Stockpiling comfort foods
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Stockpiling comfort foods

Do you stockpile comfort foods? Beer, wine, alcohol, chocolate, candy?

I figure if we sugar and baking supplies we can always make baked goods but maybe I'm low on the sugar front.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, not at all in terms of alcohol as I don't drink. Never have cared for it. In fact, I have two beers in my fridge that have been there for over 2 years. I'm waiting for them to become antiques so I can sell them for mega-bucks.
    And I'm not big on sweets, either. A bowl of oatmeal or cereal will most often get me by on the sweet front. Maybe a fruit smoothie and the occasional ice cream binge.
    My comfort foods are more along the lines of chili's with rice, beans with rice...those sorts of things. Certain stews and certain soups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not really. I love wine and would have a glass a few times a week if I kept it in stock. I do keep flour and sugar for baking for the rest of my crew. My big must have is pumpkin. Pumpkin smoothies are one of my big comfort foods.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My stockpile of the type comfort foods you're talking about are cake mixes, brownies etc. but they don't get made that often because once the first pieces are eaten that's pretty much it. I made chocolate chip muffins last night ( a mix ) and 3 were eaten.
    My type comfort foods would be chips, cheetos etc, along those lines and they wouldn't last long enough to considered stockpiled food.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Over the last couple of years I have tried to get to the point where I cook everything from scratch. So I have all sorts of recipes for cakes, cookies, bars, etc. that evolved over time that are tasty, relatively healthy and satisfying. I stockpile ingredients for these items - chocolate, freeze dried fruit, cereals, grains, butter, coconut oil, flour, sugar, molasses, honey, etc.

We seldom buy candy or chips. I can make sweet potato chips in the oven and we like those!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought some gluten free, dairy free, soy free chocolate chips and some gluten free corn flakes. When I want some candy I will crunch up the corn flakes mix with some melted chocolate and coconut flour. Makes a quick and easy candy that I can eat. Think I will also try the corn flakes for breading.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have over the last couple of years keep alot of ingredients to make alot of different sweet's..I keep a good stockpile of wine,liquor's and some beer.I'm not a drinker really but like knowing that I do have some of my old favorites like blackberry brandy sours..yummy..I also have peanut butter cups, peppermint patties,hershey's kisses all vacuumed sealed in quart jars..I learned to keep a WIDE variety of nut's,cranraisin's,raisin's, dried cherries,chocolate chip's,white chocolate chips,peanut butter chips, orange & lemon peel,spices along with a good supply of flour,brown sugar,powered sugar,oatmeal so I can make pretty much make anything now..It took awhile for me to build up this kind of variety though..I would say I'm in pretty good shape...

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I buy cookies and candy after christmas and easter. It keeps for years in our 2nd fridge.

I do keep baking supplies on hand, but I don't really stockpile it. Flour, baking powder, dried fruit, etc don't stay all that fresh unless you vacuum seal it. I do get a 2lb bag of pecans every winter, which I keep in the fridge.

We stock up on wine once or twice a year when we go to the outlets on vacation. I don't consider it stockpiling. Mostly I cook with it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stockpiling candy? Maybe in my gut!

Nothing like that lasts for long around here. We're already almost to the end of the Halloween candy I bought on sale, with coupons, and hid in a closet... I literally have a recurring nightmare about coming home to realize that it's Halloween, I have no candy, and I can hear the kids a few doors down... (What would Freud think of that?)

I have a pretty good selection of cake mix, frosting, brownie mix in the pantry, but that's because there was a sale and also because my organizations have a way of springing the bake sales on me, so having some stuff at the house makes that suck less.