*WHY* do you stockpile? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So we have things on hand in emergencies. We have hurricane season here. The stores are IMPOSSIBLE to shop at right before a storm. Also, I hate grocery shopping lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
    So here's my question.... why do you stockpile, and how low would you let your supply go if you were
    going to use the grocery money saved towards bills (and probably restock later, because it's just such a nice feeling to have it there, just in case)
    The main stockpiling reason for me is the threat of disaster (pandemic, terrorist attack, riots, etc) which are not far-fetched. I guess all it takes is something to disrupt the food chain (production or delivery), and people will be panicking to the grocery store - it wouldn't take long to have shelves emptied. Also, if there is trouble happening out there (riots), it is better to stay off the streets as much as possible.

I buy a lot of food items that we can eat on ordinary days so they can be used before expiration dates (and are replenished). Rule of thumb for me, if I use it - it has to be replaced, pronto! I do have ready-to-eat items.

Start by buying a can of soup for each member of your family- if there are 4 of you, get 4 - and place them right away in your stockpile location.
    I'd also get a large box of crackers with that. And if you can, grab a large tub of peanut butter, too. And a couple of pork and beans!
    That makes a good start - probably 2 days' worth of food right there.
    Get bottled water, or bottle your own (there are sites that show you how).
    Make sure you check the best-before-date on items you buy. Make sure you buy what your family will eat.
    They should be good for more than a year. I don't buy items that will expire in less than a year.
    Try to build up 2 weeks worth of ready-to-eat food supply.

A lot of items you already probably use regularly like quick-cooking oats, tuna, peanut butter, flour etc..,

Try to make a list of items that you would need (medication, baby/pet food, first aid, supplement vitamins, candles/matches (wrap in plastic), hygiene products, etc..,) etc..,

I'm trying to find a better system myself. I'm tempted to put a week's supply of food in a large plastic container (stackable) with earliest best-before-date listed so I can easily spot what needs to be used up and replenished. I'm aiming for 12-weeks supply....apparently that's what UN recommend to their employees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have always kept a small stockpile but I have been getting a larger one going as of late. The reasons are two fold. First, I am worried about the economy. Second, I need to be stocked up in case my husband gets sick and looses time from work. But whatever comes along I want to be prepared.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A few reasons-
    - emergencies, be they man-made or natural. With grocery stores keeping very little 'extra' out back, it's wise to be able to be self-sufficient for as long as you can. Any major disruption in our food distribution chain and there will be trouble. And there's a lot of things that have the capacity to disrupt. We had a major ice storm here 5 or so years ago, and while we were just fine, we had friends who were forced to 'brave it' on the roads shortly after the storm because they had almost no food in the house as they had planned to shop in the next day or two and nothing 'extra' on hand.
    -it's financially savvy. Buying things you need in large quantities when there's a deal to be had means spending less over all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile non-food items. The reason I do is that I hate shopping. I usually go to Walmart and buy a year's supply of things like tooth paste, tp, paper towels, deodorant, and so on. I clean my own house so I stockpile cleaning supplies and have 2-3 years of all that, purely for convenience sake.

On a funny note one trip to Walmart caused quite a stir when I had all these packages of tp on the counter. The clerk asked me WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH ALL THAT TOILET PAPER? I just sort of grinned. What could I say?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Reviving a old thread..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No one wants to add to this thread?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I to stockpile as i live in the mountians and our winters can be bad so you just learn as i do with candles,lamp oil,i am on prepared girl,just added more kleenex and toilet paper 1.00 for kleenex and also foil for 1.00 and another box of powered milk for 2.00.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a small stockpile, and I do so for emergencies and to take advantage of large sales of items I know I will purchase eventually anyway. Doesn't make sense to pay later for something I can get for barely nothing now.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to repost on this. I still have a good stock of everything so that I don't have to buy at full price. I even work at the store that I shop in most and when we are going to put things on sale that is a good buy I will check my list to see if I need it or not. I always have enough food to go 3 months except bread and milk. I do keep some canned milk just incase of bad weather.. I still keep a running list of things that we use a lot of and keep it stocked at each sale..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great old thread.
    I have always stocked up on the things I use when they are on sale. I never used the term stockpile until I came to Frugal Village.
    It's nice to know I pay rock bottom prices, plus it is so handy to keep things available. I have a tendency to stock up in the winter, because I spend a lot of time outside once warm weather comes. I am trying to raise & preserve more fruits & veggies myself. I also am prepping more freezer meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been a couponer since I was 18, so almost 30 years. I've never been able to stand spending full price for anything, unless I have to. I love the fact that I can go to my stockpile and pull out a bottle of detergent, or shampoo, or box of cereal or whatever and know I paid pennies on the dollar for it. I love to stockpile, I appreciate the fact that I have the space and can stockpile. I feel better knowing if there is a weather emergency, or an economy emergency that I have a stockpile to fall back on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my stockpiling has gone thru stages. When i was first a young mom my kids got ear infections in the winter and the youngest respiratory viruses. So I would buy a few so i could go out less. As they grew and ate more i upped the couponing and storing esp. as they became teens. Then when my Ds left for collage and then the army I let the stockpile go way down esp. as couponing changed. Now w/ Dh and the surgery/jobless double whammy i stocked in hard. We are well set.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I "stock pile" to a small degree. According to what is on sale that I use. Its just me to I don't need to stockpile much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use to stockpile BIG TIME.....with my job there was always someone needing food and it was easy for me to just pull from my stockpile...now that I am retired, I don't run into these people so my stockpile is down......I do not buy anything unless it's on sale and I have a coupon....that will never change.....I could probably feed the two of us for three or four months....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast