*WHY* do you stockpile? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    Zhoen, yes, it does bother me to have to pay full price for certain things because I know they will be on sale in a few days or weeks. That applies mainly to meats in my case.
    Same here. And from the news it sounds like meat prices will be increasing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost bought a quart of apple cider today. Saw the price and thought no way will wait until it goes on sale. Then was wondering if there was an apple shortage. Guess there might be. But, the grocery store was selling underwear for 50% off. So stocked up on that. The cashier was very patient with me since the bin had all different types and sizes of underwear and it was confusing how they had the stickers stating the price. She scanned the items so I could double check the price.

Am so used to purchasing items on sale that when I see the "normal" price I get really astounded by the amount. Even at regular stores I will see an item and think oh I can get the same thing at the thriftstore for $4.00. Which in a way is sad but I only have x amount in dollars and would rather see it stretched as far as purchasing power.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile because I want to know that if there is ever an emergency, my family won't go without food or water. I just began working on my stockpile, but I have been able to store 75 pounds of food for just $100 and will be growing this stockpile in the oncoming months. Currently this consists of 25 pounds of organic black beans, 25 pounds of organic rolled oats, and 25 pounds of organic pearled barley. Next I'll be getting garbanzo beans, brown rice, and one more thing...possibly lentils. I was able to store the 75 pounds of beans in food grade zippered mylar bags in buckets with oxygen packets, and also was able to buy a piece of wood to set on top of the buckets (I bought an extra 2 buckets so I have four sets of buckets that are two high...) to makeshift a dining room table for ourselves because we haven't had one since moving into our place here last year.

I have stored fresh reverse osmosis water and will continue to add to that as well. I have a solar cooker, and knowledge of campfires, etc so that even in a dire emergency we should be fine for a while...and not even have to say goodbye to our healthy organic foods way of life.

In this I also have stored our certified organic heirloom garden seeds so that when the time of year is right we can plant fresh vegetables, which can be started indoors with our small indoor greenhouse

EDIT:
    I should also add that we have a dehydrator and have many dehydrated fruits and vegetables as well as canned stuff

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We stockpile for a number of reasons and a lot mentioned here.

The first reason we started stockpiling was we were newly married and Both got laid off from our jobs. We had just bought a house, had a toddler, and got a new car.We managed, but I never want to have to ration food to my child again. Never!

Second is my hubby worked for jobs that would lay him off, and that would save us during those tight times.

Now I stockpile for those reasons, and also as a security blanket. Nothing makes me feel safer than looking at a full freezer and full shelves.

I want to work up a years stockpile for a family of 5, mainly with things I've canned from my garden. We'll see how that goes. I wouldn't want over a year.
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted once before a long time ago in this thread and since it's brought up again I'll say for the same reasons as before. When times are hard it's one thing you don't have to worry so much about or at least it's PRETTY much taken care of.
    We're looking at some hard times coming up this year. They're already getting tougher and I don't know how bad they're going to be. He can draw full Social Security at 66 this coming August which will ease up some for us...but making it another 4 to 5 months is going to be rough. I've not had to spend a lot this year so far using out of it but at some point I'll have to replenish a lot of it. HBA/paper/laundry is almost gone. Thank God it was there
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stockpile because I fear that I will suddenly lose my job and have no money to buy food.

There were many times that I went to bed hungry just to be sure my children had enough. I never want that to happen again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't stockpile in the usual sense of buying things on sale but we do grow huge gardens and can, freeze and dehydrate the produce. We also buy in bulk from local orchards and from a co-op. We live 25 miles from town where we shop. Mom and I only go once a month. We both dislike shopping so we avoid is as much as possible.

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    I stockpile because I fear that I will suddenly lose my job and have no money to buy food.

There were many times that I went to bed hungry just to be sure my children had enough. I never want that to happen again.
    Me too....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post

Me too...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I manly stock pile now because I don't like to go to the store...If I want to fix something I want it here..Also I try 2 buy only what is on sale...Now that I have a good supply I keep a running list when I get low on something I put it on the list and buy when it is on sale this way..to restock..I usually can hold out until it goes on sale and then I always buy more than one..I do try 2 shop on Mondays at this one store because they always have a good bit of meat on managers special at less than 1/2 the regular price and some of it is meat that is on sale anyway..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned about the Pantry Principle from the Tightwad Gazette. It made perfect sense to stock up on food that we like to eat when it is at a rock bottom loss leader sale price, hoping to get enough to get us through until it goes on loss leader sale again. So I peruse the sale ads each week and stock up on loss leader sale items that we can use. If we run out of something before it goes on sale again we go without or just buy 1 or 2 to get us by.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy for buying 4 flats of such-and-such food item, but them 6 months later I'm running out of that item hoping it will be on sale again soon so I can get more at that price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    I manly stock pile now because I don't like to go to the store...If I want to fix something I want it here..
    Me too. And if I have to go to the store to get something before I can fix it.............it won't get cooked.

I have my stockpile built up enough now that I can skip going to a store if I want...........and that is nice. If the store only has one or two items on sale, and I am running errands, it is easy to say I will wait.......... (course within reason)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Simply put, to save money. Whey else?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For all of the same reasons mentioned above me. It is more economical, in may ways, but also because.... my mother did it and my grandmothers did it. And because of that I never remember having to be hungry. We may not have been eating haute cuisine, but we were never hungry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile in case of a major disaster. I do not want to worry about eating in a major crisis or natural disaster!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast