*WHY* do you stockpile? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to stock up a bit, too, when I see really good deals. I posted something yesterday for people in this area that shop at Market Street. Whole chickens 68 cents/lb, red potatoes I think were 47 cents per pound. I plan to go buy this week and get some of each. At walmart today, I looked - red potatoes were 87 cents/pound. I can usually find good sale items on certain things, but it's more the everyday bread and butter types of stuff that are rarely on sale and increasing in price. Honestly, for me, it's not that huge of an issue and if I really worked at it, I could feed myself for probably $15-20/week. But I really don't see how families with 3-4 growing kids are doing it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Never mind the rumors, prices ARE going up. I stock up when stuff we eat is on sale so I don't have to pay the higher 'normal' retail price. I buy chicken breasts when they are 99c a pound, often 10 or 12 pounds at a time. That's a $20-25 savings off retail right there. When english muffins are 2/$3 I buy as many packs as I can stuff in the freezer. It's roughly a 60% savings. I do the same with butter. And before the price of peanut butter skyrocketed I stocked up on 99c jars.

Simply put, it's foolish to pay retail for something tomorrow, when you can buy it on sale today.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Other than getting more for less I also stockpile out of necessity. Am on a very limited budget. So I need to make every penny count. It also helps to free up money so I can go to the thriftstore, get my hair done, or save for something. There is a great deal of security knowing there is food and hba in the house. Also do not have a car so getting to the different stores is more difficult. Luckily I get a ride once a week to the grocery store and the plaza also has a dollar tree and a few other stores. But it does not have a pet store so I always make sure I have a pet stockpile ready for the winter. Big heavy packages are not fun to move in ice and snow. The ride to the grocery store does not come when it is a holiday so I always need to plan ahead.

When buying produce I always make sure to purchase produce that is still firm or I need to let ripen in a brown bag. This seems to help make the produce I purchase last longer. During the winter I tend to eat more frozen and canned produce. Apples, oranges, pinneapple and anise seem to last longer if I keep them in the refrigerator.

It is also dangerous walking in the street when there is snow and ice on the ground. Being short becomes more scary when you notice that the front grill on a lot of automobiles especially trucks come up to you head. Am really NOT looking forward to this coming winter. Right now I can look out the window and see blue sky and the tree is still green. I can pretend it is still summer. lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    Fruit isn't a problem for me since I only eat bananas for the most part and occasional applesauce. It's the lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers...that sort of stuff. I'm doing better with the celery and green onions after hearing everyone's ideas on another thread (and I'm currently growing some green onions!). Cucumber. Bought one a few days ago, went to make a salad last night and it was shriveled up already. 78 cents down the tube.

Here is a tip for lettuce to keep it fresh. When you get home from the store, wash it and then wrap the head in paper towels and store in a gallon ziploc bag. Keeps it fresh pretty well

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The sale ads here have been pathetic lately.... so when I find a good deal I feel like I need to grab it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

in addition to saving money, having most things handy, etc., it's like a game to me...gotta beat the system type of thing. I do not want to pay full price for anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SHP, I guess that's the main attraction for me, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So for those of you that don't like to shop, what do you do about fresh produce? For the life of me, I can't get produce to last longer than a few days and still taste decent.
    We do weekly runs for perishables. If I'm the one doing the running, I'll usually pop into the store after I've dropped off DH at work or before I pick him up. If it's dad - he has his lil runs 2x-4x/wk.

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    I also have a few things I wouldn't stockpile again. If I want them I'll get them but not to stockpile.
    Out of curiosity - what won't you buy to stockpile again? Are you will to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Simply put, it's foolish to pay retail for something tomorrow, when you can buy it on sale today.
    Exactly!!

-------------

I just bought the remainder of this year and half of next year's coffee supply. My dad looked at me like I had 12 heads and each one of them was on fire. DH & I prefer a specific organic coffee. Its pricey. There's a sale going on which knocks $5 off the price. Even then, my dad still claimed it was too expensive. The sale price is still $3 cheaper/lb at this sale price then it is when buying directly from the brand itself. Its hard to find a sale on our coffee and when I do, this is what I do. Now I don't have to think about coffee for a year. And the expiry date is way out near the end of 2013 so its not going to 'spoil'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post

Out of curiosity - what won't you buy to stockpile again? Are you will to share?
    Sure....canned clams. Found it on sale and ordered coupons off Ebay. Have CANS AND CANS of it. Hubby lost interest in it and I can't stand the smell

Hamburger Helper in all but a couple flavors. We don't have it often but maybe once a month and we like the 2. I bought flavors that have never been fixed.

That's 2....sure there's a couple more but can't think of them right now. I guess mainly stuff that isn't a normal/common meal. A once in awhile thing I'd rather buy at the time.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've stocked piled things we haven't liked or just haven't used up fast enough. Now I try to go with items I know we will use or pantry staples (pasta, veggies, etc...)

I bought a huge bag of rice at Costco that I'm not all that crazy about (who new rice could have different tastes). Still have 2 gallon sized ziploc bags we have to work thru

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exactly. Haven't used fast enough. That's another. I had so much pasta sauce I've had to throw some, not a lot, away. I'm not an expiration date person but the color changed and I didn't trust it. I should have used more often or not had so much. As I restock/replenish this time I'll do so smarter.
    Also will work on more taxable items and the more expensive stuff like Splenda, coffee, coffee creamer etc
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started stockpiling because I chose to stay home with kids and my dh has a seasonal job. And a great way to save lots and lots of money is to shop the loss leaders. We have 3 different chain stores withing 1/4 mile of each other. I also love having ingredients on hand for almost anything I want to make w/o having to go to the store. in summer I can enjoy my backyard and my pool and when the weather is freezing I can stay home in the warm house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some items if I find we don't care for them I will donate or if I over-bought. Just took 2 bags to the food bank last week of items that we won't get thru before they expire. I try to stay on top of the dates but sometimes they sneak up on you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    I started stockpiling because I chose to stay home with kids and my dh has a seasonal job. And a great way to save lots and lots of money is to shop the loss leaders. We have 3 different chain stores withing 1/4 mile of each other.
    Same here. I have 3 grocery stores and a rite aid within a mile of my house. Makes it easy to hit the loss leaders.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So for those of you that don't like to shop, what do you do about fresh produce? For the life of me, I can't get produce to last longer than a few days and still taste decent.
    Your heat will probably have a different affect on the produce............but...........I will go without for a few days......that is why I will keep 'some' canned stuff on hand...........canned veggies--only some kinds and I cook with some----------but canned fruit for sure.

My main thing is milk..........I will go to the store when I am out of milk.......and if the ads are crappy........or I don't need much.........that is the only time I go. I buy produce then........I am a huge fruit eater so I stalk up..............this time of year, most everything keeps.........apples, oranges, pears, 'nanas..........until I run out of milk again.

If I buy something that I know to have a 'limited life'-----avocados, kiwi, peaches (like I did this week)............those are eaten first.

As for the veggies........yeah, cukes are tough to keep-----I don't buy them often (grow them in the summer)-------

but onions keep, green onions--I wrap in a paper towel-------wrap celery in paper towel, then in foil------radishes are cleaned and go in a bag.....peppers keep pretty good, and if I see I am going to 'maybe' lose them........I will cut them up and freeze them----this summer I did the same with any berries if I figured I wouldn't get to them before they went bad.............so I have berries in my freezer now........will use them in muffins this winter.......or smoothies. Lettuce will keep..........and cabbage will keep for a long time!! Carrots keep.........spuds keep............

What produce are you talking about SB49?

I probably go to the store about every 7 to 10 days...........I use more milk in the winter so probably every 7 days...........in the summer it could be 10 days.
    I don't freeze milk..........so have to get to the store when out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast