Anyone have a gift closet? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always pick up things on clearance that are good for gifts for birthdays and christmas etc. With three small children, 2 of which are in school there are birthday parties to go to monthly, and if I can get a great gift that was parhaps 20 dollars or more on clearance for 5 or whatever then thats good, I love to have them stocked so that I do not have to worry about getting to the store if they get invited to a party.

I dont have anything stocked right now only a couple of things that I picked up after christmas on clearance for the boys to give their sister for her birthday which is Jan 22.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say I plan to do this every year and every year I fail miserably. The only thing I'm good at is stocking up on wrapping paper, bows, boxes, etc.

Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definitely have a stockpile going. I have a box of "smell-goods" (lotions and body washes I get at the 75% off sale at Bath & Body Works, candles, candle holders, etc.) and a box of things that shouldn't have a smell--this one contains books, cookbooks, journals, art supplies, etc.

I pick up things at Hobby Lobby and Michaels when I come across a great sale. I also will buy a couple of cookbooks or regular books here and there if I come across a sale. They've saved me a time or two when I needed a last-minute gift but didn't have the money or time to spend on something brand new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I stockpile gifts. I usually have on hand photo frames, candles, lotions, and toys. I was able to get a lot of great deals on games and toys on Amazon before Christmas. I already have gifts for my girls for their next birthday and Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop all year and by fall I am usually done for Christmas and all my gifts are bought at 75% off unless it is something that never goes on sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great thread!! I've been doing this for ever, and boy has it saved big time!! Clearance is the way to go...I've done the 75% off gift bundles for shower gels, lotions ETC too, candles, stuffed animals, webkinz (buy 2 get 1 free), art supplies of all types, sale toys, computer games I found for $4.00 at Big Lots (normally 10-20.00 in Walmart), books and games, awesome Micro Plush throws (at Walmart yesterday for $2.00!!!), pot holders, wrapping paper, bows... ETC are all tucked away for next Christmas!! I love doing this as it saves so much money for B-days/Christmas, Katy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stockpiling gifts was one of my resolutions for 09, and I am off to a great start with some birthday presents already bought and some ornamnets that will make great gifts next Christmas! We also have a ton of Christmas cards for my DH's subscribers for next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the after Christmas and after Mother's Day clearances to restock my gift closet for the year. I typically have what others have already named above - wine, lotions, stationary, toys -

Having even 3-5 gifts at the ready - like having a stock of birthday and condolence cards - can really save you money and save your bacon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've kept a gift closet for years. It's stocked with stuff from clearance sales, mark-down aisles, and brand new things found at yard sales. Some are "generic": candles, frames, smell-goods, etc. These are those last minutes gifts that could go to just about anyone. Other gifts are specific. I find something that Sis would love and put it away. Or I find the specific game or book that Grandchild wanted, so it goes into the closet. I also keep paper, bags, bows, ribbon, tape, scissors, tags, cards, etc. in the closet. This not only saves me a bundle of money, but also saves much hassle and time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have done this for awhile too and I like doing it. I am also one who listens when friends and family talk...for instance we were making frozen drinks last summer in the blender and my sister says...I have never had a blender...I should get one!! SO I watched the sales and got her a nice one half price in September and gave it to her for Christmas! I have lots of generic things like those mentioned and a few gifts for specific people already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do this all the time when I find great buys on stuff. Last summer I bought a huge collection of new Boyd bears with the tags for $35.00 for all. I sold enough on Ebay to get my money back and the rest I have put up and been giving as gifts to great nieces, my sis and sil who collect them. I still have a few. I bought gift sets on clearance last year at Walmart and gave several of those for Christmas this year. I buy candle sets and toys too.

Right now my stash is a bit down as I used a lot for Christmas. I have some of the Boyd bears, 4 sets of Disney Princess ornaments 75% off, a John Deere tractor ornament and stocking holder 75% off, and 2 or 3 small toys left I got on Clearance during the summer at 90% off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need a better way to organize mine. In fact, I thought about an over the door shoe hanger-like organizer for stoking stuffer stuff, but I cannot trust my family to stay out of it. I like the idea of organizing gifts with a smell and without, but I also need to account for many of my after Christmas deals are VERY breakable. I like the idea of shopping after Mother's day, I NEVER thought about that! I'd like to be done before Thanksgiving this year. I usually am for the generic/could go to anyone-type gifts. But I need to get on it for birthdays and specific gifts as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile books and toys for my little nephews and books for my own children and my teen nieces. I also knit socks and mittens in various sizes, so I have plenty of them to give away as gifts during the cold months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used up my stockpile for Christmas, so off to after Christmas sales I went! I went again today to one at Pier One at 75% off! I went to the toy store that is closing, and bought all of my nieces and nephew's gifts for the year. I also bought random gifts for when my son is invited to a bday party.{ all at 50-75% off} I have gifts for my friends and SIL for the year as well! I even bought for stocking stuffers for this next Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I do this. For Christmas and birthdays. With some pre-Christmas sales on Amazon I was able to get $30-$50 gifts for $6-12 for all the niece/nephew birthdays.

I also have a box of saved Christmas gifts that DH has put away "too well" (in other words its lost somewhere in our garage or under the stairs, and we don't have *that* much stuff). So that was frustrating this year to have to buy gifts for five adult relatives I knew I had taken care of in the MIA box. So, my advice if you're starting a stockpiling gifts is keep GOOD track of them. (I still haven't found it, and it's driving me nuts. )

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast