*WHY* do you stockpile? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is an oldie but a goodie so I thought it deserved a bump...

I stockpile because my DH was laid off from 3 different jobs between 2002 and 2010. Knowing that we have enough food allows us to stretch our money further in situations like that and focus on keeping a roof over our heads and the lights on.

With the current flooding in the plains, I expect pork, beef, and grains to increase in price. When I stop and think about how far reaching the effects of that may be, it makes me double down on my efforts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

to save money with sales and to have some food on hand. a nice variety too. why buy things full price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Chrissy. Before the crisis, we had 2 refrigerators and I had a card table that I would put items on. I would haphazardly buy items that were loss leaders as well as items we used routinely. When DH lost jobs and also landed in the hospital, any food in storage was used. My low wage job couldn't handle most bills and food is an expense with teens. So it was truly a life saver.

We have an extra freezer but all frozen items are getting used since we have not had rental income in months and I cut my job hours in half. So, I'm using whatever we have and buying stuff sparingly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do not usually participate in the stockpile threads since I am kind of a stock pile light. I do not have years worth of food or anything like that. It is mostly just buying extra of stuff when it is on sale. Also sometimes we get deals on things we can only get in bulk.

We could probably get by for month, maybe two depending in an emergency. It would depend on how picky we were. The stockpile is not really balanced since most of our fruits and veggies we get fresh or frozen. The exception is applesauce and tomato sauce.

For weather/natural disaster related things, the longest we have not been able to get to the store was 2 1/2 weeks. For financial rough times I have generally supplement the food on hand with some fresh fruit and veggies. But that was mostly because we had some money saved.

I will admit their is a psychological need as well. I just feel more secure having a little food saved up.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To avoid unnecessary runs to town, to have work lunches at the ready (stock pile high-end tinned tuna and salmon when it is on supersale), and perhaps as a reaction to times when I was so poor in college that I couldn't afford to or didn't know how to stock pile. I think with a 40$ a month food budget my senior year, I really couldn't stock pile much. Stole napkins for TP...perhaps that was early (and borderline unethical) stockpiling.

I also stock pileso I have food to share if someone seems to need some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile when things are on sale. Why pay full price? As I've gotten older, I don't really like going to the store anymore. I get tired and sometimes it's just not safe out there. I've left a parking lot because something has felt off. But mostly to save money. It's nice to have a stockpile and someone asks if we can make XXXXXX and I just have to run down to the stockpile and get it. I know dh and I could live off our stockpile for quite a while if we had to. We don't have as much as we used to, since it just the two of us now and the variety is different. I only stockpile what we would eat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Same as in my other posts early on in thread. Difference is now he hit SS 5 years ago now and I signed up in March...6 months early. I worked on adding to stockpile for several months previous cause plan was to get out of the business when I, myself, hit SS age. Business got bad again last year and come March we decided to go ahead and me sign up. My SS check is half what my income was the first part of last year but more for last several months. Business sucked. So I worked $Generals $5 off $25 and Publix and Dixies BOGO's to the best advantages I could. I figured anything I had stocked and not have to buy till next sale was to our advantage.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6