starting a stockpile???
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default starting a stockpile???

I am looking into starting a stockpile for my family but I don't know where to start. What are your best suggestions to a newbie to stockpiling???? Thanks so much!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Start with what your family uses, and stock up when you find it on sale, or even better, when you can combine coupons with the sale. Stock what you use, and use what you stock! It makes no sense to stock 50 lbs. of flour if you never do any baking, for instance. If your family uses a jar of peanut butter every other week (26 jars a year), then stock up on that.

I stock not only food, but laundry soap, hand soap, shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. Most of these are puchased on sale with coupons. Sometimes these "non-food" items can be obtained for pennies on the dollar, or free.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would start by making a list of the foods your family enjoys and what is shelf stable, then every time you go to the store you grab 1 or 2 extra of those items as your budget can afford.

Purchasing a new food that they may not like but is at a good price works only if you buy 1 of the item because if you buy 5 of them and your family won't eat it.... it won't help.

Rotating your growing stockpile is key to keeping things from going past the dates or spoiling before you use it. So finding a place to store your items where you can easily put the new items in the back as you pull from the front is very important. (I have my canned items in a dry sink and it drives me nuts to try and squeeze the new additions to the back- I just don't have a better space for it yet.)

If you coupon and as your stockpile grows, you will find that you can combine the coupons with a good sale and save even more money. You won't need to make purchases of your favorite items that are not the most convenient.

You'll find the system that works best for you and keep in mind that different things work for different folks. Some here at the Village purchase cases of items once a year for their stockpile and only need to purchase the fresh items when needed. There are so many different tips that others here can offer.

Have fun watching your stockpile grow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would start by making a list of the foods your family enjoys and what is shelf stable, then every time you go to the store you grab 1 or 2 extra of those items as your budget can afford.
    I started mine by picking up extras when they were on sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will sometimes pick up a case of something when we are at Sam's club, but only IF the price per item is lower than the grocery store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eat what you store and store what you eat. Keep everything on a rotation systems of oldest pulled the the front and newest stocked in the back so nothing ever goes bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MNmammaof2 View Post
    What are your best suggestions to a newbie to stockpiling????
    Start with things that store well..............and that you use a lot of...............IE: TP!!!!

But it will also depend on the SPACE you have........so this has to be real "individual" for each person.

IE: I don't store 'much' meat as I need my freezer space for my gardening items and 'some sort' of meat is always on sale.
    Although I will hit a butter sale with vigor..........as I see the prices going up and up and up!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is a good time of year to be starting. A lot of things will be on sale around Thanksgiving and Christmas, including some things that, at least here, virtually never go on sale at any other time. Things that come to mind are cranberry sauce and gravies. If you bake, it's also a good time to stockpile those needs.

If you have any leeway in the budget you might consider setting some aside for those times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    If you bake, it's also a good time to stockpile those needs.

If you have any leeway in the budget you might consider setting some aside for those times.
    Yep............and this is when I also think ahead to next summers
    canning........and stock up on sugar............and butter will
    'sometimes' get down to a livable price and I stocked up last year to carry me through without having to pay the higher price.

Butter freezes great...........and have used it past the exp. date with no problems at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stock-pile what ever is on sale and I have coupon for. Sometimes it is meat, another time it can be toothpaste...usually buy 20 at time. This last a lo-ong time in my house. It takes time to have a nice stockpile but it does build up before you know it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One good thing to do at first is to pay attention to prices and sale cycles. So you will know when to stock up and pay the lowest prices possible. You can freeze many things (butter, yeast, shredded cheese, flour, etc...)

This week I am stocking up on butter @ $2.00 per # because that is rock bottom here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy in bulk at Costco(if it's cheaper). Food and HBA. They mail you coupons too! I stock up on canned goods when there is a really good sale. A few was 34 cents a couple weeks ago, so I bought the limit 12 of each. If it's not a good deal, I don't buy extra and just get what I need to get me through the next payday.

It also helps if you set a certain amount for 'stockup' in your grocery budget and try to stick with it. I look at the sale papers that are mailed every week and you start to learn the sale cycles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use coupons with sales and stock up on those items. For things I still need as I stock, I make sure to buy very little and opt for the cheapest one (usually generic). Be sure to do a binder for your coupons, and use the internet to search deals. A lot of bloggers have already done the coupon matchups for you and it will save a lot of time and you will do pretty well! The easiest search is to type in the name of the store, the word deal or matchup, and then the date the store starts it sale. For example: CVS matchups 10/16.

Also, get familiar with your local Drugstore that offers rewards. Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS all do this. CVS is my fave. With couponing I have managed in 6 months to get a stockpile of a years worth of shampoo, 6 months of laundry detergent, 1 year of toothpaste, lots of candy, razors, floss, and body wash mostly for free.

Know the shelf life of items you buy and consider how much you would use. Don't overbuy something that will go to waste. If you have enough of something and it is free, go ahead and purchase to give as a donation to your local food pantry. They are really hurting too in these tough economic times, less people are donating and more people are needing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i started with non-food products.

things like:

-toilet paper
    -tooth paste
    -soap
    -shampoo
    -conditioner
    -kleenex
    -shaving foam
    -laundry detergent
    -dishwashing liquid
    -dishwasher tablets
    -cleaners

then i moved on to things we a lot of that have a long shelf life.

for us this is things like:

salsa
    bbq sauce
    tomato sauce
    canned beans
    alphaghetti
    peanut butter
    salad dressing

what i learned is to check expiry dates! i bought a jar of peanut butter because it was a great sale price, got it home and discovered it was expiring the next month. not the greatest for a stockpile.