Does anyone stockpile for children who don't live at home?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone stockpile for children who don't live at home?

Ok I have a question for fellow stockpilers/preppers. I was wondering does anyone stockpile/prep for children who have left the nest but still stock up on things in case they fly back to the nest in the event of an emergency etc??? If so, you do you stock up a yrs worth of food/supplies for each child who has left the nest or just a few months worth?? Or do you not stockpile anything for them and just focus on you and/or spouse and let the young un's fend for themselves now that they are on their own?

I want to stockpile for my 3 sons, even if they don't return home in the event of some sort of emergency that way if they do, at least i'm prepared...And if they don't return home, that's ok too, the stuff will still get used and/or donated to local shelters/foodbank etc.

My boys are still young, 22, 20 and 18. At what age do we as parents who happen to be stockpilers/preppers do we say to ourselves, ok they (our kids) are old enough to fend for themselves come hell or high water? lol My sons don't stockpile, they understand it but they are in the mindset of 'yeah thats a great idea, hey who wants to go play pool now?" I'm hoping they eventually marry nice girls who like to be frugal and stockpile too lol
    I know that in a time of need, i would never turn my children away especially if came to sharing food, water, etc with them. They are 'adults' now but still boys, still kids who are just learning to fend for themselves.

Anyone experience this b4? Would love to hear what other folks think
    P.S
    Also doesn't necessarily have to be only one's children but aging parents as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorta. I am still stockpiling for Ds who just left for college. We are giving him $25. a week play allowance and providing hygiene/first aid and some snacks when he stops home.
    He has a bike but no car and is 7 hours away so i loaded him up w/ stuff thru at least Thanksgiving and maybe xmas.
    I am considering donating food that only he eats so it won't expire-still thinking on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mom cans and drys things all the time. Grew up in a farming community and as soon as she was back after 22 year hiatus, she started a garden and started preserving things again. She will can things for us and send them home with us when we visit. She has taken "orders" as to what we would like and then we pay her the cost of the bottles and lids, she'll do up a batch or two for us.

She certainly doesn't have enough to feed all seven of us and our families (3 married with children), but she helps out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What items would you have to stockpile specifically for them? Do they eat things that are drastically different to what you eat? If they do return home, they have to eat what you offer. You are not a grocery store nor a short order cook. (though I'm sure you'd be somewhat accommodating )

Having said that, I wouldn't not stockpile a few extra items for them but definitely not a years worth. More then you'd normally stock for a care package but not so much that you're stockpiling as if they're still living under your roof. A happy medium, so that when they do come to visit, they can pick up a few things w/o depleting your supply.

The only hard part is knowing whether or not they're going to count on you to continually support them grocerily. (yes I made up that word )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love the new word Libby! lol I don't want them to become dependent thinking I'll always bail them out etc. Care packages are a great idea, it's still a little something something without breaking the bank. That being said, I've always said in event of any kind of major disaster to try to get their butts home (i'd die of worry not knowing if they were ok or had enough or were struggling to eat and I had no way to help them or send food to them etc - its for my own peace of mind lol). But I wouldn't necessarily want them living at home for a whole year either lol. I'm thinking I'd store a few months extra for food (they eat whatever and aren't fussy but they eat lots) and some hba supplies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like Frugalwarrior my son is going away to school. I do stockpile some of the foods he eats (that can be stockpiled) since he is on a very strict diet. When he comes home at Christmas and for the summer, I already have a good supply for him and I don't have to run out and buy the items. If they are getting close to the expiration date, we just eat the food or if it is Christmas break, I send it back with him for those all night study sessions.

I wouldn't have a years worth for him but enough to last a couple of months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son lives and goes to college about 30 minutes away. I don't necessarily stockpile extra especially for him, but he knows if it is in the closet, he is welcomed to it. About the only thing I do keep extra for him is lemonade, other than that he says they are okay on food etc most of the time. He also has two roomates.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile enough to help them out if they should need it. In the case of an extreme situation, they would be given an equal share of everything we have. I couldn't, nor would, ever turn my child away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 24 yr. old dd moved out a few months ago. I keep a few extras of things I know she likes for when she is here with us and that she can take home with her when she leaves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would never leave anyone in my family to fend for themselves. Whether I specifically stock up on items for them or not, I would not close my doors to them. Our family, both extended and immediate, is the type of family that looks out for everyone, takes care of each other and leaves no one out to dry. If that means moving everyone into one home, so be it. I cannot remember a Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Mom's Day or Dad's Day that we didn't have at least one neighbor, friend or church member eating with us because they did not have a place to go or family to spend the day with.

My house and whatever is in my house is open and available to anyone who may need it.

I do stock up on certain items for certain people. DD likes a certain shaving cream, DS likes a certain body wash, DH likes a certain toothpaste, etc...Even though DD is living 88 miles away at college, I continue to buy special things just for her. I buy certain things for my parents, my best friend and her family, too. I have no babies, but stock up on diapers for my best friend's one year old son. Every few weeks I send her and her hubby a few bags of groceries, diapers, cooked meals, school supplies, etc...She is fighting stage 4 breast cancer, lung, brain and liver cancer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep...for my Son.
    I combine my coupons with good sales, usually at the Drug stores, then I will fill gift bags with his goodies, usually about $150 value...when birthdays and Christmas roll around...I've already got his gift. So far, he loves this...he really likes the "good stuff" but refuses to pay premium price for it, and is either too lazy or preoccupied to 'work the deals'...It's a win-win situation for both of us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have 2 daughters in college. I do buy stuff for them. Like hygienge and cleaning, laundry items. The older daughter has an apartment so I help her with paper products also.

My younger son I save coupons for him and his wife that they have told me they use.

My oldest son when he is in combat areas we send him care packages. I buy his daughters the school uniforms they need each year because I work at a company that makes them. It saves alot of money by me purchasing them. I spend about $75 a year for 2 girls.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I always have extra in my cupboards and freezer. DD has had to shop from my house many times to feed her family of 4. They work hard but just can't make it these days. I know how I struggled and went hungry and I do not want food to be an issue for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i am very very very new to this. I have already discussed it with
    my daughter and new son in law. I will be stockpiling for them as well. Now......what to do to begin is a whole other story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would say yes.

Maybe until our kids are married/co habitating with families of their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast