*WHY* do you stockpile? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Things are expensive here, so I stockpile to save money. Example: Canned tomatoes are about $1/for a small can, last December they went on sale for about $.50. I use a lot of canned tomatoes, so I bought several cases and I still have not seen them for that price, and I still have not run out.

I also stockpile because some items are difficult to find here... certain varieties of dried beans, short grain brown rice, tempeh, tofu, veggie burgers, vital wheat gluten, etc. So when I see those things, I buy as much as I can store/use before they go out of date.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

frugalfranny, the green onions are no longer an issue, thank goodness! I've frozen a bunch annndddd.......the green onions I'm growing in a cup of water have zoomed! I'm going to have more green onions than I know what to do with. I'm doing better with lettuce since using the salad spinner. And celery. I'm going to grow some celery next time I buy a fresh stalk. That helps. But the things like cucumbers, bell peppers, squashes, tomatoes don't last more than just a few days. Some of that can be frozen, I know, but some things I want fresh for salads.

Example. Just a few days ago I bought 2 Roma tomatoes. About 2 days later, I went to get one out of the bag and one of them had "popped" or something and was a rotten mess. I managed to save part of one. I had left them out on the counter because they don't taste good if refrigerated.

Anyway, back to stockpiling...it's more of a cost savings thing for me. That, and I'm seriously concerned we might find availability of certain food items in short supply. Now if I had my little freezer...but we've already had that discussion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My main reason for stockpiling is that I hate shopping in a store. I can spend hours on the outdoor market, but the supermarket has me feeling sick in no-time. If we save money in the process, that's a nice bonus, but not always the main reason for stockpiling. The fact that I have the ingredients on hand to make whatever I fancy, and even to try and make new recipes, is also a nice bonus.

I like to go 'shopping' in my stockpile, where everything is arranged according to my logic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to make what we want when we want, too. We rarely run out of anything, and if we do, there are plenty of other options. However, to me that's not a stockpile, it's just inventory, part of a well-run household. Maybe I just have a different definition of food staples than a lot of people, I don't know. I know I have one entire pull-out shelf in a two-foot wide cabinet devoted to baking supplies, and that does not include any savory herbs/spices or large containers like flour, plus two more drawers and several trays in the pantry with additional seasonings, extracts, and various flavorings, plus all the canned goods, and then a five-foot counter with sugar and various flours. It's just the way I was raised.

I hear about people who have to shop for food every day and I just can't fathom that, although I realize there are cultural differences that tie into some of those things. But to me, a stockpile is something someone prepping for the zombie apocalypse would have. I'm not waiting for the world to end, just running my house.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up in semantics again.

SueBee, I don't leave tomatoes in a bag. I have them in a bowl on the counter so they can breathe. That seems to help them last longer. I've noticed ours seem to be going bad sooner than they used to, too. It makes my suspicious mind wonder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, I think you and I have similar ideas on our definition of stockpiling. However, unlike you, I am somewhat concerned about serious food shortages. Not necessarily an apocalypse, but more like unavailability. That, combined with rising prices, makes me want to store as much as I can.

Even this morning on the news...did you hear this:

"Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta warned Thursday that the United States was facing the possibility of a “cyber-Pearl Harbor” and was increasingly vulnerable to foreign computer hackers who could dismantle the nation’s power grid, transportation system, financial networks and government."

That type of stuff scares the dickens out of me. Probably it shouldn't as there isn't a thing I can do about it, but still...if it did happen, can you imagine what it would do to food availability and/or prices?

Oh! Forget it! I'm going to the store to get me some more bags of dried beans!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did not see that but I do worry a little about some of these things. Look at what hackers did with Wikileaks. If they can get access for that stuff, they can get access to anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    But the things like cucumbers, bell peppers, squashes, tomatoes don't last more than just a few days. Some of that can be frozen, I know, but some things I want fresh for salads.

Example. Just a few days ago I bought 2 Roma tomatoes. About 2 days later, I went to get one out of the bag and one of them had "popped" or something and was a rotten mess. .
    Again...........the heat factor is there with your stuff...possibly.....but......do you have some sort of 'inside wall' or a 'cooler shelf' or closet to keep some of the produce? I leave very little produce in the plastic bags once I get them home. I put green onions back in the bag with a P. towel around them. And I do refrig. my cukes.............they keep longer......but it isn't rec. I never refrig. my tomatoes..........or my squash. No answer for the cukes.... that really is a help........they are 'short termers'....and I only buy one at a time. ALSO.........even on your counter......KEEP THEM OUT OF THE SUN!!! Put them in a dark corner somewhere..............the peppers will keep much longer than the cukes! Might I suggest radish in your next salad instead of cukes???

As for worrying about the 'world to end'.............not really.......I read a lot and try to stay on top of the news----especially the world economy and Iran--right now............but I can't get an ulcer about it. I am not going to fill my house with food based on the "what might happen"..............it might NOT happen too...........then I am stuck with a bunch of OLD FOOD!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my mommy stockpiled and I always have.....It is easier to buy things when on sale and put up for future use....I hate going to the store in bad weather.. I hate going to the store period...

I would much rather make 1 large trip to buy groceries than go every week..I probably go every 3 -4 weeks when a killer sale is on..I buy milk, bread, lunch meat, and produce as needed every week...and usually buy what produce is on sale this week cabbage is 39. cents a lb, sweet potatoes are .79 cents so will incorprate that and whatever else is on sale in the menu.....

I buy snacks still when on sale only and make more than I use too..

I really think I could not feed my family if I did not stockpile....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile for a number of reasons. Probably first is it saves a lot of $'s. I hate to shop so stocking up saves me having to go to the store. I live in a small town and the local grocery store's prices are 3 x's Aldis. I can drive 25 miles once a month and shop at Aldis, Fareway, HyVee and Walmart. Since dh has doctor's appointments a couple times a month my grocery trip is free. I can also go to the thrift shops, library etc. while I'm out. I also consider possible emergency situations. It might be personal such as illness, financial i.e. stony broke, weather -- we have blizzards, ice storms, tornadoes etc. that can leave us stranded.

The economy of the entire country (if not world) is on very shakey ground at the moment and should there be a crisis of any sort, I don't want to have to leave my home and stand in line for food or God forbid fight for food. I'd sure miss fresh milk, eggs, fruit and veggies, but we could survive for months on what we have in our pantry and freezer even if it would not be ideal. Rice and beans or beans and rice for dinner? Actually, we wouldn't be reduced to beans and rice but fortunately we both like them if we were!

Last time I opened a 4# bag of sugar it was one I paid 79¢ for ages ago. I used to stock up during the holidays on sugar and other items that are used as major loss leaders at that time of year. I'd buy enough to get thru the next year while it was on sale. Since dh was diagnosed as diabetic I've quit making jam and seldom do cakes or cookies so I've still got a good store of that 79¢ sugar. This week's newspaper ads had 4# of sugar on sale for $1.99.

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My BF teases me that I'm a food hoarder.

Honestly - the main reason I stockpile is because at one point in my life I didn't know where the next meal was going to come from. More than one night I went to bed hungry - but my daughter had food to eat. I swore that I would NEVER live like that again. So I started stocking food every chance I got. With the way the economic situation in this country and the world is right now makes me even more determined that if I lose my job or ???? I will be able to eat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_tiger_36 View Post
    My BF teases me that I'm a food hoarder.
    My MOTHER used to say that to me---in a little diff. way---having gone through part of the depression she would say "if I didn't know better, I would say you had lived through the depression!"

I never countered with anything as at this point when she said this, as they hadn't known that I had been homeless for a couple months with "their grandchild". (but friends had helped me)..........nor did they know that I had, at one point, had to put her BACK ON FORMULA as that is all I had.....and "their grandchild" had the sh*t* for three days because of it...............but she was a farm wife........and always canned.......so part of it I learned from her.......it just wasn't "canning" that I was doing.

the other part is what Anna43 said: "I hate to shop so stocking up saves me having to go to the store."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have just begun to stockpile recently myself. I usually hit the BOGO at the grocery store especially pasta,pasta sauces and Hba's. I also have a bunch of canned soups and a some snacks put up. I am just not sure exactly how much to stockpile?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Like the two cases of evaporated milk I got for .25 a can over summer, or the tens pounds of bacon we got earlier this year for $1.50/pound.
    I'm so happy you mentioned bacon! A while back I was able to find Oscar Mayer for under $2/lb with a coupon, and there were plenty of coupons available... so I bought about 10 lbs... my niece cracked up when she saw it in my freezer... I organized and did inventory on Friday and found we were down to the last two packages, between what we used ourselves and what I sent to my sister's house. (She's widowed raising 3 kids with a fourth adult-child living with her... bacons a pretty huge luxury for them) Right now the Gwaltney brand goes under $2/lb with coupon, but clearly I'm not the only one to notice that, as I had seven coupons and could only find 4 packages on the shelf when I was there... anyway, glad to hear I'm not the only bacon-hoarder out there! (Actually, the bacon-panic-false-alarm two weeks ago actually caught DH's attention enough that he ASKED me to buy a bunch of bacon, so he wouldn't have to go without)

Quote Originally Posted by SwirlyThing View Post
    I stockpile because I was raised Mormon. I'm not Mormon anymore, and haven't been for years, but some of the conditioning is difficult to get rid of. I was raised to believe that the end of the world was coming any day, and that you needed a year supply of food on hand for when society collapsed.
    Ok, this is an honest question and not meant to offend anyone... I'm aware of the Mormon belief that there will be a great famine in the end times... but why would you *want* to survive that? Isn't it better to pass away quickly and then be brought back with the rest of the saints once all the trouble is over?

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I buy chicken breasts when they are 99c a pound. And before the price of peanut butter skyrocketed I stocked up on 99c jars.

I covet your sale prices. We *NEVER* see prices like that around here. I have commissary priveleges and our "normal" price is $1.84/lb for chicken breasts... of base $1.99 is a sale price!

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I just bought the remainder of this year and half of next year's coffee supply. My dad looked at me like I had 12 heads and each one of them was on fire. .
    My husband was adopted, I wonder if he and your DH coudl be long-lost brothers? Mine has that same "woman are you MAD???" look

Quote Originally Posted by brennasmom View Post
    Same here. I have 3 grocery stores and a rite aid within a mile of my house. Makes it easy to hit the loss leaders.
    I watch the off-base grocery ads a lot, and I don't see as many loss-leaders as I used to. So sad...

Quote Originally Posted by shelly123 View Post
    I have just begun to stockpile recently myself. I usually hit the BOGO at the grocery store especially pasta,pasta sauces and Hba's. I also have a bunch of canned soups and a some snacks put up. I am just not sure exactly how much to stockpile?
    It depends on how much room you have and what your "reason" is...which is what I was curious about, which is why I started the thread. Obviously the "doomsday" types want as much as possible of everything possible... then there are the folks who have their religious reasons, those who just want to hedge against higher prices or job uncertainty... so depending on your motivation is what your "how much" answer will be. I think for most of us (those not planning to live underground for decades after a blast) the answer is "as much as you can comfortably store without going over your budget now and that you can use before safety becomes an issue"-- as many folks have mentioned already, sell-bys or use-bys are sometimes not a big issue, sometimes they are. I have about six cans of pears I bought for $.50/can a couple weeks ago... they expire this month, and we will probably not use them up before next month... but we will use them, and I'm pretty sure they won't turn toxic overnight...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, so here's a "sub-question" for those of you who mentioned that prices are a primary factor for you...

Do you find yourself bothered when you have to pay full price for something you usually stock up on on sale?

Example-- I have a diet cola vice, and while I've yet to find a generic I can tolerate, I tend to buy whatever "big" brand is on sale for $.99/2-litre as often as I see it, as much as the "maximum" is. So with $.99/bottle as my base-price, it really irks me when I run out and have to pay more than that. KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile to save $. I try to buy enough on sale to last until the next good sale. We recently had $1 lb chicken. I filled the small freezer.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast