Moving your stockpile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Moving your stockpile

Hi everyone! So here is my deal. In 5 weeks my family and I are moving cross country (2000 miles give or take) We've known about the move for about 2 months. We will also be adding a new baby to the mix in 6 days! So our available cashflow is going to get tight very soon as our living expenses will be increasing once we move as well. So here is my delima(sp?), We've been working thru our stockpile so we don't have to move it, but I'm having second thoughts about that. It's going to be harder to add to it once we move so my thinking is to keep stocking things that are light weight and would move well (ie. rice, pasta, pastic containers of condiments, etc) and just kill off the stuff in our deep freeze and things we no longer want to stock (ie canned goods, meal helpers, junk food). So my question is have you moved your stockpile before? How did you decide what goes with you? And if you've started over from scratch did you do anything different? How did you prioritize (sp?)? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not too sure what to do (and pregnancy brain is not helping much either, lol) Thanks for any advice!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you moving where you will be far from stores? If not I'd just use up what I could and restock slowly later. I would keep all my spices, they travel well. My biggest tip... I would make lists of what you usually have in your cupboards and make some simple menus up too. Have the stuff to make those simple menu items to hold you a few days and place the ingredients in a well marked box. Having that list will give you something to do now and give you some peace of mind on what needs to be bought later. Some are more important than others and you can mark them as such so you don't feel overwhelmed having to get so much all at once.
    I love lists and they make me feel more in control, hope they help you too.
    Good luck with all your changes, you know how to do it up big! Congrats on it all and don't worry, somehow it all will get done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too am moving though not 2000 miles but I have a medium stock pile and I was thinking giving some away but like the OP I've decided to keep it due to money and it will be easier to add to it as I go so at least I have some extra just in case.Thanks for the post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Make that 3 moving. I'm not moving to awful far. Just about 1/3 as big a space. But taking every last piece with me that is not used under normal conditions. I will also still do sales if they are good to replenish or add to if necessary. I AM trying to use most of the freezers. There won't be room for what we have now.
    Like Scooby, I'm staying prepared cause I know it's only going to get worse.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok I guess I'm the odd man out here but I would *not* move my stockpile...**unless** it would be items, such as you already mentioned, that could be moved easily.

Boxes, pouches, lighter weight stuff...I would even move my personal care items...but as for moving cases of cans??? Myself personally would not bother with them, unless you do have adequate space in the moving truck, then by all means move everything you've stockpiled.

We moved 3 states away a few years ago and while I did not have a significant stockpile, thankfully we had time to use up most of what we had, I did move several totes full of personal care items. If I had it to do over again? I would do it the same way, move what you can and donate the rest.
    As for the canned food items I mentioned above? I've noticed that I can usually find pretty good sales throughout the year on canned food items so you should be able to replace those pretty quickly.

(On a side note) Through a few years of trial & error, I would not stock a significant amount of canned tomato products, I've found that they absorb a metal taste to them which in turn makes them unsuitable to use. I even tried mixing some of them into soups and such and no matter what I did, the taste was still there.

Good Luck to you on you're move!!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We moved out of state last year, and yes, we moved the stockpile. Actually, we tried to use up as much as possible, especially of the frozen stuff. But we still had stuff to move. We looked at the cost of moving the stockpile, versus restocking. For us, it was better to move it. And get this: when we moved, we still had a sizeable amount left on a Kroger giftcard (and there is no Kroger in our new area). So our last moving day also included a shopping spree to use up the card, and we moved all of that, too!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First off let me say thank you for the feedback. I think I'm gonna keep stockpiling "light" stuff but kill off everything else.

Darlene - funny you should mention lists, I'm a list maniac! lol It's nice to see I'm not the only one who finds them helpful.

cheles2kids - we stopped stocking canned goods last year for many reasons but mostly because we got into home canning. I'll take home canned tomatoes over store bought anyday. Your siggy says you're in middle TN. By chance are you near Franklin? (It's south of Nashville) That's where we are moving to. If you are I'd love to ask you a few questions about local grocery stores.

Goodluck to everyone else getting ready to move, if anyone is heading to Phoenix AZ let me know, as I'm sure I'll have some items to give away once moving day gets here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would move everything and anything I could. There are so many expenses when you first get into the house that I would think that the stockpile would be very helpful for those first few weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't think I had so much food to move I have 60 pounds of sugar I'm set for life it's amazing how much stuff a person can accumulate over the years I'm finding stuff I did not know I had this should be interesting packing this stockpile. But as I have posted before I know I will be out of work for may be 2 weeks, so need my whole stock pile . How is every one else doing ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hanging in and mine is still going with me. Still using out of the freezers tho. Worry about that when the time comes. I'm going to try to maintain what I have and suffer the "dealing with" moving it then also.. I would rather have it when the unknown hits than not.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband and I moved two days ago. We used up absolutely everything we could. The last month before the move we were spending around 1-2 euros per week on food, the rest was from the pantry! The only things I ended up moving were things like spices and herbs, teas, and "the ends" of things (the little bit of flour that wasn't enough to make bread from, etc). Absolutely everything of a refrig/frozen/fresh variety was eaten before we left.

Moving is already such an enormous hassle and pain in the butt. It's true that you will have to spend money to build up your stockpile BUT that is money you will save NOW by USING your stockpile. Unless you are moving to an area that is much more expensive than where you are now, I vote to use it up.

You always think you have less than you do. We thought we could fit everything; in the end we still had to pay extra to send freight. The more you use up now, the cheaper the move will be, and the less you will spend on food now. It depends on HOW you do the move, but if you rent a moving truck, you could conceivably rent a smaller one and save money that way. If you're using a moving company, I'm not sure what the savings would be (I've never done that). We moved using our own car, so space was at a premium. My rule was: will I have to buy it again? If yes, I moved it. If no, I gave it away.

If you're going to have a newborn, using up the stockpile could be just what you need to avoid having to go shopping (just an extra hassle you don't really need). In my mind "I have a newborn baby and I'm moving across the country in a few weeks" is one reason why we have stockpiles in the first place.

Good luck with the move and best wishes for a healthy delivery + baby + recovery!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went through this same dilemma in 2008 when we moved from Nebraska to North Carolina. We did end up moving about 2 plastic tubs of food/pantry/stockpile items with us but only because we had the room. As far as the refrigerated/frozen goods were concerned, I decided to have a going away bbq for all of our friends to see us one last time and we cooked EVERYTHING from the freezer. A real treat for our friends: salmon, shrimp, deer brats, burgers, all sorts of home-frozen veggies and I made some other side dishes/salads from other items to lighten the load. We had a lot of fun with this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've not had to actually face this situation, but...I think if I was, I would decide to move my stockpile with me. There's a lot of time and money invested in it...

Moving can be quite expensive...if you had your stockpile, you wouldn't need to buy much in the way of groceries for a while...not counting you'll need a little time to get acclimated to the area, stores, sales, and rotation of sales in the stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about using up as much of the stockpile you have now and putting away the money you would be spending to add to it. Check the internet to see what types of stores are close by. If you find some good low cost grocery stores then you know you will be able to find good deals with the money you saved.

Any stockpile still leftover gets packed up and goes with you.

Are you paying movers or is a company paying for it. If a company is paying for it then, heck just keep stockpiling. lol

I packed up my stockpile instead of eating all before I moved. Just happens I only moved to another court in the same complex.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We started months in advance and used it up. I spent next to nothing on groceries leading up to the move, which meant more money in the bank for moving. I'm glad I didn't attempt to move it, as the movers charge by the pound on long distance moves and it cost a fortune already. Not to mention the packing, the endless hours of packing.

We had a bin of condiments/spices/sauces and I had a container of sugar and flour left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast