Does anyone stockpile clothing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone stockpile clothing?

I'm new to the community, and wondering whether anyone stockpiles clothing. For example, you find your favorite jeans on sale and buy several pairs that you'll wear over the next few years.

It's tough for me to find shoes, so when I find a pair that fits well, I'll buy a few.

I guess it's a little easier for guys, because we don't have to worry so much about fashions changing every few weeks. (A shirt I bought 15 years ago still looks about the same, really.)

But I kind of outsmarted myself on buying jeans last year; I picked up a few pairs, but then lost 40 pounds and now they're all way too big on me. Oh, well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, Frugal-Scott, I stockpile clothing, as well as many other basic necessities. God didn't give me 2 closets for nothing.
    My weight changes from time to time, from year to year, depending on health and mobility issues. I keep my main closet in order, and 1/2 of it is organizied with clothes that fit me now. The other half is where I keep clothes that are a little larger or a little smaller, and that need sewing alterations in order to become wearable.

My spare closet holds clothing in boxes as well as on the clothing rod. I pack basic styles of clothes in the boxes and rotate them every few years. The styles change frequently, and sooner or later, they change back to the very styles I have saved in boxes. I keep extras in that closet on the rod, and keep the sizes organized. So there's always something there that can be used, sooner or later.

I also go through both closets and move all unwearables to my scrap pile. I then repurpose them to make household items & gifts: rag rugs, crochetted baskets, quilts, shoe bags, gift bags, aprons, pot-holders, dish towels, dust-cloths, pillow-cases, etc.

So hang onto those clothes even if they are a bit too large. You can always get alterations done if necessary, and who knows when you may fit into them again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do for my husband and 18 y.o. son who lives at home. It's harder to find their clothes and shoes at a good price, so when I do, I try to stock up. This is especially handy with the teenager who never bothers to tell me he's going to need clothes replaced until they are completely worn out and he has nothing to wear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do a bit. I try to buy the next two sizes in clothes for my boys. I can get nice brand name clothing at garage sales and our local Bookoo. Since it's a big military community, there are tons of kiddos here.

I don't stockpile for me and DH- when we buy clothes, I wait until good quality clothes go on sale. The good quality clothes keep shape,color and last a long time.

I do accept any old BDU's from people. I figure they're good for DH to go hunting/paintball when we return stateside

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh yea. I stockpile clothes and such. Anytime I find boots ( work,hiking,combat) for a good price, I buy them. I could outfit a squad ha ha.
    I have the camo pants that are too small for me packed away. Also some jeans. I have enough socks for the two of us for many years to come. It helps that we live near a sock factory and they have a sale every year ( one year it was 8 pairs for a dollar!). I've been working on flannel shirts. I have only a handful so far. T-shirts in earth tones is something else I'm working on. Coats, hats, gloves I've been collecting for some time. Everything from fleece to wool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is actually one of the things I have been thinking about lately and have started on.
    Here's my ideas!
    I would stock up on undies when they go on sale
    Ditto socks
    I found 3 pairs of shoes at my local Savers two weeks ago that fit me looked nice and they were 1/2 price so I bought all 3!
    I make lots of gloves,hats,scarves and slippers!
    God bless,
    Helen(grammea)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hadn't thought about it before. When I shop for clothes I have a hard time even finding ONE item that fits me in my size and preferred color/style I couldn't imagine stockpiling multiples. For example, when I bought jeans this summer, there were 3 pair in the entire store in one of the two brands I prefer for comfort and quality, in my size, and of those only two fit me (one was cut slightly too small). There was ONE package of underwear, and no bras in my size/style. I won't just grab a different kind because I'm particular about fabric content and fit, what touches my body and where and if it rubs or pinches.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sort of. I bought a LOT of underwear in the US because it's cheaper there and I have one particular kind that I prefer. I have close to 100 pairs of undies!! I don't keep them stored away, I have them all (!) in my underwear drawer, but since they only each get worn a few times a year, I expect them to last pretty much the rest of my life!

I also have a huge number of socks and probably won't need to buy any for at least 10 years, because they are worn so few times/year.

As for actual clothing, I have very very little clothing. Not to shock anybody, but I own 4 pairs of pants that fit and 1 pair that doesn't (hopefully it will though someday!). I'd like to have more but I don't really need them. I also have only 5 long sleeved tops (two shirts, two sweatshirts, and one sweater) but I have a ton of sleeveless tops that I often layer on in the winter.

I'd like to have more clothes but it's not a budget priority for me this year so probably will keep things as-is for the next few years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I still stockpile on socks and underwear. I will set aside a package to use when I determine it is time to get rid of some socks or underwear. It definately feels good to know you have some fresh underwear to go to and not have to purchase them and worry about a sale.

Right now I have a collection of shoes. And yes, my size is hard to find so if I come across a pair of shoes on sale and they are my size and fit I will purchase them as long as I have the money or could use them.

Right now I try to wait until the clearance sales to purchase new clothing. I have so many clothes I really do not need anything new. Am keeping my fingers crossed that in January I can find some pants/jeans on sale like I did last year. If I can find a good clearance sale I will probably purchase a couple pairs as long as they fit since many of the jeans I currently own are to big.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I do at the end of season I buy flip flops now for next year, shorts, tank tops, t shirts, new on clerance, good will, jeans for hubby , long johns for everyone, dress shoes buy 1 get 1 1/2 off. Sheets, towels, wash clothes, bought Halloween potholders form 50 cents it is a pot holder does it matter. I think a lot people do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My use to have to order her shoes from Nordstroms because she wore a size 3 in high heels. Back then there were around $60 a pair so when they would go on sale she would buy several. This was in the 80's My mom was only 4'9 and when she passed away last year her shoe size was a 1 1/2 and she went to 4'7 .

I buy all my stuff at thrifts and garage sales. But will stock up on clothing items if i know im running low on jeans ect. Right now im in the in between sizes of things. I lose weight then start a new med and gain 10 pounds so i love having back ups.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes and no, meaning if I find a crazy good deal on something I'll buy a lot of it. Like when I found socks for 4/$1 I bought 30 pair. I'll wear them till they wear out and then buy more. And we recently found $70 sneakers on sale for $16.97. My oldest son now has 3 pair, so a year and a half from now he'll need new sneakers. What you won't see me do is buy enough clothes to last for the next 50 years. I wouldn't have a clue where to go with it. So if it's a can't walk away from deal that works for my family than yes, but for the sake of just having, no.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also buy after season & yard/garage sale clothes, so if I can find a great steal for kid's clothes, I'll buy a size or 2 too large to grow into.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do for the kids... more so DS at this point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes. I have a lot of basic things. Bras,underwear,tanks,tshirts,turtlenecks,flannel shirts.
    Usually items that clearanced low. I got DH plus sized pj bottoms in flannel for $5. so I got a doz.
    I used to have a full year wardrobe for the kids ahead sorted in tubs. And yes if i find comfortable tennis shoes 2 or 3 pairs.
    kmart had plus sized sweaters for $3. so I got 2 in every color I liked. And 2 for DD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast