Why does my stockpile not feel like a stockpile?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Angry Why does my stockpile not feel like a stockpile?

I've been working on a stockpile for, I'd say, about a month now. We've been adding roughly 25-40 dollars a week into it and well, there's a good amount of food in all the cupboards that I'm using for it (as well as the chest freezer). My refridgerator is the fullest its been in a long time and it stays that way, which was something that never really happened before. We've been actively eating leftovers and buying things to compliment what's in our stockpile. But for some strange reason, it doesn't truly feel like a stockpile. In my head, I have these images of my cabinets and freezers overflowing with so much food that I have to put the vast majority of it in other places (like downstairs on our brand new shelves). I can go a couple weeks before I have to buy some items. For instance, if I get baked beans for 68 cents a can one week and buy four cans, the next week they can go up in price and I won't have to buy them that week. I then have to buy them the next week so that means I have two weeks worth of beans in my stockpile. I'd say I usually buy enough stuff to make at least a two week stockpile and that's totally not what I wanted out of it at all.

I want us to be at the point where I can stockpile three months worth of food. We were well within our budget for June but July's already looking thin. We've spent $147.73 in actual groceries to consume for the week and then we also spent another $76.38 towards the stockpile. That means I have at least another $252.27 to spread over the next three weeks in order for us to stay in budget but we've already almost all of July's stockpile budget in the first two weeks! I'm sure DH will tell you there's a sufficient amount of food in the house but ahhhh, I just don't know! We plan on going to a bi-weekly shopping schedule starting this coming Sunday and while that may be harder on our stockpile to do, we figured it might be better for us in the long run financially.

I've been stockpiling ground beef when it's 50% off (like this week I bought 10lbs worth of lean ground beef for 9.23, so it was 92 cents a pound) and also stockpiling things like dressings, ketchup, mustard, and other condiments when they're severely marked down. I bought 12kg of sugar today for 11.94, so I got it for 45 cents a pound. I also bought enough coffee creamer to last me at least six weeks and there's enough toilet paper in the house to last us three more months. I also have enough paper towels to last us for three months, some feminine hygiene items to last me until at least September (if not longer), 12 tubes of toothpaste to last at least until Christmas, etc. I think the one thing that's bugging me about the stockpiling is the food portion of it. I bought some chicken noodle soup and tomato soup a while back in the 12-can pack and we still have some left. I also have a ton of pasta products that have been in my cabinet for quite a while, and we have enough hot dog buns to last us for a couple of weeks.

Is there any way for me to make my stockpile seem like it's going the best it can go? Am I just not paying enough attention to how often I'm running out of some items, compared to others? I wanted to get our shopping budget down to where I'm only spending enough each week for milk and bread but it doesn't seem like that's happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It does take some time to get your stockpile up.

When I do stock up, I try to buy 6 month worth at a time. I find that is about the cycle around here. Sales come for things about that often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If i would have found mark down hamburger for .92 a lb i would have bought all i could. If the baked beans are some thing that you use alot in a week you need to buy more than 4 cans you need to buy 8.If you have a running list in your head what you need when you stumble upon a sale you know that well i only have 12 cans of corn i need 12 more...etc... I try to keep 24 cans of each veggie on the shelf, i know that veggies run .45-.75 per can not on sale so if i can get them 3/$1 i do a good stock up as i know i wont get that again for awhile. If you know that you go thru 2 jars of salad dressing per month when its on sale buy 4, you just keep adding as things are on sale then you WILL get an awesome stockpile!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The other thing to keep in mind that blowing the budget doesn't help your goals. Building a stockpile takes time - far longer than one month.

So just set aside a certain amount per month that is within your budget for your stockpile, pick the best sales of things you use and watch it slowly grow.

Some people switch their shopping habit to buying "food" because it is easily justifiable - we'll eat it, it's for emergencies, it's our stockpile. And they obsess and hoard food instead of shoes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually for just starting out you are doing quite well. Do try to get more at one sale than just a couple of extra cans. I started out by buying case lots. Now i only buy 4-8 cans to add to the stockpile when they are on sale. (I have a good 6-9 month supply in my basement. My mum thinks of it as a mini grocery store) It is a great feeling that I can just go down stairs and pick what I need from that and add the newer cans to the back of the stockpile. Out with the old and in with the new.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I started my stockpile, I took a month and kept track of what we really ate in the month.

So for us it was something like this with the canned goods:

green beans 2-3 cans a week, we love the things
    canned corn 1 can a week
    2 cans of green chilies
    1-2 cans of pork and beans
    2 cans of other beans, like pinto or black beans depending on the season
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    2-3 cans of diced tomatoes.

Then when I decided how long to prep for I started just doing the math. I was shooting for 3 months so 12 x 2 cans of greens beans was 24 cans, so when a sale came along I stocked up with that in mind. I did the same thing with frozen vegetables and meat.

I also used the 10.00 a week method of stocking up. I chose an item that was on sale that I needed and bought 10.00 worth. This will also work with 5.00 a week. It just takes some time to get where you want to be using this method but it is a good steady way to stockup.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually have a list of whats in my stockpile. Dh laughs at my laundry stuff and tp collection.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you're doing real well for just starting out. I don't have a large stockpile as I just don't have the room in my budget to do so. Sounds like you're doing good though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would agree that it takes time. For me it also takes lots of coupons and great sales to match to. For example, right now there is a coupon out for crystal light. Buy 3 other kraft, OM, Nabisco products get free crystal light. Kool aid is a kraft item so if I buy 3 packets of koolaid I get crystal light as well for .30 total! Right now I have alot of both because of the coupons. My stockpile seems a bit unbalanced because of the way that I shop. Like right now I have a bunch of koolaid (which I don't use so I'll donate), crystal light, cereal and planters nuts but I am short on diced tomatoes, cooking oil and peanut butter. But I will eventually find deals on those and the balance might go the other way. Am I making any sense?
    HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are doing great. But like another poster posted when you are stocking up pick up more than 4 or 5 of something. Pick up a 3-6 month supply of that item especially if it is a good deal.
    It has taken me a year to a year and a half to get my stockpile to where it is today. (Look in the gallery for my pics)
    I focus on 1 or 2 deals a week that are rock bottom prices and stock up a 6 months supply. I can do this because I only have to shop for my stockpile now.
    It all takes time and patience but you will see a difference.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 29
    Tanner 25
    Johanna 20
    Grandma to Jaxson 4/18/14

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right -- be patient. I started building my stockpile with just $10/week (several years ago). I'd buy whatever loss leaders were available - up to the $10 limit.

Now, when I find a sale - I try to buy at least 12 weeks worth, as that's the sale cycle around here for most things.

I have about a years supply of most items now. but it's taken me quite some time to get there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It takes time to build a stockpile while on a budget. For only a month in, you are doing good, with more time your stockpile will grow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wanted to add that you are doing great for just starting out! It does take some time to get it where you want it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Persimmon Lace View Post
    When I started my stockpile, I took a month and kept track of what we really ate in the month.

So for us it was something like this with the canned goods:

green beans 2-3 cans a week, we love the things
    canned corn 1 can a week
    2 cans of green chilies
    1-2 cans of pork and beans
    2 cans of other beans, like pinto or black beans depending on the season
    1 can of cream of mushroom soup
    2-3 cans of diced tomatoes.

Then when I decided how long to prep for I started just doing the math. I was shooting for 3 months so 12 x 2 cans of greens beans was 24 cans, so when a sale came along I stocked up with that in mind. I did the same thing with frozen vegetables and meat.

I also used the 10.00 a week method of stocking up. I chose an item that was on sale that I needed and bought 10.00 worth. This will also work with 5.00 a week. It just takes some time to get where you want to be using this method but it is a good steady way to stockup.

I always keep track of what is going out and that is added to my grocery list for the next month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This might seem silly, but I have started to write the current date on every item we open or begin to use: floss, shampoo, toothpaste, package of TP, mouth wash, box of crackers, oatmeal container, flour, sugar, oil, box of baking soda, cat litter, dry cat food, mustard, cereal, mayo, salad dressing, etc... I have started to put a date on products so I can "track" how long they last. I had been trying to stock up for 6 months on items, now I am working on a year's worth of some products (mainly Toiletries and household right now). It's more difficult to think year long stockpile to stay within expiration dates. That's another good reason to mark things. f I know it takes 3 months to get through a container of mayo or salad dressing, then 4 containers will last us one year. I can keep that in mind when it goes on sale. I will want to make sure that at least one of the containers of Mayo or Salad dressing for my stockpile expires over a year from the current date, that way it will still be good to use when we open it.

Writing down the date on things has helped me to figure out that: our cat litter lasts for 3 months, 1 bag of dry cat food lasts just over 2 weeks for our cats, a bag of cat treats lasts almost 2 weeks (if doled out conservatively). My contact cleaner lasts for a month, 1 (4pk) of Angel Soft lasts us a month. It has helped a lot here to know how long it takes to run through items. Until the end of this year: We are stocked up on: Paper towel, laundry detergent, dish soap, dishwasher detergent,shampoo and conditioner, jarred applesauce, fiance's deodorant, and both our shave gels.

I just keep adding to the stockpile as I find sales. I know when I have enough of one item for several months and when to go ahead and add more. It's been fun shopping in my own closets the last few months for things we were buying at least once a month.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast