To work or not to work...vent

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default To work or not to work...vent

Agggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I need to vent! I want to go back to work (need health insurance) but I am so confused.
    Daycare for ds3 and Afterschool care for ds6 is ridiculous. I found a place that was cheaper but I don't want my kids to be in there. It is not well-kept. The other places are either too expensive ($300/week) or full ($200). I have called about every place around here. I am so frustrated and so confused.

My dh has learned to not say anything when I am in this mood and when he does, he says "Yes, dear. Whatever you want dear. " LOL. He is self-employed. To get him insurance would cost around $ 400/ month.

I have a job interview tomorrow and another job offer from my ex-boss. The thing is, I have a long drive to work either way. I can also work per diem but that means I will not be able to get health insurance.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Keilley

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it costs more than the $400 for dh's insurance JUST for the care of your children, why don't you stay home and put that $$$ aside. Add to it the amount of $$$ you spend on gas, lunches, work clothes, meals out because you are too tired to work and you may come up with enough for family coverage. I have a relative who is a social worker and made $18,000 a year for the state. She had 2 daughters in daycare and she spent $10,000 (before tax) on that alone. That left her with about $3,000 for her gas, clothes and lunches out and dinners on the run. When she sat down and figured it out, she was losing $4,000 a year to work and put her daughters, 2 and 4 in daycare.

If I understand you correctly, it will take $800 a month just for the care of your children. When we had COBRA (the in-between insurance between dh's jobs), it was only $450 for our family of 5. If you had the $800 for childcare, why can't you spend the $400+ for family coverage? Just curious.

If you really just WANT to work, then my comments are voided, but if you want to stay home, you can work it out. Of course, if your job pays mucho $$$, then it may be worth it.

Hope everything works out for the best.

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If insurance is the only issue, I'd check into all insurance programs, Your state should offer something for the kids only then maybe you could better afford insurance for just you and dh...only a thought...Of course the cost of daycare and gas could outweight the benefits of working.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know what state you live in but we are in colorado and although we don't have insurance(Dh and I) our kids are covered completely we only pay five dollars for office visits and my sons ear tube surgery was free! They are pretty lenient about income as this is NOT medicare or medicaid supported. I would check it out. Because you have such a large family I am sure if your state has a comperable program your income may qualify Good Luck.

Nealy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good point nealy. I think it's a federally funded program, the result of Hilary Clinton's work, but I'm not sure. In Iowa its the HAWK-I program. $10 or $20/month, and all of your kids are covered. The income brackets are pretty high. Here they count 80% of you gross yearly income, and a family of 3 can make just over $27,000 a year and still qualify! I was working to inform people of this program a couple of years ago, I've forgotten some of the details since.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks Karen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, absolutely check out your state insurance program for kids. Here in MO it is called MC Plus and the income guidelines were pretty high if I remember right.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, all. Thanks for all your support. Unfortunately, we don't qualify for any state funded insurance. My dh "makes too much". Somehow, somebody forgot that self-employed people pay a bunch more taxes. Oh, well.

I interviewed for 2 jobs today. I'm not sure which one will make an offer. I have a feeling it might be both.

I also found a daycare for my kids which will cost $140/week. I should technically make this $$ in a day after taxes. Both companies are offering health/ dental and vision insurance at approx. $200/month.

Pray for me that I will make the right decision. Thanks you all. I love this group.

Keilley

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good luck in which ever you choose. i will be praying but have all faith you will know which one to take.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why cant your husband watch the children say in the evening? get a job that works in the evening when your husband is done with his job for the day. No daycare to pay for and they are right in their own home, so you know the kids are safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I could work at night. My dh works out of town for periods of time. I have no family in town who will watch them.

I did get 2 job offers. I am totally confused now. Pray that I will make the right decision.

Keilley

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, what a confidence booster...two job offers.

Sending prayers as you make this decision, and for a very smooth transition in this new adventure for your family!

yvonne