*WHY* do you stockpile?
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default *WHY* do you stockpile?

If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure that aside from milk, sandwich bread, and fresh fruit/veg, we could live out of our pantry right now out past New Years...
    oh, and if the chickens stop laying for the winter, we might have to buy eggs...

For me, part of it is the rumors of prices going up, part of it is I found good deals, part of it was I was on convalescent leave and had nothing
    better to do with my time than stalk the good deals...

Now here I am , back to work, looking to pay down debt and seriously considering just NOT buying groceries for a while... just because there's
    not much more room for them (nice problem to have) and I could put that money to other use... but then I worry that there will be unrest surrounding the
    elections/sequestration/tax changes/etc not necessarily an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it situation... but some type of disruption of supplies in
    some areas.

In the past, when things felt different, I used to stop shopping in November at the latest and run out all of our supplies before New Years. Anything that was
    left from the old year went to the foodbank. It was sort of a spiritual thing--the old year had provided more blessings than we could use, so we passed
    them on, making room for new blessings to enter our lives. It was also a chance to make sure nothing expired and to wipe the shelves really clean...

I don't feel so comfortable with that these days. So here's my question.... why do you stockpile, and how low would you let your supply go if you were
    going to use the grocery money saved towards bills (and probably restock later, because it's just such a nice feeling to have it there, just in case)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even tho' my "pantry" and refrigerator/freezer is apartment size, I think I could rather easily survive a couple of months except for the typical eggs, milk, bread, produce stuff. It wouldn't always be eating what I want, or as much as I want (that would not be a bad thing), but I wouldn't go hungry. Feeding the dog would be an issue. I have about a months supply of turkey/chicken for him and would have to get his other stuff - sweet potatoes, veggies.

The primary reason I've tried stocking up on as many canned goods and non-perishables as possible is because of the rising prices. Each and every time I walk into the grocery store, I'm seeing price increases on almost everything I purchase. Just the other day, I sat here and figured if you buy 50 items a week on average (and I don't think that is unreasonable for most families) with a $0.10 increase in each item...52 weeks a year...that's $260.00 increase per year. Factoring in increased prices for rents, utilities, insurance, gas and a million other things, everyone is probably taking a rather significant "cut in pay" just to maintain and in some cases, maintain an even lower standard of living.

The little bit that I've managed to save by stockpiling what I can won't be very significant in the end, but it somehow makes me feel a bit better

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stockpile mostly because we live in the boonies and getting to the store for just a few items is not practical. . . plus in the winter we have snow/ice storms that make travel impossible.

DD and I both have food allergies/intolerances - so if I find things we can have at a good price I'll stock up to keep from paying higher prices.

Plus I grew up and still live on a farm where stockpiling is the norm - you put up the harvest to last until the next harvest, plus some in case next year is lean.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile b/c I like being able to 'shop' at home in my jammies. The fact that there is a lack of annoying shoppers that abandon their cart in the middle of the aisle to walk three aisles over right in front of me is another huge reason too.

There is the obvious cost saving reasons too - sales/deals/promotions that you sometimes can't pass up. Shop once, cook thrice. No excess gas costs associated with having to pop back out to pick up one or two items. And convenience - who wants to go out at 11pm to pick up something?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sunshine wrote my post. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I did spend my early childhood on one. And when we left, my grandmother used to come and can and help mom stock up to prepare for winter when we were growing up.

Also I have multiple food intolerances/allergies, so when I see sales, I grab them!

And we live in a place that gets very cold and snowy in winter, and the city doesn't plow sidewalks. It's not safe to walk on the street with the cars. I've spent 2 weeks indoors in winter just because of weather. So I stockpile at least that much in food stuff.

But honestly, right now, we probably have anywhere from a week's to a year's worth of certain things in the house. I need to fill my freezer with meat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well. I started when the kids were small and sick I didnt have to drag them out.
    -Then I liked having ing. in the house to cook and not brave the ice and snow myself
    -now I dont like the prices and uncertainty of employment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    The fact that there is a lack of annoying shoppers that abandon their cart in the middle of the aisle to walk three aisles over right in front of me is another huge reason too.?
    Had to chuckle when I read this........... thought you had moved to my town!!!

Or how about the ones that DON'T ABANDON their carts.....and stand there talking to another 'buddy' they have run into..............look at you, see you coming, but do they move over???...............H3!! no!!!!

So......why do I stock pile??? Other than what I can 'potentially' save in food costs and gas money..........I HATE SHOPPING!!!!! hate it!!!

The snow in the winter is a minor issue as I could probably get "out" if I wanted to..............just the thought of going shopping..........UNLESS......it is a thrift shop..........or rummage sale!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile because I was raised Mormon. I'm not Mormon anymore, and haven't been for years, but some of the conditioning is difficult to get rid of. I was raised to believe that the end of the world was coming any day, and that you needed a year supply of food on hand for when society collapsed. So to be completely honest, I stockpile out of fear. Not that I believe in the Mormon version of this as the "last days" anymore intellectually, but emotionally, the fear is ingrained pretty deeply.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I still stand by my reasons regarding prices. Just got back from the store. Bought a dozen eggs...up 10 cents from less than a week ago and when I had purchased them then, they were up 10 cents. Essentially, in less than two weeks, a dozen eggs went from $1.48 to $1.68. Bread was up a nickle from last week. Few other items I bought I don't recall prior prices since it's been a while since purchased.

So for those of you that don't like to shop, what do you do about fresh produce? For the life of me, I can't get produce to last longer than a few days and still taste decent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile because I am cheap . With prices climbing I like to pay the lowest prices I can. So sometimes that means buying 10 jars of peanut butter one week and the next week it's 8 jars of pasta sauce. I like to keep a nicely stocked pantry so I am prepared.

Another main reason is I like to have staples on hand for dinner, snacks, kids lunches, etc. I hate to have to stop at the store because we have run out of something or going out to eat because I don' have the right items on hand for a meal or kids lunches.

How low would I go? That is tough to say. If it is at my "buy" price I would probably continue to stock up and maybe just set aside a certain $$ per week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wrap my celery in foil, it stays much fresher that way. . . we have a huge supply of fruits/veggies that are home canned or frozen, so if we get snowed in, etc. we still have those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For produce I always try to keep apples or pears on hand since they keep longer it seems. I also keep some frozen fruit (berries), some canned fruit (pineapple, madarine oranges) and some frozen and canned veggies. It will keep us going in a pinch

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fruit isn't a problem for me since I only eat bananas for the most part and occasional applesauce. It's the lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers...that sort of stuff. I'm doing better with the celery and green onions after hearing everyone's ideas on another thread (and I'm currently growing some green onions!). Cucumber. Bought one a few days ago, went to make a salad last night and it was shriveled up already. 78 cents down the tube.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm seeing prices going down here, at least on ad items.

Flour was .30/lb. here yesterday, after more than a year of not going below .40/lb. Honeycrisp apples were $1.89/lb. A couple weeks ago I paid $2.19 and was happy to get them at that, since they had been $5/lb. Meat prices were lower, but I didn't buy any. Eggs were lower, too. I don't know if this is the glut predicted a few weeks ago due to producers selling off herds and flocks, or what. We'll see, I suppose.

I'll confess to doing some panic buying, which, when I think about it, is stupid. There's no way to avoid rising prices and I know that intellectually, but I still smile when I pull a .99 jar of peanut butter out of the freezer. Weird of me, I know.

I stock up when I can get killer deals on items we would buy anyway, or which can save us big in some way. Like the two cases of evaporated milk I got for .25 a can over summer, or the tens pounds of bacon we got earlier this year for $1.50/pound. The milk is providing cheap snacks since we make ice cream from it, which is also healthier than ready-made ice cream. We wouldn't be buying the equivalent amount of ice cream from the store, but we would be paying for some other kind of snack if we didn't make ice cream. It's saved us many times from buying DQ Blizzards! And it sure helped us cool down during our long, hot summer with a broken AC!
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 10-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Because of prices going up and uncertain job future. I was unemployed for almost 2 years.

I want 6 months worth even if toward the end of that 6 months is a mish mash. Some stuff I have 6 months in and others I don't. Right now working on using up some of the stuff I already have so that I can replenish with newer dates. After the move I've found some of the things I have WAY out of date even for me and I'm not scary of dates. Like pasta sauce...the color wasn't right.

I also have a few things I wouldn't stockpile again. If I want them I'll get them but not to stockpile.

Every time I go to the store groceries and taxables have went up. Eventually we have to pay the jacked up prices even if it's only to stockpile against prices higher than that still. Still we're saving money in the meantime.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6