OMG! I don't think we can make it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default OMG! I don't think we can make it!

So dh has just started a new job. It pays less than his previous job (construction) but is definitely a more reliable income.

My MIL has been watching the baby for a couple weeks because with paying for daycare and the fuel to get back and forth I would be making very little.

So we made the decision for me to become a SAHM. Scary but we felt it was the right decision. We went over things a million times but somehow we messed up. The numbers don't add up. We are not going to be making enough to cover everything. I'm not talking about spending money or eating out, I'm talking about bills & groceries.

I'm sitting here at my office (next week is my last week) in tears because I don't know what to do. I can't ask for my job back because they already found someone to replace me and there isnt' anything else I can get that pays this well and then I really wouldn't be making any money because of the above expenses.

What do I do? I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something. I thought about babysitting, etc but we are too rural for that.

I am just so lost, I don't know what to do. Sorry to go on like this its just like I've been smacked in the face.

Just a little more info. We have a 4 month old dd and our income is going to be less than half (really more like 1/3 of what it has been up until now). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by MandaRenee; 03-07-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding more info

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Perhaps you could post your budget? The ladies here are great at helping find ways to trim costs. Hugs to you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It'll be ok... it will.

Things happen, but you'll always find a way.

What about taking on a pt job? any kind of supplemental income to get you past the hump of getting used to being a SAHM.
    Maybe have your mom babysit a few hours while you work?
    What about crafting or selling things you can make/do? (there's always ebay!)

i dont know how old your child is, but you can definitely work around it...
    there's always something to do.

let us know a few more details and we can give tips and advice.

it's ok to feel sad and disappointed... mistakes happen. it's _how_ you handle them that matter.
    And you'll handle it well I'm sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, first of all, deep breath. Get through your work day and then go home and look at things again. Maybe you're missing something that you counted on before--you said you went over things a million times and it worked. I agree with Tiffany--post your budget and see if we can help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm pretty crafty and had actually been playing with the idea of trying to sell some of my things. I'm just not sure how much I could make with them.
    I've thought about some freelance writing but its hard to find anything that seems legitimate. I also sell Avon but its not doing very well at all.

The problem with part time working is we are in a very rural location. I would have to drive 30 miles to get to ANYWHERE that would hire someone. So then I have to factor in gas there too.

My mom lives in another state so she can't help and my MIL can't keep watching dd because she has to take care of my neices a lot and its too much for her. Besides we were paying my MIL too (not as much as a daycare thankfully) so its not all that helpful because she ran our utilities up big time.

I know our problem is with the amount of debt we have. We are making 2 car payments but the idea of being home without a car and a small baby worries me because of emergencies. If something were to happen we'd have no way to get anywhere and there aren't a lot of people around. We also have a 4 wheeler that we bought before I found out I was pregnant. We would love to sell it but we can't get enough for it to pay off what we owe and we would end up upside down in it.

I know I can cut my grocery budget down some and I have a pretty good stockpile to help out there. I'll also be doing what I can to reduce our utilities while I'm home. We don't have cable or internet at home at all so nothing to cut back there. But we do need to have dial up at least because I do a lot of my Avon sales and most craft selling would be online through Etsy or something. But the idea of adding another bill is insane. We do have cell phones but that is the only communication we have and my family all lives out of state.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Depending on how much your family makes, look into food stamps and utility assistance. Do you already have WIC? These can be a tremendous support to you while you are in a transition. Keep your chin up, it will be okay!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't get any sort of help. I have never felt the need to. I will talk to dh about these programs tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you absolutely sure you wouldn't be able to hang onto your job? If you have done well & your boss likes you, you could try explaining what you have posted here to him/her. Even if they have already hired a replacement, you are the one with the on the job experience...

Obviously you gave them notice, just tell them you have decided you would like to continue working there. If they aren't willing to let the new hire go then you'll have to think of something else.

If they are willing to allow you to keep your position, you could always check into subsudized daycare. Many families with children receive assistance with daycare payments through DHS in order to be able to afford daycare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will talk to them on Monday about it but I doubt very seriously they will. They were unhappy about losing me but they also weren't willing to let me do any of my work from home unfortunately. But it is definitely worth a shot.

I doubt we would qualify for help with dh and I both working. That was always our problem before. But I will look into it this afternoon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MandaRenee View Post
    I will talk to them on Monday about it but I doubt very seriously they will. They were unhappy about losing me but they also weren't willing to let me do any of my work from home unfortunately. But it is definitely worth a shot.

I doubt we would qualify for help with dh and I both working. That was always our problem before. But I will look into it this afternoon.
    My son & his wife both worked and still qualified for subsudized childcare. I don't know what the income limits are, but I do know they are quite high. You may still have to pay a portion, but you wouldn't have to pay all of it depending of course upon your income. Best of luck to you!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First, I'd still try to sell the ATV or take it back to the dealer. Then I'd look at getting rid of one of the car payments. Sell the car and try to get a used one with no payment. If not, try having one car for a little while. It is not so bad. Think about it: no payment, insurance, tags. That's a big expense. Definitely try selling crafts. Are there any other items you aren't using around the house that you could sell? Ebay is an option. Sell some stuff at a yard sale. Do any churches in the area hold yard sales where you can rent a table? Try to cut all flexible expenses to the bare minimum. You are going to have to make sacrifices. I wish you the best. Hang in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When you speak with someone at work, you can also tell them that you enjoy the company and if something ever comes up to keep you in mind. Also, you can let them know you are available if they need any information about you job. Just try to keep a door open with the company.

Everyone has already made some great suggestions for you to consider. Good thing it is Friday and you can hopefully relax a little and figure things out. Also spring and summer are coming and if you can you might want to think about gardening.

I am sure everything will work out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you possibly babysit a few kids? Thats how we survived when we had little kids. Its tax free money, and you are homw with your own kids. I was making about $300.00 a week babysiting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MOMMYDEAREST View Post
    Could you possibly babysit a few kids? Thats how we survived when we had little kids. Its tax free money, and you are homw with your own kids. I was making about $300.00 a week babysiting.
    I'm not sure how this is non-taxable. Is this an IN rule?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast