*WHY* do you stockpile? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Zhoen, yes, it does bother me to have to pay full price for certain things because I know they will be on sale in a few days or weeks. That applies mainly to meats in my case.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It bothers me also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me, too, and a lot of times I'll just wait to buy something till I see a good sale. Or at least a sale of some kind. Usually I have other options and it pushes me to use things I should use up.

The bacon in question was in a ten-pound package. It was ends and pieces, but really tasty. I re-packaged it with the FoodSaver. We don't use a lot of bacon so now, about a year later, we still have about four pounds. I've bought a few packages of slices during that time to make grilled stuffed peppers wrapped in bacon, because the ends and pieces aren't long enough to wrap around the peppers, so that's helped the cheaper stuff last this long, too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, it bothers me. Our health food store has a 15% off day once a month. If I miss it I get really annoyed with myself. I'll often do without until the next month, if at all possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

@[email protected]
    I think I have the same definition of stockpiling as you do; we could eat off our stockpile for about 2-3 months now, including canned fruit & veg, and shelf-stable milk. I'm just happy that this stockpile is both a safety net during a disaster as well as allows me to go shopping irregularly. I scan the supermarket flyers religiously and when the combined sales offer enough discount, I go for a major shopping tour. It's not worth my life energy and time to go more often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live in a small town with small stores, so we can get through both grocery stores in a half hour or less, if my husband doesn't get hung up talking football with a couple of the employees at the one place and if we don't get started talking about the price of meat and panic buying with the owner of the other. So we don't mind grocery shopping. We go every week, even if we don't need much of anything, and in spite of the fact my husband works in town and could easily pick things up so we wouldn't have to go at all. I'm home all the time, and it's worth it to me to blow a gallon of gas to get out of my box once in a while. Of course I could take the truck and go whenever I wanted to, but I rarely do. It's more fun to go with my husband, so I wait till he's off work.

It's interesting reading about how differently we all view the same activity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes it bothers me when I have to pay full price....evaporated milk last time I bought it was 49 cents a can on sale now it is a dollar on sale..tomatoes was 49 cents a can on sale it is a dollar now..tuna the last time I bought a lot was 19 cents a can now it is 87 on sale.....

I need these 3 items stocked for winter.. I also stockpile comforts foods ..cake mixes, popcorn, chips, pop..it is hard being cooped up with out a little something....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
    Do you find yourself bothered when you have to pay full price for something you usually stock up on on sale?

?
    Yes, generally...........my exceptions are milk and eggs--and bread, sometimes,.............I don't freeze milk so will go to the store that is "usually" cheaper........don't wait for a milk sale as they are far and few between here. As for eggs.......if I run out before the next egg sale, I will only buy one carton...whereas on sale, I buy more---don't freeze those either. I do freeze bread---a little bit---but our bread here usually stays 'decent $' for the 'good stuff' (that is ALMOST ANYTHING other than plain white or plain wheat!)---so I will just buy it.

Most other things.........I will simply change the menu...substitute something else.....leave it out....skip it.......whatever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our Albertsons puts 3 "doubler" coupons in the Sunday paper on occasion. I figured I would grab DH a couple cans of chili for his upcoming hunting trip. A can of hormel chili was $2.69 Does that seem crazy to anyone else? Anyway, I used my doublers to get it for .69 per can. That is why I stockpile

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Part of mine is to save money. Part is because I've made it through a layoff before on just what was in the kitchen, so I understand how important having some food put aside can be. Part is to fit in with my homesteading goal. I can't grow all that I want to on my city lot, but I stock my pantry to live season to season in the same manner. It also helps in budgeting a lot. I've gone 3 months at a time before only spending $10 or so in groceries a month for fresh dairy. That way I can throw extra money into savings when I have a large expense or project coming up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stockpile because there is no feeling in the world knowing that I have security in having enough to feed my family for a long time.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am beginning a stockpile now that I finally have my new house organized and have the space. My first goal is to make sure I have enough on hand to last two weeks in the event of a catastrophic act of nature. Where I live there is a risk of major earthquakes similar to the one that caused the tsunami in Japan last year, there is a huge volcano not too far away, and also a big snowstorm can shut the city down since we have limited equipment to deal with it.

After that I want to have several months on hand to take advantage of sales and save money overall, and see me through in the event of job loss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a great way to start! That is what I did - stock up for a hurricane and then grew my stockpile slowly and steadily from there.

Quote Originally Posted by melodys View Post
    I am beginning a stockpile now that I finally have my new house organized and have the space. My first goal is to make sure I have enough on hand to last two weeks in the event of a catastrophic act of nature. Where I live there is a risk of major earthquakes similar to the one that caused the tsunami in Japan last year, there is a huge volcano not too far away, and also a big snowstorm can shut the city down since we have limited equipment to deal with it.

After that I want to have several months on hand to take advantage of sales and save money overall, and see me through in the event of job loss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned to stockpile from my mom. She learned it from her mom. The starting reasons were because they lived out in the country, harsh winters, and they didn't go to the city very often. I grew up in the city but my mom still stockpiled, this time to save money when things went on sale she would stock up. It just became natural for me. Then when I was 19 I moved to a small town in the country and it became a necessity again because we were an hour from the nearest city. I got a taste of what my mom went through when she grew up in the country, you had to plan and stock up and the winters were pretty harsh compared to my mild California days! Now I live "in town" and have access to Walmart and grocery stores just one mile away but I'm still stockpiling for saving money, convenience of shopping in my own house instead of at a store so often. Its just natural for me, although my "stockpile" is NOTHING compared to the ones I have heard described here, so please don't think I'm at any superb level. Its just the basics of what I tend to eat and cook with, larger amounts of tp and paper towels, and one time last year I ate off my stockpile for two months. I didn't HAVE to but I kind of wanted to see if I could and I threw that grocery money at my snowball just for a jumpstart rewarding feeling. I've since built it up with food on sale again over the months, its kind of fun to deplete it here and there and build it back up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stock pile for a ton of reasons. Grew up on the Gulf Coast and after a hurricane you aren't sure when stores will be back up and running etc. We try to have enough on hand for ourselves and extended family. Moved to the midwest and had several lay offs and then a few medical crisis. It is reassuring to have enough food and such on hand to get through a few months without stress. Sort of an emergency fund in food form.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast