Why Stockpiling/Food Storage?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Why Stockpiling/Food Storage?

So I'm curious to find out why most do stockpiling. I never had tried to stockpile until I found this site, and now I'm trying to add to mine little by little with items I use often. For now, stockpiling for me is about adding more now so that if certain months are really tight or in the event that my husband were to lose his job, we could pull from our extra stores to tide us over until things are better.

Now my sister, on the other hand, seems to have a different idea of keeping a stockpile. When she mentioned to me the other day that she was worried about the economy and wanted to start a food storage, I began to explain to her how I was doing so, a little at a time with foods/items that I commonly use and need. She paused on this for second and then explained to me that what she had in mind was purchasing some large bags/containers of rice/beans/wheat and then storing them somewhere in case, you know, the worst happened and needed to live off of that for a period of time. By this I'm assuming she mean't "In case of the end of times/world wide famine in which food will be unavailable and I will have to survive of the very basics to sustain myself."

I guess we just differ in the way we decide stockpiling is to be used. For me, I feel like it should be something to use whenever times are a little rough and should be constantly used/added to/replenished. Sister though, seems to have this idea of keeping a large supply of the very basics, storing them for long perioids of time, and then replacing them whenever the items expire, but not using them unless "the big one hits!"

I guess I just found it amusing to see how two people view the same thing quite differently. Obviously combining the two ways of thinking is the best case scenario to have (rotational stockpile used often in addition to the emergency food storage supplies) but it's interesting to see where one places the higher priority on where to start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've always been one to load up on items when they are on sale, not to prepare for some impending economic disaster, but to make my dollar go the farthest.
    That being said, I admit I have been guilty of picking up an extra bag or two of beans or rice and the store latley with the thought of "what if?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I have a couple of reasons. If it's on sale and I have coupons for it and it's an item we use often then why not use the $1 coupon and sale price for something I would probably be using within a month's time anyway. I rotate every six months or so, I'm always watching when I by something that the exp date goes a year or close to that so I don't have to go into it that much.

I also do it because of our location, we are many, many miles out of town and for what prices are for gas I would hate to drive because I need a bag of chocolate chips to make cookies for my daughters, etc. This is the same reason I have a nice box with greeting cards I have picked up (all occasions) so if there is an upcoming birthday and I forgot to pick up a card when I was out shopping or I need to send a sympathy card, then I have them here, just fill it out and throw it out in the mailbox for the postman to take to town.

Also because we are rural and live somewhere where the winters can be very bad, I do it for the fact of being able to even get into town. A few years ago, we got a huge blizzard when they only predicted four inches (no reason to take a trip to the grocery store for extras), our road was not even plowed out for five days. Thank goodness for the couple of candy bars I hid in my own special stockpile

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The singular purpose of my stockpile is to save me money. I pay attention to the sale rotations in my local stores and when something I use goes on sale for the lowest possible price I try to buy enough to sustain me until the item will go on sale again. I don't plan for an impending disaster because if that were to happen I am not the type of person who would ever turn a hungry person away so my stockpile would dwindle quickly anyway. For me the stockpile is just a tool of frugality, nothing else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile to save money, I hate paying full price for anything. With that being said, we are a one income family. My husband's job is not recession proof. The company did promote my husband this week, though it is hard to be happy about that because 3 of his work buddies were laid off. Part of his new job was to decide who would go. I currently could feed us for approx. 2 months with what is on hand and would like to increase that to atleast 6 months. While adding to emergency fund.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have, I guess, three reasons. In order of importance/awareness:

1. To save money. Prices probably aren't heading south any time soon, so anything I buy today, even not on sale items, are probably going to be less than they will be in two or three months, or at least no more. But sales are, of course, the primary mode of stocking.

2. To be prepared if I'm housebound. A couple of years ago, without warning, I got a cancer diagnosis, which meant major surgery followed by chemo. A lot of non-driving time. Every trip to the store I had to rely on someone else to go or take me. That really went against my stubbornly independent grain. I will not be caught without a substantial stock of basic again if I can help it.

3. To have it if there is financial crisis. I consider it an important part of my emergency fund.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile to save money and incase my husband misses work and I don't have the money for a couple of weeks. Although I don't think what your sister is thinking is bad at this time. The main thing is you have to use your stockpile and rotate it out every year or so depending on what it is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have just started stockpiling myself, and my main reason is because I like being able to look around the kitchen and decide to make something to eat, and NOT have to run to the store because I don't have this or that ingredient.

I also like the idea of not having to depend on the whims of the marketplace, but being able to buy items when they are on sale, because I have some in stock already and don't have to pay premium for it.

In the back of my mind, I guess I am also trying to be prepared in case of emergency, but my idea of emergency is more natural disaster than "end of the world".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have started cooking more and more from scratch in doing that it is much cheaper for me to buy in bulk and have a fully stocked pantry. I buy things on sale, in bulk and use coupons so that the inflation that is hitting the products and stores I use haven't affected me as much. I like being able to save , shop from home and make whatever I want. As well as winter months are a breeze in making things and not going out.

It also is a great household fund for me , and has saved me in times of need over the years or if I wanted to concentrate on paying for something and not buying groceries at that time.

I could go on but these are my main reasons...
    Last edited by HappyMama; 10-10-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I mainly stockpile to save money. Buy items when they are on sale so I don't have to pay full price for them. I usually get enough to hold me over until they go on sale again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To save time and money. I stock up with coupons and match with sales. I have not bought toothpaste, body wash, razors, laundry soap, shaving cream, and lots of other items in almost a year. So while prices are going up on these items I'm not worried.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stockpile for many reasons. It helps us out when we're having trouble with making up our minds about meals. It also helps us in that while we still spend the same amount on groceries, we have plenty of things to get us by in case we don't get to the store that week. I don't worry about the economy because Canada is expected to skirt a recession but not fall into one. The banking system here is the most sound in the world, our province has a surplus of cash, and my husband's line of work is pretty secure. I know people may say, "Oh but what if this happened?". However, I have faith in both the government here and in our family that we will not fall in the same pithole that alot of families are trying to get out of.

A stockpile for us means that we won't go hungry, even if we have to eat only carrots or onions or pasta for a while. I find that by having empty cabinets, we were actually under more stress than we are now. Our cabinets are full and we're able to cut back on our grocery budget if need be.

I stockpile to have peace of mind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by englishcottage1 View Post
    I guess I have a couple of reasons. If it's on sale and I have coupons for it and it's an item we use often then why not use the $1 coupon and sale price for something I would probably be using within a month's time anyway. I rotate every six months or so, I'm always watching when I by something that the exp date goes a year or close to that so I don't have to go into it that much.

I also do it because of our location, we are many, many miles out of town and for what prices are for gas I would hate to drive because I need a bag of chocolate chips to make cookies for my daughters, etc. This is the same reason I have a nice box with greeting cards I have picked up (all occasions) so if there is an upcoming birthday and I forgot to pick up a card when I was out shopping or I need to send a sympathy card, then I have them here, just fill it out and throw it out in the mailbox for the postman to take to town.

Also because we are rural and live somewhere where the winters can be very bad, I do it for the fact of being able to even get into town. A few years ago, we got a huge blizzard when they only predicted four inches (no reason to take a trip to the grocery store for extras), our road was not even plowed out for five days. Thank goodness for the couple of candy bars I hid in my own special stockpile
    Ditto Me also!! But with this economic downturn it also has given me a feeling of security
    Last edited by Janbee; 10-11-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    I stockpile to have peace of mind.
    & saving money are my reasons for stockpiling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by elphie View Post
    The singular purpose of my stockpile is to save me money. I pay attention to the sale rotations in my local stores and when something I use goes on sale for the lowest possible price I try to buy enough to sustain me until the item will go on sale again. I don't plan for an impending disaster because if that were to happen I am not the type of person who would ever turn a hungry person away so my stockpile would dwindle quickly anyway. For me the stockpile is just a tool of frugality, nothing else.
    This is why I do it as well. If it is non perishable, I only buy it when it is at least 50% off. I have an area in my basement set aside for my stockpile, at it saves me oodles of money. I don't think I've paid full price for personal care items like deodorant, soap, hair dye - or paper products like TP, and napkins , for several years

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast