ·
Just curious.If you're a single mom, how can you make it on one income? Especially if you don't make very much? How do you deal with babysitting etc?

#2 ·
I'm a single mommy! I only have my one income and my child support is only $25/week (long story). I own my home and my car and i have no idea how I do it on my own lol I keep a very tight budget. I budget about 3 months in advance and include any activities I know I have coming up, birthdays, events etc... I use coupons when grocery shopping. As for babysitting, my parents live 15 minutes away and my mother retired early in order to watch my daughter full time for me (I'm very lucky) and my sister's 8 week old just started being watched by her also. We don't go out (boyfriend and I) we cook in and I belong to netflix which I split with my brother for $10 each/month. I always have a new movie to watch and never have to go anywhere lol I have hand me down clothes for my daughter and I wear things as long as I can. I buy only on sale (just got a bunch of dress pants and tops at kohls for no more then $13.99 each piece). A friend cuts my hair, I buy meats in bulk, I limit b-day gifts to $10 - $20 (depending on the person), I re-gift, if I throw a BBQ like this weekend I ONLY make things I already have on hand. Oh and big thing, I have both my electric and gas on the monthly budget plans so I know exactly how much I will need each month. And I also have all my appliances covered through my gas company (an extra $23/month) which is great. My air conditioner broke twice over the past 3 months and both times I put nothing out of pocket for the repairs.

#4 ·
single mom of 3

Hi I too am a single mom.
I am new to this site so I don't know how to add all those things at the botom help!!

I honestly don't know how I am doing it. It's very difficult. I am having to do with out a lot. I had to cancel my netflix. I just can't spend anything. I am hoping to get a second job. I wish I could find somework at home.

#8 ·
Hi I too am a single mom.
I am new to this site so I don't know how to add all those things at the botom help!!
Once you log in, at the top left you'll see

"User CP" -- select this to go to the user control panel
then select "edit signature" from the "settings & options list."

#5 ·
I am a single mom raising 2 teens with no real help from their dad. I work constantly because living in San Diego is not cheap. I have a full time job at a gym, a parttime job at a senior center, I house clean, house and pet sit, sell avon and sometimes sell on ebay and I barely squeak by every month. We never go out to eat and I can't tell when the last time we went to a movie. We shop at walmart and Kohl's when they have their awesome sales. My daughter and I have older vehicles. We try to combine all our errands to save gas. I try to put a small amount of money away so we can go camping once a year. We have lived like this for so long that we don't feel like we are missing out.

#6 ·
I am a single mom of two kids. When I was single mom of one child I could barely make it and got into a lot of debt. And at that time I was charging the daycare to credit card and never ever caught up. That was the majority of my expense so I had to change something. I quit my job as soon as I found two families to babysit during day. Saved money on daycare,gas,clothing,etc. So I decided to go to some classes now and then to get licensed to watch more. It took about 6 months to get certified then I was able to take in more. That solved my problem. However it is not profession for everyone but works for me and the daycare costs.

Other then that...finding out what I can afford and sticking to a budget, written down and looked at DAILY, has really helped me stay out of the credit card debt i was in!

My advice...find out your most expensive expenses and think of ways to cut it down. Babysitting? try sharing with friends..put and ad to watch other kids 2nd or 3rd shift if you work 1st shift. Then they can watch your children when you work.

#7 ·
Yes I am a single mom of 3 boys. They are ages 17,16 & 13. My two oldest are about to go to community college this fall. I have spent many years struggling to make ends meet. I am fortunate in the past 3 years daycare was no longer a hassle (the older son babysat the younger ones when I worked). I did work 2 jobs up until last year. I got a big promotion at the end of 2005 and in early 2006 I gave up the 2nd job. Right now I am struggling with the college education and the aspect of finding a jalopy for my oldest son to drive to college... :loop:, not to mention the insurance, etc. A Mother's work is never done.

#9 ·
I am a single mom of 2 girls (7 & 5). It has been a long hard road but I now can honestly say that I am so proud of myself. How we get by sometimes is beyond me but we do.
I shop the grocery stores for loss leaders and coupons. I now prepare my menu around what it on sale and I do buy some convience foods for the freezer for those busy nights or those I don't feel like cooking nights. I buy their clothes when they go on clearance. They do go to daycare during they day when they are not in school. I do get assistance with that. As for extra babysitter, if I really need to go out (which is hardly) I have a friends daughter watch them. They love her. I trade for haircuts from my friend. I purchased a foodsaver which has been priceless and I get the bags from ebay. I buy meat in bulk and freeze in portions. I invested in a deep chest freezer when I got my tax refund years back.
When I first became a single mom I signed up for every assistance that I qualified for. This was a stepping stone. I signed up for WIC, foodstamps, housing assistance, daycare assistance, medical & fuel assistance. You can even qualify for fuel assistance even if you rent. Three are so many programs out there.
I now only qualify for daycare assistance as I make too much $$ :shake: but I have been fortunate. I am now also in a program that will assist me in purchasing my own home.
I just got rid of a bunch of things that I consider a luxury. We go to the library and rent movies and of course books. If I am offered something which I have been very lucky I always take even if I don't need it.
I was taught way back that if you were offered something even if can't use it, take it because that person may never offer you something ever again.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.