Anyone have a gift closet? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also stockpile what I can when I can get things really cheap. I have so far lotions, picture frames, books, puzzles etc. It really helps when I need something fast and cheap!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a small stockpile of Yankee Candles that I got super cheap at their outlet. I also have hand soaps, lotion, etc from Bath and Body Works that I got during their semi-annual sale. I always struggle with guys gifts and what I can stockpile for them.

I keep a small stockpile of kids toys too. Things like books, puzzles, etc.

It always helps to keep cards made and on hand too. Speaking of which...I need to make some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last year I did have a stockpile of gifts. This year I don't think I will. Our house is going to be under construction this whole year and we just don't have the storage space yet. Hopefully next year, I will be able to set some space to stockpile gifts again. It really does save a lot of money to have gifts on hand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mommy4ever View Post
    I do for the girls. I have a stash of webkinz for whatever b'day parties that come up, usually when there's a special one I pick it up and the store I get them at has the pet of the month for $5, so I get a couple of those. They are all the rage right now. I also do small gift cards and keep a little stash of those.
    I do this for my girls as well. In years past I have hit the Target toy clearance and stock up.

I would love to know where you get webkinz for $5 around here they are $15 and sometimes they have a special bogo.
    My girls and their friends love these.

I do have gifts for the girls Easter baskets already. I have a few gifts for birthday parties and I also have my dd1's birthday gifts already (her birthday is in May).
    I will pick up 1 present a month and I will be making a bunch of presents this year for Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do this too. Whenever I see a good deal I pick it up and stash it away. Works out great especially when you don't have time to run to the store. Then of course I wrap it with stockpilced wrappings too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually, I have a box of stockpiled gifts I'm thinking of just donating to goodwill. Right now the only people I gift to are family, and their needs are quite precise (send money!). Most of the stuff I have is for little kids, and we don't exchange with anyone with little kids now. So I'm going through it and donating to charity.

[edited to add: This stockpile was built up over 13 years...hence the stuff I might have needed is no longer needed.]

Jean
    Last edited by peanut; 01-04-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop all year, as well. I am always looking for good gift items. I stay away from food-type gifts, as you don't know how fresh they will stay. I had someone give me a Hershey's gift set one year, and the marshmallows included were hard as rocks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm always keeping my eye on special deals for Christmas/Bday gifts for my kids, as well as things for their Easter baskets and little gifts for Valentines day. There really isn't much I don't stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't stockpile gifts at all. There are only a few people we gift to, and I prefer to spend my $$ on something specific for that person. I do shop around for a good deal when I get the idea of what I want, and I have a limit of how much I'm willing to spend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On occasion I will buy something thinking it would make a nice gift. My pantry is stocked pretty well so I can always make a nice food basket, i.e. pasta dinner basket, spa/bath basket, cookie basket. I did stock up on some wax tarts. I thought they would be good hostess gifts. Fortunately the people I exchange gifts with only exchange small items.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a stock pile of gifts too. For men I have ties/ socks put away. I have done alarm clocks too. this year I am actually making many things to stock pile away. I have a great start so far this year. (made 2 oven aprons, 5 towel toppers, a receiving blanket, and a crosheted dish cloth just this year alone) This has saved my behind many a time. I have already purchased a gift for a nephew for this next christmas, He loves sushi, so I picked him up a do it yourself sushi set which includes the book and the matt for rolling it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I do stockpile generic gifts. But sometimes I go overboard. For years, I had a million baby showers/gifts. So I stockpiled baby gifts. It did come in handy. But then the gifts just sat on my shelves. So I sold a lot of my gift closet stockpile in a rummage sale last year. And I'm working on not stockpiling TOO much!

Instead, I just made a list of gifts I expect to purchase in 2009. I'm going to try to stick to this list when stockpiling gifts!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to have one, but don't do it anymore. I've cut way back on our gift giving. One of the problems is that I was always giving these gifts to family and friends, and no one did the same for my family. It got me down after a few years. Now, I just keep whoever's bday I want to buy for in mind a month or so before and just look everytime I am at the store. That just works more easily for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was looking for brooches for Christmas 2008, but was unable to find any. Today, when I went to Liz Claiborne at the outlet mall, there was a table FULL of beautiful Christmas brooches! They were on sale, $5.95/brooch (from $22), so I picked up three for this year's Christmas and went up to the counter. Well, it turns out that they were having an additional offer of "buy 3, get 1 free" so I got a FOURTH brooch for free! Woo hoo!! They are all really lovely, and they will go into my "Christmas drawer" for this year. (Well, one of them might go into MY drawer....)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love having a gift closet, but it can be tricky. Over the last year I've had to sort through & weed out the items I bought for family/friends that I no longer exchange with. I tried using some items for others, but it wasn't working well. I decided to keep some of the nicest items & have sold over half of the rest (hoping to sell more this year). Planning to use the cash for some 2009 gifts, but I buying more careful if its months ahead. I do have a gift list started that should help when I shop.

I've added 2 small items since Christmas, but I hope to find more bargains over the next month. I'm thinking less candles (I give these alot), more kitchen towels, picture frames & bargain goodies I combine into gift sets. Those "gift sets" are a hit with my family!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast