Anyone have a gift closet?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone have a gift closet?

Does anyone here keep a gift closet?

I keep my eyes open all the time for things that would make good gifts for people. I keep them in a box in one of the closets. Then when we need a gift for a birthday, baby shower, etc. i already have it on hand.
    It is also good for those last minute people who stop by at the holidays with a gift for you.

Last year I took my son "shopping" in my gift box. He looked through and chose items he thought would make good Christmas presents. Then for each item he chose, he had to do extra chores around the house. It worked great. Mr. tightwad didn't have to spend any money. It kept him busy and all those little things that need to be done around the holidays were taken care of. We will definitely do that one again this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I don't have a gift closet, but I do have a gift box in the closet for my ds. I purchase many small items throughout the year and add it to the box as rewards and treats for him. Right now it contains items such as coloring books, crayons, matchbox cars, books etc.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep I have one too.

I keep stuff I have received, but don't want to keep for myself in it. I also pick up clearance stuff online and at stores, this is also kept in the closet. If I find a good sale, I will buy for my gift closet. Amazon.com had a good sale on there toys this summer and I bought most of the kids' Christmas and Birthday presents there. I also put some of my better freebies in the closet. I am going to try to go to more garage sales next year and if I find a "like new" item I will add it to my gift closet.

It makes it nice at Christmas time to just go shopping in my closet instead of at the malls.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a gift closet too. I keep my eyes open for nice on-sale things that would make good gifts and pick them up. It sure makes things easier at Christmas or when something unexpected comes up.

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My gift closet has been an on going joke with DH--a lot of we don't use that, what do we need with...until he dropped it on me late one night that he would be seeing friends who have a new baby the next day. I went to my gift closet, grabbed 5-6 bottles of baby shampoo, bath etc, three onesies, some new washclothes, some wipes and a card and made a pretty basket in less then 10 minutes. All together it was worth approx. $40, if I paid $10 it is a lot. I pick up this stuff during triple coupon time for almost nothing, when caldors and bradlees went out of business I snatched up occasion specific cards for .10 each, and onesies, socks, blankets and other unisex gifts plus my friends and I are always trading baskets, boxes and the such back and forth. I've thrown two baby showers and been to four others this year alone--this is how I can afford to keep up and stay out of debt. Today someone from work gave me a pretty tray and matching trinket box--very pretty, very tasteful-just not something I would use--but it will look great in my girlfriends bedroom, so it will be passed along.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a gift closet. I stock up on items that would make a nice gift for my boys to take to bday parties. I just recently bought a few Candyland and Memory Games for only 2.00 each. I also have several sets of sports balls and golf sets that I got on clearance at Target for only 2.00. I do need to replenish my stock of girl gifts, though. (Had some nice Barbie bath sets, but have given them all...)

I have saved a lot of money by being able to shop the closet.

Julia in Seattle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile I do!

I'm always on the lookout for bargains to stock my gift closet (actually a series of tubs and an old leather suitcases ). There is no way I can afford to go out and pay full price for gifts every time one is needed. I also live in a tiny farming community and have to drive into "town" just to shop. I currently have items ranging from baby age to retirement age! Having the gift closet enables me to pick things up at great prices and have them available when needed for birthdays, weddings, baby showers. etc.!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With 17 neices and nephews, you can bet your bottom dollar that I keep a gift closet. Right now it is empty, but will be stocking it up again as things go on clearance. I try to spend no more than $5.00 on each one for their birthdays. With clearance items and freebies this is not a problem and they don't feel deprived.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default reviving a very good post

I keep a gift closet also. Doing the same things, clearances, after xmas is my big one we take the dks friends birthday name list and purchase for everyone. I purchase extra for those unexpected b-day parties also. I agree I set a 5.00 limit on the dks friends b-day gifts making it a 10.00 or more depending on the percent off, it perfectly an acceptable gift. Send off for freebies to make gift baskets for all occasions. Shop at garage sales, flea markets, estates sales for new or next to new items that woud make perfect gifts for a particular person. Some of the people we buy for love antiques so I purchase for them also using these resources. I must confess I don't just use it for b-days, it's for any other gift giving reason to include xmas. This year freebies saved my hide when it came to filling the stockings. If possible I will shop the after holiday sales for the next years holiday, like easter, valentine's day etc and keep that in my gift closet.
    I never thought of using a gift box for rewards for my dks though, great idea. Could do this much more cheaply instead of an allowance that they would only waste on stuff they loose or after 30 mins loose interest in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have one but plan on starting one cause I am going to start making crafts and putting some away for gift giving.

My mom had always had a gift closet. Everytime she goes shopping and see's something cheap and nice she buy's it and put's it away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok well its not actually a closet! Its the top floor in our shed in 3 huge rubber maid containers(I am getting more very soon they are filling up fast) I do the freebies,regift,anything on sale that is kiddie related.(bought 2 new play cooking sets for $1 ea)I make a lot of gifts at Christmas and last year I did them all at Christmas time but I like knowing I have a place to put HM gifts if I make them early(hopefully I will).

Amanda

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes I do have one...

The main reason I have one is that my parents and brothers live overseas , so I like to always take gifts when I go visit them..so I keep an eye on good deals and bargins for them...also for family and relatives over here...

Most of the stuff that I have are stuff that I got free with coupons when I used to live in the states...am planing to make gift baskets with the stuff like creams and lotions..makeup and other stuff...

Now that i moved to Canada and am still new here I think am going to need sometime to get used to the markets over here and to hunt bargins...but the good part seems that they have lots of thrift shops..when we get set completely am planing to gine them a visit...

I also like some of the stuff at the dollar store..they seem to get few good things once in a while so I have to keep an eye on that as well...

But it sure is a great thing to have some gifts handy just incase you don't have the money for it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a gift closet, but I need to start one-right away! Jerseygirl, that is great you could get that basket together so quickly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gift stockpile-

Anyone do a gift stockpile?
    Easy things that would make great and awesome gifts for most? We do this for random gifts and Christmas gifts.

We try to do this in our home.

Right now we have:

-8 bottles of wine ( that were on clearance at our base liquor store)
    -2 pie mixes(with pie pans) - 1 cherry/1 peach -1/2 off at Home Goods
    -10 Christmas Yankee Candles that were 1/2 off ( for next year )
    -19 sets of stationary ( which we usually gift w/ stamps and home made return address labels )

What have you all found?
    What do you do to escape last minute expensive gifts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do for the girls. I have a stash of webkinz for whatever b'day parties that come up, usually when there's a special one I pick it up and the store I get them at has the pet of the month for $5, so I get a couple of those. They are all the rage right now. I also do small gift cards and keep a little stash of those.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast