What kinds of activities do your kids do during the day?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question What kinds of activities do your kids do during the day?

I've been trying to find some new games and activities for my almost 4 year old. I just thought I would start this, and maybe I could get some ideas from you guys!

We play games (Top-It, Hi Ho Cherrio, etc.), build forts, watch some TV, color (but my boys don't enjoy coloring that much), watercolor (they like painting a bit better).

It just feels like we are doing much of the same things each week, and I'm getting bored with them, so I am sure he is too! I would love to find some games or activities that teach letters & numbers, too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

while cleaning up his toys u could ask him how many toys that start with a letter, that are one color, do a scavenger hunt for his toys that begin with a certain letter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just gave our boys (5 and 3 1/2)an arts and craft dresser. We bought a really cheap dresser (is that what they're called in English? a thing with drawers) at Ikea. We filled it up with paper, crayons, stickers, notebooks, coloring books, play-doh with cookie cutters, pipe cleaners, empty toiletpaper rolls, kid friendly glue, old magazines etc,etc.
    Now I have to say, my 3 1/2 year old is very...lets say outgoing, but he can literally sit at the diningroom table for almost 2 hours playing with his crafts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i play the abc game with my kids. my two oldest still like to play it!

here is how it goes:
    start with a, then tell them they have to say so many words that start with that letter. for us, we use 3.
    each person playing, has to say 3 different words. keep going until you have finished the alphabet.
    i started this, to help them learn the alphabet, and to strenghten their language skills. you would not believe what a teaching skill this is! and it's fun. you can adapt it, to say, what do we have in the kitchen that starts with a, the bathroom that starts with t, and so on.

another thing, when you are cleaning, have them help you. with me, i use concentrated cleaners, that have to be measured. so i have them find me what measuring cup in need.

for math, have them gather all their toys in a pile in their room. much better if you have them to use matchbox cars. put them in piles according to color. then have them count them. do little problems like, if the green cars wanted to go visit the red cars, how many would there be? things like that.

always have them help in the kitchen. there are several ways that you can teach them by cooking. like, how much do i need to make one batch of something? two? three?
    also, let them help you figure out what goes into things. like, telling them what ingredients you need and have them get them for you. it helps them in figuring out things later. plus, it's special time with mom, and will instill in them, the sense that when they get older, they won't be helpless in the kitchen.
    have them help with the laundry. have them sort by color for you. also, have them help fold. like in my house, i fold the laundry a certain way, so i have taught them from an early age, how i do things, but let them do it their way, to see if that way is better. it helps with problem solving.
    or if you want, have them sit in the kitchen, while you are doing something, and give them a picture book, tell them to tell you the story as they see it, have them expand on the pictures. that will help them in school so much.

btw, i have done this with all of my kids. everyone of them is on the honor roll. even my daughter with learning disabilites. with her, we were told that she would never be in regular classes for reading and such. well, lo and behold, they took her out of her title 1 classes last year, only after two years of being in them. now, she still has problems with math, but that is something that we are working on.
    my oldest, dss, passed his act test with flying colors. he has gotten offers from college's all over, but he wants to stay close to home. my oldest dd has not even taken test's and just because of her grades, she is getting more offers than dss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 4yo likes play-doh. Maybe cooler for boys than coloring. Cutting paper into bits for no known reason is also popular. I always let them sweep, help me cook, fold laundry, whatever I'm doing. I also give them their bath in the afternoon. It passes time and I don't have to rush them in the evening. Some bath toys, bubbles or soap paint make the fun last even longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Play Doh would be my suggestion.

Right now my almost 5 yr old really likes wrapping Christmas packages with me. She also sat writting her own Christmas notes and card while I worked on mine today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with all of the above suggestions.

When dd was little, I bought her those preschool education workbooks (Walmart or Kmart, etc.) and we would work on those for about 1/2 hour a day. It must have worked because she is really smart in school and in the gifted program.

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We definitely work on letters and numbers with my 3 and 5 year olds. I also read a ton to my kids, that is so important! Also include him in your daily work, as well as make sure he has some time just to himself each day.

Other than that - shaving cream, paints, crafts to go along with the seasons or holidays, exercise with him (jumping jacks, sumersaults, etc), building with blocks, cooking, car races, obstacle courses, follow the leader, etc
    Have fun!